Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Honda civics used to be my go to car. Easy to diagnose and easy to fix on the street. Dumped quite some money into my last one to make it a sleeper, but sadly totalled it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Another thought...
What abput the little fuel pressure reg on the sender unit? Would this cause something like this if it started failing?

·
Registered
242 Posts
i’m sorry able. sometimes life just sucks. what’s the story on the ecu? are you parked under bamboo by chance? i have a shark helmet, two actually.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm going to leave the ECU for now.
Might pull the pipes apart next to check the cats to see if they are collapsing when they get hot.
Any reason to mod the pipes. :giggle:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
A few hot days in a row have been an absolute pain in the proverbial.
35C and I have no chance making the 50km home in one go.
The engine starts to get jerky and about 500m later it is unridable.
The video is from today.
I have the fast idle lever on full just to keep it running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Only had the gen 1 Z1000 for a few weeks now but I ride 500km a week to and from work and i have noticed something.
On the way to work I travel inner city then highway..... no problems.
Going home is opposite.
Temps go up and down. Fans kick in fine and temps go back down.
As I get near home the ignition seems to play up and starts stuttering.
Cools down and is fine again.
Today it was warmer and traffic was heavier.
Stuttering down into dying.
If I hold the throttle on enough to keep running it would go up and down.
I am thinking it is possibly coil breaking down under prolonged heat.

Any thoughts?
1-2-4 are easy as can be, #3.....ROYAL PITA...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Spanner in the works....
Had to take daughter to hospital for appendicitis. Been there every day. Looks like a Xmas break job.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hope ahe gets well soon! Not much celebrating going on this year anyway.
Might aswell work on your bike with christmas

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
does it feel like it’s running on 3 cylinders when the stuttering begins? I diagnosed a bad ignition coil on a buddies bike once. the way I did it was a used an infrared thermometer and check the temperature of the exhaust tube coming out of the manifold. Once I found which cylinder was colder I switched ignition coils out with one of the other cylinders just to verify and it worked. Bad coil had to be replaced. also I think you can measure the resistance when it’s really hot and usually it’ll be out of spec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
does it feel like it’s running on 3 cylinders when the stuttering begins? I diagnosed a bad ignition coil on a buddies bike once. the way I did it was a used an infrared thermometer and check the temperature of the exhaust tube coming out of the manifold. Once I found which cylinder was colder I switched ignition coils out with one of the other cylinders just to verify and it worked. Bad coil had to be replaced. also I think you can measure the resistance when it’s really hot and usually it’ll be out of spec.
The easiest way is to splash bucket of water to exhaust header and identify which cylinder exhaust dry up slowly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well.... that's different.

Previous owner has stacked a second voltage reg on the old one.
It is looking like one of the previous owners knew about this issue. Tried to sort it and have up and sold it on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm wondering if it could be an electrical generation or regulation issue. Can you check the input and output voltage of the regulator/rectifier?
Any idea on the voltage across the posts?
I don't have a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Another question for those in the know....
What should happen if you unplug the TPS?
While waiting for it to cool down so I could continue my way home today I was pulling plugs and checking connections.
When I pulled the front plug it noticeably ran rough but if I pulled the rear one it made no real difference.
Although if I hadn't started the motor and pulled the rear plug the start up noises (servo checking????) kept going.

To check the heat differentiation on the headers may be a problem as when it starts to run rough I have about 2 minutes at most before it is unable to run.
Another weird thing is when it starts to carry on, if I stay around 4K it is ok. Either side of that it starts pig rooting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I might rig up a way to test the tps and carry my multi meter with me so when it starts happening I can check for a break down in signal.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts