Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else swapped the front callipers for brembos off a gsxr 1000. I did recently and im funding the lever feel is not overly great using the stock master cylinder. If anyone else is running these callipers what master are you running to sort that

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hmm - depends.... I've got Brembo HPK`s on mine - I use the standard master which is fine... I would change it to the matching Brembo Master but I like the compact look of the OEM (no little plastic overflow!) however if there was an issue I'd swap it out like a shot (got and Rsv4 with a Brembo master on there and it's glorious...!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Which Brembo`s are they (pic?) - unless you know the model of course....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
OK - its really more on the piston size inside the caliper..... If they're the smaller pistons (my HPK`s are the bigger ones - more akin to the OEM calipers) so the OEM Master cylinder is a good match....

If you've got the smaller pistons (like a Brembo M50 size then you'll definately have to change the master) - I did the M50 conversion on my Rsv4 coming from the OEM M4`s which were paired with an RC's 19.....i changed them over thinking "yeah **** it - they'll be alright..." but they weren't.... I got what (I think) you're feeling at the moment - so had to sell it on and get an RCS15. Quelc

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The other thing (and I can't comment on this as I've got no bikes with Abs) - apparently the advent of just having the Abs pump and all that extra brake-liner if you will adds to the spongeyness..... Full of made up words I am today!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the abs pump killing the feel like this is my 3rd new kawasaki and tbh all of them have terrible brake feel until I either change brakes lines for braided or replace master cylinders.
Im tempted to pick up the gsxr brembo master that came stock with the callipers the parts guy offered it to me for 185 aud which seems cheap enough to try

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sorry - I can see the pic now.... (I'm on Tapatalk and it doesn't always load up)!

Yeah - so I think, they're the smaller pistoned ones.... I'd even hazard to say you might be just changing for the sake of it..? In that.... You'd need a different master to feel the difference.... As I've got both setups on my Rsv4 and Z I'll do my best to explain my interpretation of what I feel...

The zed: very strong braking I mean with the hpk`s it can brake really hard and give nice feel through the lever but, that braking force is in a very small window of movement on the lever.

The RSV4: I get the same hard braking at the end but, I get twice the travel in the lever to get to that point giving acres more feel..... So therefore more control (this is good when braking hard into corners....)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
As I've got the full setup on my Rsv4 (RCS15 and M50`s) and I know how insanely good it is (and, if youre planning on keeping it) I'd say go the whole hog and get the M50 RCS15 setup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea your kinda right about changing them for the sake of changing them like part of it is I absolutely hated the look of the stock callipers their the ugliest I've ever had and the other part is I wasn't overly impressed with the braking force especially as I was riding a zx10rr before this bike so trying to find that mid point of improvements and not breaking the bank too much. Tbh long term I could definitely see me picking up some m50's and the rcs 15

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It is a lovely setup.... I've got another bike also (an old Hypermotard 1100evo sp) and that's got an OEM m4 and Beringer master and that, again has monumental braking and even more "stabby" than the zed....! the Rsv4 is the best of the bunch but, nothing but nothing beats the look of the zed with Nickel plated HPK`s!

·
Registered
Gen 4 Z1000 R Edition
55 Posts
The Z1000R has M50 calipers and as far as I am aware retains the standard Nissin master cylinder.
Mine feels great but you can't beat the full Brembo system.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The M50 oem setup on the newer r must have a different master to mine as the m50s are smaller pistons than the OEM non r... I would say...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have the same gsxr calipers. The pads that these are supplied with are garbage. Try some vesrah rjl, like these. You an buy them onebay, too. Just make sure it's the 9031rjl.

I ended up buying a master cylinder, from a Ducati. I should have followed my own advise and bought good pads, first. I think the pads would have been enough, and even with a good master.cylinder, bad pads are are bad pads.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ah.... So that pad looks like the M50 ones I think... Smaller pistons...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It's funny because the pads say Brembo, and look like they would be good, but they were made for Suzuki. I suppose they are if you are Suzuki, and don't want the new owner angry when the pads wear out, in 8000miles, but they are definitely a friendly, compound. I would call them junk. Not what we want when we upgrade the brakes.

I wish I had known this, right from the start. Before this project, I knew pads were important, but I had no idea they were a huge part of the system.

I'll bet I would have stayed with her stock calipers, and master cylinder, had I known how amazing the Vesrah pads are.

Like everyone else, I had tried stock, ebc, and Galfer pads. After trying these, you can't help but think all pads are the same. I think I may have even said that when someone sent me a pm and told me about real high quality pads like Vesrah, CL, or DP. I'm glad they did. It saved me from a life of semi-**** brake pads.

I know Brembo makes good pads, but here in the USA they are very expensive. The Vesrah is a reasonable cost. Order a set of rear pads when you can. It even helps our lousy , stock rear brake if you drop some Vesrah pads in.

·
Registered
Gen 4 Z1000 R Edition
55 Posts
The M50 oem setup on the newer r must have a different master to mine as the m50s are smaller pistons than the OEM non r... I would say...

Had bugger all to do today so I checked the Cradley Kawasaki website. The Z1000R and the Z1000 have had the same master cylinder and master cylinder piston since 2017. I've just replaced my oem pads with genuine Brembo sintered pads. I haven't been out on it yet so I don't know if they feel any better.
They stuck with the same Nissin/Brembo arrangement on the ZH2 claiming it gave better feel which is a load of balls. They want 460 quid for a Nissin master cylinder if you ever need one!!!!!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Stand corrected then but I've got both hpks and m50s and they're fifferent pad shapes as I've got spares of both.

·
Registered
Gen 4 Z1000 R Edition
55 Posts
Am I correct in saying that the pads a Z1000R comes with are not 'off the shelf ' Brembo parts? Are they made for Kawasaki by Brembo?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Not sure.... But I don't think so... The spacing on mine are 108mm....perhaps an r owner could tell us..?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts