Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you all are well. I purchased my friend's 2003 Z1000 that he inherited from his Dad (who unfortunately passed in a bike crash many years ago - keep your eyes open, distracted driving is the other pandemic we all are dealing with). We are keeping the bike in the friend family. It has about 7000 miles and is in great condition. I'm not new to riding. I used to own a 1999 Triumph Daytona 955. A group of us from WV would occasionally find ourselves at some of the road race tracks around the east but I'm old and responsible now! It's been awhile since I've seen some of the beautiful roads in WV that will allow me to enjoy the bike but if anyone needs a suggestion, I will try.

Take care, Barry

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Its a first year Classic, not unlike the First Mission to finally reach the Moon.

No-one under 49 or over 69 should have the Keys.

ENJOY!

·
Registered
187 Posts
bigfun,

WV is my go too destination for me and my orange 03Z. We generally base out of Elkins and run the routes that go over the Appalachian Mountains, Rt 33 - 250 -39, great roads to see just how good of a rider you really are. I've probably have made over a dozen trips there, was there earlier this month on new tires, left with just tiny chicken strips.

Of course replace all the fluids.

When you replace the tires go with a 190/55 ratio to help raise the rear end up. The stock bars may be too low for your extended rides. I went with Renthal high bars (1st Gens use 7/8) and I'm very pleased with them. The stock seat leaves much to be desired, but I replaced mine with a Corbin (only people still making them for Gen 1) and although expensive I like it.

We are limited with our engine upgrades there are no flashes for our ECU, and pipe setups, even just slip-ons are hard to find. The air filter should be replaced with a K+N unit and cut out the snorkle lid to the airbox. Maybe some EBC scintered brake pads.

I find that 120 HP is enough to do everything I want.

oh yea, I ended up with 17/44 on the sprockets vs 16/42 stock, this requires using 114 link chain vs 112.

·
Registered
405 Posts
excellent machine I hope you enjoy. And welcome to the forum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts