Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have only had my z1000 2016 for a week and noticed the Arse numing seat after the first day I then read on here that changing the bars resolves it more than swapping out the seat. So I visited a local shop and bought the ultra low renthals but what I didn't but was the fat bar and now I'm looking at the originals I don't think the centre clamp will tighten the ones I got as the oe bars are much thicker in diameter. So can someone just confirm what bars are the best to fit for the ride position to take the strain of your *** thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You probaby bought 7/8" size bars. Thats the size Japanese bikes have used for many years.

However, during the early 90's, a company called Answer Racing introduced an "un-bendabel Pro Taper" The new oversize bar was 1 1/8" diameter where it went to the clamps, then tapered to the normal 7/8" where the grips are.

The bar was so strong, the crossbar could be eliminated. It was expensive to make the change since one needed new clamps for this increased size. However, it was likely the last set of bars you would buy.

The bar was made from Easton aluminum ea70. Tapered in such a way to reduce vibration.

Over time, this oversized bar made it to streetbikes, and thats what you have here.

You need the 1/ 1/8 clamp mount sized bar. There are all kinds of bends made in this size.

Likely, you'll have a choice of a bar thats priced lower, and one thats 30.00 more in the same bend. For sure, gt the expensive one. The expensive series uses a tapered internal structure and is much more forgiving of vibration. The cheaper bar is made of non tapered tubing, is more still, and has a semi-lousy feel as compared to the high dollar one.

You did not ask, but a good way to figure out what bend you need is to put your bike on a rear stand,

Carefully climb on the bike, and get your body position correct.

Now, remove your hands from the bars.

Close your eyes, and put your hands where youd like the bars to be. open eyes.

Thats the bend you want.

I say this because there are hundreds of bends available, and doing this might keep you from buying the wrong one.

I always liked the KTM bend because it kept my wrists at the perfect angle, for me...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Rhyno, you know what always surprised me about bar bends?

I believe Renthal has, well, look at the list for the fatbar. I doubt most shops stock all 19 bends. What bend was it I liked? LOL

Renthal - Fatbar®

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lol? rcannon since you and I are both this forum and the GSXS forum, do you have a Z1000 as well as a GSXS to? the Renthal Street Low fatbar and the Pro Taper Contour series Carmichael bend are both nice handlebars, I think the GSXS runs the Renthal street low if i'm not mistaken

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Lol? rcannon since you and I are both this forum and the GSXS forum, do you have a Z1000 as well as a GSXS to? the Renthal Street Low fatbar and the Pro Taper Contour series Carmichael bend are both nice handlebars, I think the GSXS runs the Renthal street low if i'm not mistaken

No suzuki..yet.....yet. I hope I can, soon. Me want one very badly!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
No z 1000, I have the ninja.

I like the people here, and the z 1000. I came so close to buying the z when I bought my bike. If they had a green z, in stock, Im sure that would have been my choice.

My ninja is similar to a z, anyway. With so many similarities, especially back in 2012.

When I switched my rubber mounted pegs to the z's solid mounts, that was pretty significant in its transformation, and back then, one of the few differences.

By the time you factor in upgraded suspension, exhaust, reflash, upgraded brakes, lithum battery, etc, my ninja is pretty much in z configuration with a large fairing.

I think the z might be the better bike. It would have been, for sure, if i lived in a warmer climate. I think I have better wind protection, maybe.....maybe...

I do have access to a 2010 z, and have ridden it a lot. I think it handles better than my stock ninja did. That missing weight, up front, is a big deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So as promised the bars are on and feel much better my body position is in a much better position I can't believe how it does actually take the weight of your wrists and the numbing seat is a thing of the past thanks all for the advice

·
Registered
408 Posts
Are these lower than stock? I have been trying to figure out what bar I could get that would be higher, I like being upright kinda like dirt bike style. Though I don't know how far the cables would let you come up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slightly lower than stock yes but it's still a upright riding position. I changed them because the seat was killing me and read on here swapping the bars out made a big difference which I can confirm is 100% correct I've messed with cables on my last bike as I fitted higher sweep bars never again

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yea I don't want to mess with the cables. The seat I have gotten used to and I don't drive super far and still have a corbin gunfighter if I do take a long ride. Now what bothers me more is my wrists, throttle hand starts going numb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts