Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i said in the vid i dont take the credit for this. A lad from the Phillipines got in contact with me....were both at the same point...everything fitted - just waiting for the dyno's to open up so we can get back and get'em remapped. As i said in the vid now ive been out on it (and gone some distance) for less that a hundred quid its a worthwhile upgrade but only if youve already got a full system, air filter, map and block off plates....

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Comfy,

As always, lots of accurate detail, great explanation & excellent results.

Just the detail of the gold heat reflecting tape is a working art.

I asked Koggs the other day if you had access to a free Dyno?

Because you are always off to check what the measurable bhp dyno results will reveal.

Congratulations & Thank You!

·
Registered
358 Posts
My 2nd hand airbox should be coming in soon aswell. This should be the cheapest mod ever on my gen4.

Thnx again for your video

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No prob - im pretty fucking **** with any video editing of any sort but im not really interested in making it look pretty....just try to get the facts over....as i said in the vid...its bloody good for the cost of what you have to lay out....just make sure youve got some sort of mapping on there first...!

And more to the point thanks to the lad for showing me the idea in the first place!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Comfy,

As always, lots of accurate detail, great explanation & excellent results.

Just the detail of the gold heat reflecting tape is a working art.

I asked Koggs the other day if you had access to a free Dyno?

Because you are always off to check what the measurable bhp dyno results will reveal.

Congratulations & Thank You!
Sadly no - but i am very close to one (about 20 mins away) ive been there so much the lad that runs it gives me a good price....as its just literally the mapping im hoping for no more than 150 quid...all the other stuff like reduced engine braking, rev limit, o2 sensor and injector mapping wont change....just the actual mapping itself...

·
Registered
358 Posts
just make sure youve got some sort of mapping on there first...!
Yes, mine was finetuned with a powercommander on a dyno after i received my ecu from Ivan. Actually i need it retuned anyway, due to the decat. it is running too rich now. You can smell the fuel when idling. I'll go for a retune as soon as the airbox mod is done. Once again excited to the outcome.

Like comfysofa i had a dynorun before and after Ivan. To be honest... I should have done it after decat too, to see the gains from .

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
150 quid is a lot of money.

Great modification for cheap.

Do you think the heat reflection tape is worth it?

What does warm air do to the performance?

·
Registered
358 Posts

When heat is applied to most subtances , molecules will move around more and will need more space to move around. This applies to air aswell. For example, there are less O2 molecules in a liter of hot air then in a liter of cold air. So if you can get more O2 molecules into your combustion chamber , your combustion will be more efficient.

Thus warm air will make combustion process less efficient. Good example is a welding torch. With no extra air you get a yellow flame and smoke. Smoke consist of unburned carbon molecules. A torch with extra air creates a blue flame and no smoke. A blue flame is also hotter then a yellow flame.

I hope my explanation helps , I'm not the best in transferring knowledge

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Cant say if its better for having it but it does stop the heat radiating up from the motor. Engines love cold air...get your bike on the dyno in the middle of winter and itll make more power than the summer....as the bottom have been lopped off then theres airflow and an airgap between the motor and airbox....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got my air box,I'll buy the rest of the stuff I need and then I'll get some bravery and then go for it.... Ooow!!! No rush yet thow.... Maybe later...

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Didnt have the time to do it yet... so all is going in on saturday

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes i did, picked up my bike at my mates shed as i dont have the tools nor space at home to do it myself. General maintanance and airbox mod was done last weekend.

It could be a placebo effect, but it does seem the bike has some more power in the lower end. The throttle response is noticable different aswell in a positive sense. A new dyno tune and read out will have to say for sure.

The 2nd hand airbox came from a 2014 z, and must have ended up in some body of water. The inside was partially covered in a layer sand/mud when I opened the airbox.

I used a small angle grinder with the smallest disc instead if the dremel. It was was way faster than i could have done with the dremel.

Viled down the plastic burs and molten bits to create a nice surface to glue on. The plastic I glued on with a 2 component plastic glue, came from a serving tray.

I put some weights on the airbox and let it harden overnight, also serviced my reusable DNA airfilter with a K&N servicing kit.

Finally I coverd just the cut out with reflecting aluminium tape to prevent the airbox from warming up due to the engines radiation heat.

·
Registered
358 Posts
What were the results of this?
Very inconclusive results. There were too many variables oposed to my 2017 dyno run.

Dont pin me on the exact numbers, 5.00 am here , cant sleep anymore but still tired...

In 2017 I ran 146bhp I think, with stock airbox and badly welded linkpipes. That was in the winter.

After doing the airbox mod and better flowing linkpipes, i went to a new tuner, who was praised by others for his capabillities.

He remapped my PC5, and on the dyno it made something like136bhp on a hot august day.

So compared to 2017 i had a different mapping, different dynomachine, linkpipes and weather conditions. Ofc I wasnt happy to see only 136bhp.

A couple of days later, I went back to the guy from 2017. Still a hot day, he remapped my pc5 at 139bhp.

But this guy also wants to know if the airbox mod makes any difference. He suggested to come back with the original airbox aswell and do 2 more dyno runs. Thats were i'm at now in search for my lost ponys. Havn't gotten round yet to go back for 2 more runs, due to work and covid

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok thanks for that.

what do you mean by block off plates?
& also if i go down the route of a dyno tune do i need a PC?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Picture below are block off plates. Modern bikes have an AIS or PAIR system ,that blows air from the airbox into the exhaust system, to burn the fuel that wasnt burned in the combustion chamber, this is only to meet emision regulation. Side effrct is when you have aftermaRket exhaust and or a decat, this will make your bike pop and bang from the exhaust. Or burples or backfires, what ever you like to call it.

When having your bike tuned on a dyno, they stick a an oxygen sensor in your exhaust , tuners will not be able to get you an accurate mapping, because of false readings from the extra oxygen in the exhaust.

Tuners can clamp the system off temporarily while tuning. I chose to elinate the system completely, with the block off plates.

The new mapping that a tuner creates needs to be stored on a Power Commander (PC), or it can be flashed directly into the bikes ECU.

The plus points for a flashing an ECU :

- more settings can be adjusted, a PC only controls air/flow ratio
-no extra devices are needed on your bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok appreciate all the info.

couple of questions, where can i buy the blank plates and where do they actually go?

ok so no real need to bother with a power commander if the bike is going for a dyno tune/map

1 - 20 of 32 Posts