Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup:Got the Gipro and installed it. Love it and the numbers are green too!! No more looking for 7th gear.:cool:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
+1 why didnt they give us a gear indicator and a temp gauge? My only complaints about this awesome machine.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm so-so on the gear indicator. It would be nice but I'm OK without one. Agree 100% on the temp gauge though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What is the cost and how did you connect it? Inquiring minds want to know..

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm posting this from memory, so I might be a little off. I think it's about $120-$140, and you connect it to the ECU diagnostics plug, so it's completely plug and play.

If I get one, I'm going to get the GiPro DS-series in Red. I would rather get green, but their site says that green and yellow are hardest to see and red is easiest to see in direct sunlight.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Got the yellow witch matches the factory gauge color exactly. True hard to see in direct sun light but if you mount it under fly screen or as i did get a puig veiwing is no problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When I was looking at them on the website, I noticed the yellow does match the stock gauge color very well. I still don't have any place to mount one that isn't in direct sunlight because I'm sticking with all stock stuff for the fairing. I don't have any problems with wind on this bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought one and it does what it says it does, but is slow as heck in displaying the proper gear. You have to be in the next gear (up or down) for a couple of seconds for the ecu to recognize the shift change. As long as your main reason is avois that dreaded "phantom 7th gear sgift" it works great. Something about dropping down to 1st gear at a light and still seeing3rd of 4th being displayed is still odd to me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hatchie, thanks for posting in this thread. I didn't know about the lag with the gear indicator. I still didn't buy it, and now that you mention that, I'm not sure I'm going to. I've become a lot better at knowing which gear I'm in, so I might just start keeping track of the gear number in my head.

·
Registered
532 Posts
does the 3rd gen z have the attachment in the ecu for the gipro? like a plug and play? also, does anyone know of another system similar to the gipro since i hear that it changes very slowly?

·
Registered
532 Posts
does anyone have or used a data tool gear indicator? from looking online it seems they are pretty good and cheaper than gipro

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hatchie, thanks for posting in this thread. I didn't know about the lag with the gear indicator. I still didn't buy it, and now that you mention that, I'm not sure I'm going to. I've become a lot better at knowing which gear I'm in, so I might just start keeping track of the gear number in my head.
Exactly! 6th gear is 4k rpm at 60 mph Pretty easy to remember

·
Registered
440 Posts
The N1k is the only bike I've ever had where I look for 7th gear. But it's also my 1st I-4, so the higher revs throw me off. I never look at the dash anyway so an indicator wouldn't do me any good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts