Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

2011sx broke down on me. Egg smell from under seat and battery spitting little bits of acid. it was swollen and hot to touch

fitted new battery and no fuel pump noise. It now turns over but blows the 15a fuse that comes direct from the battery. I have also checked the 15a IG fuse and that is fine.

Could be related but 2 week before I was caught out by a deep puddle at speed and water came out of every orifice. Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?
Any advice will be appreciated. Many thanks John.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Water in the electrical fittings?

Do you mean you rode into a puddle that turned out to be deeper than the bike & everything got wet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The puddle was easily 12-18 inches deep and maybe 6foot long. I was travelling 65+mph. Lucky to stay on really. Bike was fine after that and the couple of times I used it before it died.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Then it may not be a water issue.

When you stated water was coming out everywhere I imagined you had drowned the electronics.

How many more miles did you ride it & stsrt up, etc - usually a moisture issue will show up immediately.

Stupid question - battery cables connected correctly?

My smartest suggestion here is if you cannot get an answer here immediately & cannot afford a mechanic, even more justification for taking it to a Professional - many stories on here where people destroy their ECU, etc.

You may have already done that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery connected correctly. The bike turns over and when I hit the start button there is a clicking noise from where the blue 15a fuse is. Every time I hit start the fuse will blow. I tried a 25a fuse and that didn’t blow. I’ll take it to a mate of mine at the weekend. No doubt he will sort. I’ll let you know what it is when I do. Thanks for your input Doc.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
You are on the right track but I know you will find some answers already here using the search feature.

It is definitely a short in the fuse, maybe a simple Relay replacement.

·
Registered
207 Posts
maybe the regulator/rectifier located in front of the rear tire. its been a known issue on 3rd gen bikes. pull off the rubber boot for a look and smell test

1 - 8 of 8 Posts