Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi bro,

Just to get opinion.. have any of u tried using HDEO into our Z1k? Any advise on this HDEO usage? I'm planning to use it in my next service if it's ok to go.

TQ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my country (Malaysia) we don't have Rotella.. we only have Rimula and i'm currently looking forward to use Rimula R6 MS 10w40 soon.. however, i cant find any API and JASO in its spec.. any advise?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ok, well 5w and 10w don't change the viscosity of the oil while at temp, it only reduces the thickness of the oil on a start up. Higher viscosity may protect better BUT if you run oil too thick it will not get to the upper part of the engine as quickly or as easily, with engine having tighter tolerances it is also possible not enough oil will get between moving parts to lubricate them properly and also may cause the oil not to drain back fast enough and you can run your sump dry. You should run the weight oil the manufacturer recommends, running a lower "W" is better in that it will not be as thick on a start up and will feed the top end and fill tolerances faster. a 5w40 is no thinner than a 15w40 at operating temperatures.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thinner and thicker are mis-leading terms. Two oils can flow down an incline at the same rate but one may have a higher viscosity. It's how much energy is needed to erase the trail of it which is the measure of viscosity.
The oil pump is a mechanical device, it will pump a volume amount constant across temp ranges. The heavier viscosity benefits on startup because the film it left behind protects better.

Green Hornet, you seem to be very knowledgeable and a pretty nice guy who tries to be helpful to everyone and I admire that.

In this Z1 motor, I'll opt for the heavier viscosity.

*edit - our motor oil not only lubricates the piston rings, cyl and valve gear, it also is used as gear oil - which generally is a heavier weight oil

·
Registered
408 Posts
We can agree to disagree that is fine by me. Viscosity generally relates to thickness in a way, the higher viscosity the more internal friction in the fluid causing a slower flow. In my own personal experience I had a friend who ran 20w-50 in his Camaro with an old model 350 and high volume oil pump, blew the motor because he was gear low and ran 3500rpm all day, the oil wasn't getting back to the oil pan fast enough. To each his own. In my opinion T6 is great stuff and a weight I would prefer to run over a 20w-50. I do believe there is a reason new vehicle run 20 weight oil and get more power and mpg than old vehicles that ran 40 weight, not that is has to do directly with the oil, but they must be doing something right.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I am also not really sure what you are talking about with erasing the trail as the measure of viscosity. The measure of viscosity is the rate of flow, which means an oil of a different viscosity would not flow down an incline at the same rate. Are we talking about two different things here? I did a lot of research on this a while back myself. Thinner and thicker are pretty directly related to oil viscosity as well, oil thins as it heats and becomes less viscous.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has the 5W-40 given you any issues ? I see that the bike called for 10W-40 and I was think about running the 5W-40 rotella instead

·
Registered
148 Posts
dragging up a three year old thread by people who no longer post here ?

please just start a new one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts