Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Had the thou for a while now and got a the feel of the bike and have done a lot of searching for a decent alternative for the z1000 shock but not finding much other than aftermarket. Now this may be an old one but surely there must be another oem shock that is a direct fit and has sufficient adjustment? zx10r or any other sportsbike shock that can be obtained second hand, low ks at a reasonable price.
Anyone found anything?
Cheers...

·
Registered
84 Posts
it’s not necessarily cheap but it’s an option. I’m 196 pounds and adjusted the spanner nut down to turns recently on the rear shock. If this it doesn’t improve the ride then I’m probably gonna buy something like this...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm ok, have you been able to adjust your rider sag correctly? my issue isnt with spring preload, i am heavier than you, maybe thats why but my sag is spot on. My problem is with the harshness of the damping, even with rebound all the way out and compression having no adjustment!!! i reckon the rear just cant keep up with harsh bumps and its those jolts that seem to be unsettling the rear on fast corners. Maybe aftermarket is the only way to go...

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
My problem is as I am cruising by some noobies the rear end will hit something & I end up with my baby making equipment slammed up against the tank - rear suspension is just too hard

·
Registered
84 Posts
I’ve done two rotations on the rear shock spanner nut but I seem to still have 10 mm of static sag. I know I can keep making adjustments but maybe i should do some more riding to determine if this is making things better or worse before i get ahead of myself. I believe the target is 25 to 30 mm of static sag for the rear?? I think the rear stock suspension is one of the limiting components on a standard Z. I wish they would’ve brought the special edition or “R” model to the states. I would’ve bought one which has the Ohlins rear shock standard equipment.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think your best alternatives for stock suspension on the Z are Ohlins, Hyperpro or Nitron. Ohlins and hyperpro are not very cheap though

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
I’ve done two rotations on the rear shock spanner nut but I seem to still have 10 mm of static sag. I know I can keep making adjustments but maybe i should do some more riding to determine if this is making things better or worse before i get ahead of myself. I believe the target is 25 to 30 mm of static sag for the rear?? I think the rear stock suspension is one of the limiting components on a standard Z. I wish they would’ve brought the special edition or “R” model to the states. I would’ve bought one which has the Ohlins rear shock standard equipment.
As I heard you dont get the topline shocks from ohlins on the z1000r. From hear say, I understood that the ohlins on a Z1000R aren't fully adjustable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As I heard you dont get the topline shocks from ohlins on the z1000r. From hear say, I understood that the ohlins on a Z1000R aren't fully adjustable.

Quite true indeed.

The Ohlins on my Z1000R is only beginning to break in after 1k miles,I reckon it'll take another 500 or so to see where we are.

I think I'll be able to get a setting that suits me,but this shock isn't anywhere near the same spec as the Ohlins I had on my ZX10R. For example,rebound and compression are on the same adjuster,now that's just silly since they do opposite things. The shock also seems oversprung for me,but again I'm going to give it a few miles,a set of tyres I prefer and see where we get.

I have quite a good balance between comfort and sport,but I think there is more to come.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I emailed Ohlins about the STX46 shock and they confirmed limited adjustment options on their entry-level shock.

it looks like Nitron sells the R2 which is for street and track that could work. But it’s expensive with the preload adjuster which i would want.

I also found Maxton shocks. There’s a guy on YouTube that’s a weekend racer that put a rear on a GEN three.

Does anyone know anything about these companies whether or not they’re good companies? Also does anyone have their shocks on their bike and can speak to them on how well they work or don’t?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed Ohlins about the STX46 shock and they confirmed limited adjustment options on their entry-level shock.

it looks like Nitron sells the R2 which is for street and track that could work. But it’s expensive with the preload adjuster which i would want.

I also found Maxton shocks. There’s a guy on YouTube that’s a weekend racer that put a rear on a GEN three.

Does anyone know anything about these companies whether or not they’re good companies? Also does anyone have their shocks on their bike and can speak to them on how well they work or don’t?

Another option is Bitubo from Italy, not mega expensive.....put one on my TL1000R years ago.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm running the HyperPro (black Yacugar version) 3 way adjustable rear shock. It's the single biggest improvement I have made suspension wise, even though I paid a lot more for my fork setup. 3-way adjustable means it's rebound adjustable like the stock shock, but also has both high and low speed compression adjustments, meaning you can harden the low speed adjuster for more feel in the corners but at the same time soften the high speed to absorb bigger bumps/hits. The biggest issue with the stock shock is that the high speed damping is way too stiff and there is no way to adjust it.

The hyperpro comes with a remote reservoir so that the shock doesn't overheat after prolonged use, and also comes with a remote preload adjuster so that you can adjust spring stiffness on the fly, just by reaching down to the clutch cover.

·
Registered
136 Posts

the 3rd gen and 4th gen shocks are 100% interchangeable even though most aftermarket manufacturers show different part numbers for each. They are the same length and same mounting. The 3rd and 4th gen has different linkages so as long as you retain your original linkage, you can use a 3rd gen shock in your 4th gen. My HyperPro shock on my 3rd gen has a part number intended for a 4th gen, because the ones Hyperpro shows for the 3rd gen only come in purpose, which I'm not really down with :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
136 Posts
here is Maxton’s response for their recommended solutions...
I'm about to put my complete racetech forks up for sale, if anyone is interested. I'm having custom Ohlins FGK forks built for my bike as we speak. My racetech's should be available in about a week. Fit's both 3rd and 4th gen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here’s some more info from Maxton. It’s a few more bucks if you want the hydraulic preload adjuster. i’m not sure what VAT means though. I think I might try this rear shock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i’m not sure what VAT means though. I think I might try this rear shock.
VAT = value added tax. In the UK this is currently charged at 20%. So the £200 extra for the preload adjuster gets a further £50 added to the cost.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't think he needs to pay the VAT as he is not a resident of the UK. I regularly buy stuff off amazon.co.uk and amazon.de and during checkout the price of the item drops by 20% once I enter in my address.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think he needs to pay the VAT as he is not a resident of the UK. I regularly buy stuff off amazon.co.uk and amazon.de and during checkout the price of the item drops by 20% once I enter in my address.
Yep,that's true. Vat does not apply to a customer outside the UK or EU.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So Maxton emailed me back and said that they do not sell in the USA. :cry:

So I’m looking at the R2 Nitron rear shock as an alternative along with a few other manufacturers. I’m waiting for them to confirm installation pics so i can review. i'm told that their R3 rear shock requires you to remove and discard the rear passenger foot support bracket to make room for the pre-load adjuster. i’m not excited about doing that and probably wouldn’t.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts