Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to replace my 2012 Z due to a few reasons so I have been bike shopping. I have had the opportunity to ride several new bikes and here are my observations :

S1000R - Truly a high quality machine. It has a relatively flat seat and a comfortable bar reach (I am 5'9"). The power is smooth and constantly increases
throughout the powerband. The bike handles superbly and is very predictable even when on a rough curvy road. Very useful instrumentation with a large analog tach and digital speed readout. The soft suspension mode seemed to allow the bike to handle as well as in the hard mode. However, the s1000r while humping through the twisties in both modes did not seem to handle any better than my Z with a custom Ohlins street mono shock and stock forks. The S1000r definitely has more top end pull yet the z feels torquier probably due to the z's short gearing. It has great brakes. The S1000r in the soft mode did not soak up the bumps any better than my z with the custom street shock but does better than a stock z. The S1000r has some fantastic amenities like ABS, traction control, heated grips, electronic suspension control and dynamic damping. The z however has a better turning radius at low speeds which I found to be surprising. Overall, even though the s1000r is a great machine, it made me realize that my 2012 z is a great machine also.

The Super Duke, another fine machine, has great features as well. Very comfortable, handles superbly but not as stable as compared to the s1000r through the bumpy curves. It's more agile than the z at lower speeds. Similar quality instrumentation to the s1000r. Great brakes, and a comfortable riding position but more upright almost like a dirt bike. Scary power. Very torqy but not really usable because the wheel comes right up like it does with the fz09. The bike sets too tall for my liking. It's a nice machine but doesn't satisfy me enough to trade for the z. I like the S1000r better as well.

The Diavel is a powerful cruiser that is light and agile. It's a cool bike that is easier on the body with comfortable ergos and the ability to soak up bumps but I could spend less than 1/2 the new cost amount and get a B King that is faster and handles better. Makes me miss my old B King.

The Monster 1200 s is the best looking bike in my opinion. The ergos were extremely comfortable for me. I could ride that bike all day. It has very useful power. Very torqy and I could use most of the power and keep the front wheel down. It accelerates at low rpms on demand unlike the z or s1000r. Reminds me of the 1700cc Vmax, it is that powerful, but does lose steam on the top end. It is agile at low speeds and has great brakes. The instrumentation is all digital, hard to see in direct sunlight, and complex. I did not like the instrumentation. The handling on smooth roads was very good but not nearly as stable as the s1000r through bumpy curves. Seemed to be harsher than the s1000r over rough roads. I actually like it better than the Z overall but the top of the line Ohlins suspension would have to be able to be adjusted to my liking before I would buy it. Also the exhaust can build up some heat by your right leg.

What I have learned is that the 3rd generation Z is one hell of a bike for the money. If I was going to keep the z I would add Ivan's modification to increase the torque. My biggest complaint about the z is the forward lean of the seat. I have Spencers seat mod and even though it is a little better it is not enough. I am constantly sliding forward with too much of my weight on the handle bar grips. It is too uncomfortable for me to ride any distance and this is why I will more than likely switch the z out for the 1200s.

I hope some of this info helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice writeup mate. I looked at all these bikes a few months ago before buying my 2014 Z.

I didn't like the look of the S1000R. Being an S1000RR owner, I just wanted something different and with character. The S1000R is a beast and great bike but has no character to me. It's appeal in a car park would only be to people on bike forums who know their stuff. It's appeal on the road almost crosses IMHO into SS territory but without the track focus. (Albeit it's probably great).

KTMs look like dirt bikes to me and that's the only reason I don't even test ride one.

I love the Diavel and will more than likely get one at some stage. I had planned on getting the Diavel until I test rode the Z and rode out that same day with the Diavel now on hold indefinitely (and happy wife given the price difference). Be keen to hear your thoughts on the Diavel vs the Z more if you get a chance.

The Duc I just hate the look of, though reading all the reviews, I would probably love the ride. Can't see myself on one.

Chose the Z because I am one of those polarised people (on the positive side) who think it's one of the best looking bikes out there (and I defy anyone to tell me those others are any faster at street speeds - the home of this bike and just where I want her to be). Every time I come back to the car park, there's usually someone eying it off and a long chat ensues. You wouldn't get that with some of those other bikes. :)

Rock.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Well put Rock. Exactly what I went through in May when I purchased my Z except I rode the Tuono & the Ktm as well but came back to the z1000. Almost flipped the Tuono then hit 100mph inside 150 odd metres(only a guess at distances, don't want to stir up the fact police). Awesome but not usable on the street. The Ktm was nice but didn't gel with it like the Z. The diavel will be my 45th birthday present.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well put Rock. Exactly what I went through in May when I purchased my Z except I rode the Tuono & the Ktm as well but came back to the z1000. Almost flipped the Tuono then hit 100mph inside 150 odd metres(only a guess at distances, don't want to stir up the fact police). Awesome but not usable on the street. The Ktm was nice but didn't gel with it like the Z. The diavel will be my 45th birthday present.
LOL...for me closer to 50 (only a few years away) but I still act and feel 23! :) Don't like this age thing.

Just thinking, where I live, there's this guy who rides a Diavel and if you'd never seen one before, after seeing him on it, you'd never buy one! If I was Ducati and onto this, I would buy the bike off him and give him anything else for free. Fat old f**K with his guts hanging out on the tank in a t-shirt not holding them in and skinny legs in shorts and thongs. Yeah, politically incorrect this day and age I know, but I am old enough to call a spade a spade. Sue me.

Rock

·
Registered
447 Posts
1200S is a great bike (has come a long way) though it still carries that 'Ducati tax' with everything from parts to service.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Good call there Dark. Didn't even mention the Ducati tax :mad:. Was another reason the z had appeal. They only use 2 fingers at service time :eek: compared to the others mentioned using 3 to 4 fingers & a thumb thrown in :eek: for good measure :lol:

·
Registered
233 Posts
great thread, I've also went through the whole dilemma before I settled on the 14' Z. Now unlike a lot of you guys, I never rode the previous gens of the Z, and I have always been a European motorcycle fan, I love the Triumphs and the Ducatis and the MV Agustas, for the longest time I didn't even consider myself ever buying a Japanese bike. Til this day I'm still a fan of the European bikes but the Z is the best bike as a whole package in my opinion. (Price, cost of service, performance..etc) Personally I LOVE the look of the 14 Z, it is actually a big reason why I chose it.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Now unlike a lot of you guys, I never rode the previous gens of the Z, and I have always been a European motorcycle fan,
Til this day I'm still a fan of the European bikes but the Z is the best bike as a whole package in my opinion. (Price, cost of service, performance..etc)
Personally I LOVE the look of the 14 Z, it is actually a big reason why I chose it.
:+1::+1::+1:Come from the Aprilia camp myself.:eek:ccasion:

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Not a bad place to come from :cool:

Enjoyed an RSV an SXV years ago...would love another.
I traded in a full factory 2003 rsv mille r on my Z (insert smiley head butting wall here).:screwy:

Don't miss the charging issue or cleaning those gold Oz wheels but do miss everything else :(

Would have been nice to be able to keep and purchase the Z out right :eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I hear ya. I had to do the 'brown plug' mod on my tuono so that it would actually hold a charge.
Great bikes though, bulletproof.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
:lol:, did that too. Worked for a bit but still had to have the battery charger plugged in when she sat in the shed :rolleyes:
Miss the sound and the suspension. Mate I have to stop I'm starting to tear up :(

Sorry guy's for being"ot:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Diavel is a nimble bike for its class but not like the z. The z is 40-50 lbs lighter and has a shorter wheelbase with wide handlebars. The power delivery is rocket like similar to the Vmax. It hits hard with instant acceleration. The Diavel was fun as heck to ride and it felt more comfortable over rough roads (a huge plus in my book). It handles surprisingly well, but my z carves better. I felt like the B King maneuvers the curves better as we'll but this could be because the sitting position on the B King is similar to a street fighter rather than a cruiser. If it wasn't so darn expensive, I would like to have a Diavel to be my cruiser.

After researching about the 1200s and discovering about their stalling issues, I will more than likely bypass the temptation to obtain one. Bummer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Diavel is a nimble bike for its class but not like the z. The z is 40-50 lbs lighter and has a shorter wheelbase with wide handlebars. The power delivery is rocket like similar to the Vmax. It hits hard with instant acceleration. The Diavel was fun as heck to ride and it felt more comfortable over rough roads (a huge plus in my book). It handles surprisingly well, but my z carves better. I felt like the B King maneuvers the curves better as we'll but this could be because the sitting position on the B King is similar to a street fighter rather than a cruiser. If it wasn't so darn expensive, I would like to have a Diavel to be my cruiser.

After researching about the 1200s and discovering about their stalling issues, I will more than likely bypass the temptation to obtain one. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The Diavel is in a whole different bike class compared to the Zed. And, I would not sell my Zed for it. The torque was very addicting and the bike was very comfy and handled quite well through the twisties. Would love to own one some day.

I too like the 2014 Z's and every time I think of trading up, I go out to my garage, look at the 'old' Zed and say, oh, yeah. Nevermind :cool:

:lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts