Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one put a after market gear indicator on there z do they work or are the useless

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered a GIPRO a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for it to arrive. Once I mount it, I’ll let you know.

But anything stopping me from shifting into 7th gear will be good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I bought this one and it works, perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Gear-Indicator-for-Kawasaki-ZX-6R-Z1000-Ninja-650R-Versys-03-06/252759144738?fits=Make%3AKawasaki&epid=549125605&hash=item3ad99e7922:g:pmgAAOSwygtan7Xz&vxp=mtr

Its worth noting that there are a few configurations. Some of them have the control wire entering the display from the top, others from the back. Buy whatever one fits best , for your situation.

I chose "back" since I have the Ninja 1000 and put it on my dash.

Mine was 100% plug-n-play.

The have a delayed response, and I'l explain. Many bikes come with a real gear indicator
and those have a built in system for determining what gear the bike is in....like my old 2003 sv 650. That bike could sit on its sidestand and its indicator would keep track of the exact gear it was in.

Not so with this type. These plug into the diagnostic port under the seat. They work by calculating speed and rpm. So, it basically says that at "X" speed, and "Y" rpm, the bike HAS to be in gear "Z"

That works well until you change a front or rear sprocket size. If you change enough, then it may display an incorrect gear.

Lots of them have a custom tuning mode. Be sure yours has that if you have changed sprockets. Mine is still dead on with my 190/55 rear tire.

The muted response is no big deal. You ride along and the display says "1"....you pull in clutch, and shift to second. The display does not show gear "2" until you let the clutch back out.

No big deal, and its a cool accessory. I've tried to fool mine, but have failed every time. The thing just works.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought this one and it works, perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Gear-Indicator-for-Kawasaki-ZX-6R-Z1000-Ninja-650R-Versys-03-06/252759144738?fits=Make%3AKawasaki&epid=549125605&hash=item3ad99e7922:g:pmgAAOSwygtan7Xz&vxp=mtr

Its worth noting that there are a few configurations. Some of them have the control wire entering the display from the top, others from the back. Buy whatever one fits best , for your situation.

I chose "back" since I have the Ninja 1000 and put it on my dash.

Mine was 100% plug-n-play.

The have a delayed response, and I'l explain. Many bikes come with a real gear indicator
and those have a built in system for determining what gear the bike is in....like my old 2003 sv 650. That bike could sit on its sidestand and its indicator would keep track of the exact gear it was in.

Not so with this type. These plug into the diagnostic port under the seat. They work by calculating speed and rpm. So, it basically says that at "X" speed, and "Y" rpm, the bike HAS to be in gear "Z"

That works well until you change a front or rear sprocket size. If you change enough, then it may display an incorrect gear.

Lots of them have a custom tuning mode. Be sure yours has that if you have changed sprockets. Mine is still dead on with my 190/55 rear tire.

The muted response is no big deal. You ride along and the display says "1"....you pull in clutch, and shift to second. The display does not show gear "2" until you let the clutch back out.

No big deal, and its a cool accessory. I've tried to fool mine, but have failed every time. The thing just works.

I think I have the same one, only I bought it from China directly(though aliexpress.com) and it was around $40 with shipping. I had it installed last week and just know it works, but have not tested it on the road coz its been snowing.

I also didn't know how it technically works. So thanks for sharing those details!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank u for all the info im may try one of the plug and play don’t really want to have to cut stuff. Also let me know how the gipro works for u

·
Registered
105 Posts
Does it show the gear you are in right away or only when you start moving in that gear? In other words, if you are sitting at the light and shift into 1st gear from neutral, does it show that gear right away or does it show the last gear you were in while moving ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
When you start letting out clutch it says gear so if you hit a red light in 6th, slow to a stop, shift to 1st and let clutch out just a little bit but still at a stop it will go 6-5-4-3-2-1. But as soon as you shift into gear about prolly .5 seconds it shows. So if you have clutch lever fully pulled it won’t show you changing gears.

It helps from avoiding fishing for seventh also if you do wheelies it’s a must I can’t tell you how many times I thought I was in 3 and I was in 2, it’s so hard to guess with the Z

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Does it show the gear you are in right away or only when you start moving in that gear? In other words, if you are sitting at the light and shift into 1st gear from neutral, does it show that gear right away or does it show the last gear you were in while moving ?

It depends on when you have shifted down to 1st gear....

Thats such a stupid answer, but its true.

If you rolled up to the stop sign and downshifted...like 3....2...1, while rolling, you'll see the correct gear displayed. AS LONG AS you have cycled your clutch.

However, if you do like everyone else.....you will be in third, lets say.

You pull in the clutch, as you are coasting to a stop, and drop 3...2...1.....

Theres no letting the clutch out, just a smooth coast down. At that point, no. It wont show you in first until you let out the clutch.

This sounds like a problem, but anyone who does not realize they have shifted down to first has to be very inexperienced. In no time at all, they will have this figured out.

The indicator is most useful for avoiding that impossible shift to 7th gear.

Its also pretty easy to summarize how this works, too. You wot get a proper indication of the gear you are in unless you cycle the clutch AND the bike is moving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like more shopping for me! On my old bike (SV650) I could tell what gear I was in just by my speed and sound of the engine...but I had been riding that bike for 9 years so knew it really well. Not to mention it was a v-twin and it’s a bit easier to hear the difference than what it is with an inline four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got one from Chinese off of eBay. It works excellent and the gear numbers appear almost instantaneously with no delay. Came with green and blue indicator and took about 20 minutes to install nicely, run along the frame to the front. About $40. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hooked mine up to the diag. Plug under the seat. I believe into the correct holes as my plug wasn’t pinned at first. B&Y Ground R&Y power and White data? It cycles then blinks “F” fault?.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought one from amazon and it’s been working great for like 6 months now .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts