Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was headed home today trying to beat the rain that was incoming. I take a corner pretty slowly then accelerate kinda hard. About 6.5k rpm's. Now I know how to shift and it wasn't me just not up-shifting hard enough. Anyway, 3rd gear goes by fine then when i switched to 4th it caught, I hit the throttle and it started to pull, then all of a sudden nothing...rpms popped up and the bike revved. I immediately let off the throttle and right as i was starting to pull the clutch in I heard it catch....I clicked it to 5th gear and it took off just fine...I have noticed my clutch has been a little hard to pull and the shifter sort of double clicks hard each gear especially if I'm taking off fast. I just had the bike serviced at 7.5k miles about a week ago...The chain slack is right at 1-1.3'....Thoughts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know some of the guys will chime in with better suggestions, but I would adjust the clutch per the manual, and check the chain tension. I know those things seem simple, but it's a cheap fix if it works.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My brand new z did the same thing.

Shifting harder stopped the problem. If you think that you are shifting hard enough, take it to a dealer. It has nothing to do with the clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi pashnit, I've kinda lurked here for a little while... This little hiccup with my bike brought me out of hiding though. :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
it has happen to me ina bout all gears. sometimes you do get a false neutral. just shift with authority. and if it happens do exactly what you did. dont keep revving it, pull the clutch and find the gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks tfix, yea I never had it happen before it just startled me a little, but its reassuring to hear it's probably nothing serious...yea sometimes I do a lazy shift when I'm concentrated too hard on the road if I'm taking off fast lol. :p

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hopefully u dont have the same issue I had with mine. Had a pretty bad gear slippage in 3rd gear where it sounded like the chain and sprocket would lock and make a terrible noise.
Checked all connections, clutch cable, sprockets, and chain. Everything was ok. I believe I had some tranny problems.
Basically accelerated from 3rd to 4th and gear would slip just for a moment and catch again

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
try adjusting your slip lever down so your toe just fits under it in normal riding position. It could be that shift barrel has less ramp into 4th and you have not been fully shifting any gears. Worth checking, I've seen a lot of riders living with factory adjustments and can't believe how much easier controls are after adjusting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully u dont have the same issue I had with mine. Had a pretty bad gear slippage in 3rd gear where it sounded like the chain and sprocket would lock and make a terrible noise.
Checked all connections, clutch cable, sprockets, and chain. Everything was ok. I believe I had some tranny problems.
Basically accelerated from 3rd to 4th and gear would slip just for a moment and catch again
who fixed your issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
how did u fix it

·
Registered
252 Posts
how did u fix it
easiest way is to change the whole engine. I found a spare engine for $500 locally and swapped it out over a weekend. Replacing the gears inside the engine is a huge undertaking. I might have a good working low mileage engine for sale soon since I'm rebuilding my original gearbox right now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmmm... Thought it was only a problem with the gen 3's where 4th gear has been known to fail. Happened to mine. Time to replace your gearbox. Or go the cheaper route and get yourself a shift indicator and shift thru to 5th and avoid 4th on up shifts. That's my remedy anyway and haven't missed having 4th for years now. Or go the really really cheap route (free) and count your shifts.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hmmm... Thought it was only a problem with the gen 3's where 4th gear has been known to fail. Happened to mine. Time to replace your gearbox. Or go the cheaper route and get yourself a shift indicator and shift thru to 5th and avoid 4th on up shifts. That's my remedy anyway and haven't missed having 4th for years now. Or go the really really cheap route (free) and count your shifts.
Gen 3 and 4 share the same engine and gearbox. IT has happened on gen4 aswell, from hearsay. Done 35k kilometers now on my gen4, luckily no gearbox issues yet. Only warped steel plates in the clutch, at that point i upgraded to assisted slipper clutch.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Gen 3 and 4 share the same engine and gearbox. IT has happened on gen4 aswell, from hearsay. Done 35k kilometers now on my gen4, luckily no gearbox issues yet. Only warped steel plates in the clutch, at that point i upgraded to assisted slipper clutch.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk
it's really a hit or miss, my original engine constantly kept giving me a false neutral, that's a pretty strong indication of a rounded off gear dog that's about to completely fail and start popping out of gear under load. My new engine that I put in (with 9k miles) has had ZERO false neutral issues, I have not hit a false neutral even once in the last 1000 miles that I put it in the bike, and I don't expect this engine to ever have gearbox issues even with my rather spirited riding.

Think of the rounding of the dogs and it's degradation as an exponential curve, just like this shitty virus infection rate. In the beginning you might hit a false neutral here and there, not very often, time will go by, then it starts getting more frequent, and even more frequent, until you hit a point where it just won't stay in gear anymore. That's why I say, if your not getting a false neutral at least every ride, you probably got nothing to worry about. You'll know if when/if you hit that point I'm referring to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts