Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals

Today iv fitted Black Widow headers on my Z, the headers are very well made and very fairly priced. Easy enough job to do, few 8mm nuts to undo and some allen keys and you鈥檙e away!

One thing I would say if you are thinking about buying these headers is use the OEM gaskets, the ones supplied don鈥檛 seem to seat properly. I made the mistake of fitting them as I like new shiny things 馃槀 When I started the bike up there was a horrible tapping/rattling noise. Upon some investigation and a bit of help from Marco I swapped the new ones out for the original OEM ones and the noise disappeared!

I was a little worried about the bike being super loud so I stuck some baffles in when doing the headers and I would say it鈥檚 about spot on! A bit louder than stock with ends cans but not a drastic difference.

I haven鈥檛 had chance to get out on the bike as the weather is dreadful 馃様

Iv also picked up some used Brembo calipers front and rear and have been refurbishing them, waiting on braided lines and rear mounting bracket so I can get them on馃榾

A1F78112-A878-44BD-8106-6E8FB246D16B.jpeg
FA72AD2A-83EE-4AA1-87AA-B42B765FEB87.jpeg

87DA41CA-CF51-412C-ADA9-F9D3E83B9641.jpeg

Brembos before and after

7B625EDC-344A-401B-9324-F7E232CD3E3E.jpeg
F2F95545-0CA4-4781-8359-341982006D63.jpeg

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaned them up with Gunk and brake cleaner, then etch Primer , matt black hycote , then the letters are done with a paint pen, will clear coat tomorrow 馃檪

Registered
I got a question and a comment for you man. First for the comment, you really need a brembo rcs19 master cylinder to bring that all together.. the biggest weak point on the zs brakes is the master,, and the best upgrade you can do for your brakes is the braided line and the brembo mastercylinder. The calipers add bling, and if youre running a gen 3 theyre a slight upgrade being that theyre monoblocks. But the 4th gen has monoblocks already. The difference really comes out at high-speed and high heat for long periods of time.. the mastercylinder is where the power and the feel for your brakes comes from. Just a tip, and they look freakin sweet btw. andfor the question, what do you think about the black widows so far? Im thinking I might be better off getting the akra header while its still available.. I've read a lot of complaints about delkivic headers (thats who makes bw) and im wondering how the fitment is and how the quality of the pipe itself is. I can see the supplied gaskets didn't fit which only worries me. Ive read alot about the pipes getting restrictive at the bends.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest mate, im no racer and the OEM Z brakes are plenty enough for me. I just got the Brembos for a good price and its a nice little project (plus the bling) 馃槒

Regarding the headers, quality was great, fit was bang on and overall very pleased with them. Customer service is 10/10. Cant tell you much more than that at the moment not really been out on her Etc

Registered
I got a question and a comment for you man. First for the comment, you really need a brembo rcs19 master cylinder to bring that all together.. the biggest weak point on the zs brakes is the master,, and the best upgrade you can do for your brakes is the braided line and the brembo mastercylinder. The calipers add bling, and if youre running a gen 3 theyre a slight upgrade being that theyre monoblocks. But the 4th gen has monoblocks already. The difference really comes out at high-speed and high heat for long periods of time.. the mastercylinder is where the power and the feel for your brakes comes from. Just a tip, and they look freakin sweet btw. andfor the question, what do you think about the black widows so far? Im thinking I might be better off getting the akra header while its still available.. I've read a lot of complaints about delkivic headers (thats who makes bw) and im wondering how the fitment is and how the quality of the pipe itself is. I can see the supplied gaskets didn't fit which only worries me. Ive read alot about the pipes getting restrictive at the bends.
Id disagree in the nicest way....ive got a set of hpks on my gen 4 with the stock master and it has handled 4 days at the tt with 3 or 4 runs over the mountain section at high speed (came off and then went straight back round for another go) and pushing on from a speed point of view...

Ive had some full on days out with mates and not once have the brakes been nothing short of stellar.

Registered
I had an RCS19 on my ZX10R and it was a great improvement over stock. I needed to use the softer option as the other ratio was like a switch. I viewed the Nissan m/c on my Z with doubt at first,but like comfy it's all I need and I won't be changing it.

Registered
Id disagree in the nicest way....ive got a set of hpks on my gen 4 with the stock master and it has handled 4 days at the tt with 3 or 4 runs over the mountain section at high speed (came off and then went straight back round for another go) and pushing on from a speed point of view...

Ive had some full on days out with mates and not once have the brakes been nothing short of stellar.
I dont really think we disagree just a different point of view, the master that comes stock should be good enough and there's never been much trouble with the stock one I've read about. And the upgraded calipers are what you want if you're going to be running high temps often. Just as a technical exercise I think there's more performance and feel to be gained in the master, especially on a 4th gen. Practicality vs technicality I suppose.

And congrats on being able to run the tt man, I doubt I'd ever get a visa to visit

Registered
Also how do you know BW & Delkevic are related? Just out of interest
That ive read through old forum posts if not on here then on ridersworld or whatever. They also used to be vended under the name sandy something or another based on my research. Lot of complaints that made me nervous but most of them are 5-10 years old now. I know the uk based guys will know more, but if you look at the price of delkavic and bw headers you'll find theyre suspiciously similar in price.

Registered
I dont really think we disagree just a different point of view, the master that comes stock should be good enough and there's never been much trouble with the stock one I've read about. And the upgraded calipers are what you want if you're going to be running high temps often. Just as a technical exercise I think there's more performance and feel to be gained in the master, especially on a 4th gen. Practicality vs technicality I suppose.

And congrats on being able to run the tt man, I doubt I'd ever get a visa to visit
Yeah... I know what you mean... I do have an rcs on my rsv4 and I would say it gives feel but no more power though... For me anyway...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
That ive read through old forum posts if not on here then on ridersworld or whatever. They also used to be vended under the name sandy something or another based on my research. Lot of complaints that made me nervous but most of them are 5-10 years old now. I know the uk based guys will know more, but if you look at the price of delkavic and bw headers you'll find theyre suspiciously similar in price.
yeah i agree they look very similar and very similar price 馃

i did ask the question and they said they have nothing to do with Delkevic 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
I had an RCS19 on my ZX10R and it was a great improvement over stock. I needed to use the softer option as the other ratio was like a switch. I viewed the Nissan m/c on my Z with doubt at first,but like comfy it's all I need and I won't be changing it.
this, upgrading you master is not a performance upgrade modification, it's a personal preference modification. As I mentioned in other threads, I upgraded to a Brembo 18MCS because I have always preferred the softer, more progressive brake feel of the 18mm over the immediate bite of a larger 19 or 20mm diameter pistons. Some people prefer it the other way around. This is the only reason I recommend the CostaCorta, so that you can figure out which cylinder size you like the feel of, if you have never compared before. If you already know you like a smaller or larger master, then just buy a non-adjustable 18 or 20MCS for $100 used off an OEM and you get the exact same performance as the $350 adjustable CostaCorta. Pretty much everyone just sets their adjustable master size up once and never touches it again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts