Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week after a pretty spirited 3 hour ride I noticed a “ new” kind of grinding/moaning vibration coming from what feels like the gearbox. It feels/sounds like when a wheel bearing is going bad in terms of how the rpm of the noise is proportional to your speed, but it only happens under deceleration and the noise completely goes away when I pull in the clutch. It’s less pronounced when the bike is cold and gets worse if I ride it hard, at least it seems to. I changed the oil this weekend and it didn’t change. I’m starting to get worried about damaging the bike if I keep using it. Problem is I’m addicted to the damn thing and usually ride it twice a day 😎 It seems to be happy with me just pulling in the clutch and not down shifting when at stops. How worried should I be about?

Bike has 18000 miles on it. I’ve only had it a couple months. Previous owner put a new chain and sprocket on it.

·
Registered
866 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I checked the chain and it was super loose. Almost 2” of slack. Tightened it up and now it has about 1” of slack. But now the noise is 10 times worse. Seems to be coming from the vicinity of the front sprocket. It sounds and feels so bad I’m debating on loosening the chain back up. Any ideas? I feel like I need to pull the front sprocket off and have a look at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts