Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 2016 Z1000 abs about a month ago, seems from 115 mph and up it gets a bit squirrley feeling, I’m wondering if whoever had it was jacking with dampener etc adjustment on front end. Any advice on how to check, or see if it’s at factory settings?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry, no idea what the factory settings are. Not sure if the shock height is adjustable on the gen 4's. Does the rear look raised or the front lowered? That will change the rake to have better cornering but less stability in a straight line. My gen 3 has always been unstable at high speeds but I chalk that up to poorer aerodynamics as it is a naked bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would keep it at stock if you can, since it's already setup for Japanese people, which they are already small 140-160lb person (no offense). If you have passanger than maybe you need adjustment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would keep it at stock if you can, since it's already setup for Japanese people, which they are already small 140-160lb person (no offense). If you have passanger than maybe you need adjustment.
Thanks I agree but need to know what stock is and how to get it there.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Wow 12 stone....batam moth weight (im about 15)....well, the springs in my gen4 2014 are very stiff....so, my preload is backed off all the way.....

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I am 215 pounds/14.5 stone.

Never thought to adjust anything.

From what I understood, the only issue with the 2016 model was that some riders want to upgrade the rear suspension because its too harsh.

Plus I am not that good a Rider to feel I need to modify the power or tinker with anything but I certainly feel the potholes.

At 58 years of age my testicles don't hang as low which means 3 things 1. My sperm motility is decreased 2. The stylish seat of the Z speaks to my testicles upon hitting potholes 3. If I see a pothole in time I get up on the pegs dirt bike style.

·
Registered
95 Posts
right doc that’s what foot pegs are for! But don’t let the cop see you or you’ll get charge for stunning riding at least here in Canada how that works ha?? So stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
We would all be eligible within a mile of our driveways, if not we would buy the Z125* ...

I used LIVE as the setting on the camera to to give it an illusion of speed.

20200311_140529_resized.jpg
20200311_140533_resized.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm doing 135mph at the end of the front straight at Willow Springs, the bike is 100% stable. However my suspension is perfectly dialed in for me and I have aftermarket shock and cartridges.

I suggest resetting all of your suspension setting back to factory specifications, and then setting the fork and shock pre-load for you weight. You should have 40mm sag front and 25-30mm rear. If the bike is still unstable you might want to check the steering head bearing and also make sure no one lowered the ride height via aftermarket linkages or slipping the fork tubes down the triple clamps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ungarisch,

40 mm is a lot of sag for the front, it is my belief that 30 mm would be the idea mark. And I would say for a race track setup bring it down to 25 mm.

How did you come up with 40 mm ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
front gets more sag than rear as that is where the weight bias is. 40mm is what my datasheet says for my RaceTech forks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts