Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

looking to go up one tooth on the front sprocket , can someone just confirm that the standard sprocket is 15t on the Gen 4?

also if anyone has done this, would love to know your thoughts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Final drive ratio is 43/15. I confirm both in the service manual and the owners manual and double checked on bike bandit. so 15 tooth front sprocket is correct.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ok thanks buddy. I dont want to mess up my gear indicator though 😬
gear indicator is calculated in ECU via the measured RPM and wheel speed as measured from the front sprocket hall effect sensor behind the sprocket cover NOT the ABS wheel speed sensor on the wheels. This means that while your indicated speed will be incorrect, your gear position indicator is unaffected because your front sprocket still spins the exact same amount per given RPM regardless of tooth count

·
Registered
252 Posts
mines a 2015 with an aftermarket gear indicator
you will not have a problem. Perhaps the 2018+ bikes have the ABS and engine ECU connected to where if it reads a speed discrepancy between the 2 speed sensors it freaks out, but most likely what happened is they butchered the sprocket nut trying to get it off (it's REALLY hard to get off) and now the sprocket speed sensor does read correctly because of it. I do recommend getting a new nut when you change the front sprocket, it's like $10 and there is a good change you're going to damage the original taking it off, leading to weird speed readings.

·
Registered
252 Posts
depends what your looking for. For constant 80mph cruising it probably makes the vibes a bit less. For me, I prefer the acceleration so I stayed with the original size front sprocket and went up 1 teeth on the rear to compensate for the larger 200/55 rear tire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts