Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm from Sydney, Australia, hoping to upgrade from my 2013 Ninja 650 to a Z1k soon. Just got to get my Mrs across the line. 馃槥

I'm only interested in the gen 4 (2014 to present) models because I love the look of them!

But what I don't know is the differences between all the year models.... I'm interested in every detail, planning to keep this bike for a long time. Clutches, gearbox, sprockets, intakes, tuning, appearance, gear indicator, any difference at all.

I've looked for a list for a while now online and can't find one.

I'll be commuting, sport riding, and touring(a little) . So I think one with a slipper clutch (which I think includes clutch assist) would be worth it.

Thanks heaps for your input! 馃憤馃憤馃憤馃憤

Registered
In the UK market there is the stock Z1000

Z1000 Performance - Two Akrapovic cans.

Z1000 R Edition - stock cans,brembo calipers and Ohlins rear shock.

Z1000 R Edition Performance - Akrapovic cans,brembo caliper and Ohlins rear shock.

I don't know if the Oz market is different.

AFAIK all the Z1000 from the Gen 3 on have the same engine and gearbox.Slipper clutch is stock on all Gen 4 bikes,I think.

Registered
I believe that only the 2018 and up bikes received the slipper clutch from the factory, though I would not let that hold you back as it can be retrofitted for $400 USD to any 3rd and 4th gen Z. These 2018 and up "gen 4.5" bikes also got a slightly revised instrument cluster with a gear indicator, along with revised forks to allow for the 100mm bolt pattern Brembo M50 calipers. The ones designated as R (as in Z1000R) also received a budget Ohlins STX shock (rebound adjustable only, no compression), along with the Akra slips-on for the Performance designated models, as Skub mentioned. The ABS has also been updated on these later bikes, presumably to make it less rudimentary, though that comes with the downside of your ABS freaking out if you try to run a 200/55/17 tires from what has been reported.

All generation/years were very reliable so I would buy the cleanest one you can afford and down worry about the model year or features, they are all mostly the same. Some years came in better color combinations that others. My personal favorite is the 2016 white and green one, mainly because we never got that color in the US.

Attachments

Registered
I dunno. The 5th gear problem that all of these bikes seem to suffer from made me sell mine with less than 10,000km on the clock...

Registered
I dunno. The 5th gear problem that all of these bikes seem to suffer from made me sell mine with less than 10,000km on the clock...
What were the 5th gear problems I have a 2014 with 40000kms on it and havent had any problems with any gears

Registered
What were the 5th gear problems I have a 2014 with 40000kms on it and havent had any problems with any gears
It appears to be a random,yet not uncommon fault with the 3rd and 4th generation Z1000,though I've only heard of 4th gear problems. The bikes jump out of 4th gear when revved hard. Repair necessitates a complete engine strip,so most folk just buy another engine and swap over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts