Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all hoping some of you can provide some insight on swapping the front fender/fork covers & bellypan of a gen 4 2014 -> Z1K to the Gen 3 2013 Z1K parts - seen it done on a few Z1000's on social media and I prefer the styling of it.

Is it a fairly straight forward swap? any modifications to the fairings necessary etc?..

Registered
bellypan is a straight forward swap. The fender and upper fork fairing are not. The mounts are completely different and you have to cut up and modify the upper fork fairing as it wont clear the lower triple clamp bolts, and also you will need to make custom fender brackets as the bolt holes are in completely different locations. The other, more simple option 馃ぃ is to swap to 3rd gen Z forks and lower triple clamp and then it's a straight bolt on, tho I assume you probably won't want to do that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bellypan is a straight forward swap. The fender and upper fork fairing are not. The mounts are completely different and you have to cut up and modify the upper fork fairing as it wont clear the lower triple clamp bolts, and also you will need to make custom fender brackets as the bolt holes are in completely different locations. The other, more simple option 馃ぃ is to swap to 3rd gen Z forks and lower triple clamp and then it's a straight bolt on, tho I assume you probably won't want to do that.
Appreciate the advice! Have ordered parts will post a pic soon once they're fitted and its tuned with full list of mods 馃ぃ (help)

Registered
Appreciate the advice! Have ordered parts will post a pic soon once they're fitted and its tuned with full list of mods 馃ぃ (help)
what parts did you buy? Just the belly pan and the front fender / fork fairing? if so, see below for the adapter that you need to make in order to fit the 3rd gen fender onto 4th gen forks.

The printed numbers are in millimeters, while the hand written numbers are my CNC guy converting into imperial measurement, because America...

Attachments

Registered
Hey all hoping some of you can provide some insight on swapping the front fender/fork covers & bellypan of a gen 4 2014 -> Z1K to the Gen 3 2013 Z1K parts - seen it done on a few Z1000's on social media and I prefer the styling of it.

Is it a fairly straight forward swap? any modifications to the fairings necessary etc?.. View attachment 85747
you don鈥檛 like the ermax 鈥渃hin鈥 cowling? I think invitro just installed this on his Z and it looks dang good.

Registered
you don鈥檛 like the ermax 鈥渃hin鈥 cowling? I think invitro just installed this on his Z and it looks dang good.

View attachment 85769

View attachment 85770

View attachment 85771
that's basically a copy of the stock 3rd gen bottom fairing with chicken-wire added in for "looks"... The original, which will undoubtably fit better can be had for around $100 used on ebay, or $300 brand new from Kawasaki, or $280 for a carbon fiber replica from Motorcycle Carbon Fiber and Performance Parts - Motocomposites

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what parts did you buy? Just the belly pan and the front fender / fork fairing? if so, see below for the adapter that you need to make in order to fit the 3rd gen fender onto 4th gen forks.

The printed numbers are in millimeters, while the hand written numbers are my CNC guy converting into imperial measurement, because America...
View attachment 85767
View attachment 85766
Yeah ended up going with belly pan, exhaust cover and front fender assembly. Won't bother with the upper fork covers for the time being.

Keen as! Appreciate the CNC blueprint should makes things straightforward :)

Registered
A bit late in the discussion, but yeah i Do have th ermax belly pan on my gen 4. Its been on it for 6 years now. And i do want the 3rd gen fender and fork covers too, it looks so much better in my opinion. So that fender bracket will definitely help me. The grey one is done by H枚ly in Germany. It still has the stock gen 4 bellypan btw

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

Registered
if you look at the spot just right of the headlight, you can see where they ad to cut a square into the fork fairing in order to allow for space for the lower clamp to poke through. If they would have swapped out the lower clamp to a 3rd gen (and also bore it out to 53mm), then they would not have needed to modify fork fairing. If I ever get a 4th gen, then I'm gonna swap my setup over to it for a cleaner looking install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts