Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So here is my VERY high tech rotor test from this weekend ;). I have significant pulsing coming to a stop (not so much in the lever, just "grabbing". I could not identify any obvious bend. This is a 2003 I bought last year that had been sitting awhile. Are we thinking new Vesrah pads and clean the calipers? Thanks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
did you do a series of high speed braking stops (about 10) like rcannon suggested? I recall that the pad tends to melt a layer of itself onto the rotor (glaze) and if you get a high spot or excess material build up of the pad glaze on the rotor it will create that pulsation you’re feeling. When you do a series of high-speed braking your redistributing the pad glaze over the rotor again evenly. that’s the theory of how it works to get rid of the high spot. don’t just drag the brakes as it will overheat your brakes too quickly. this is very dangerous as you will be right on the limit of loosing your brakes in the process of doing this test. if that didn’t work then like rcannon said try to take a sanding block and scuff/ruff off the surface of the pad like he said to get rid of any grooves. don’t use your fingers directly with the sanding paper as it will create a wavey surface. always use the block with the paper. if it was me i would probably for go the less risker option and replace the rotors, pads, clean the calipers, grease the pin bolts and replace the brake fluid. check for fluid leaks around the caliper pistons and make sure it will push in by hand making sure it’s not particularly frozen. it’s the more expensive option but i’m a firm believer in having the best most reliable braking setup on any vehicle for my own safety and peace of mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
did you do a series of high speed braking stops (about 10) like rcannon suggested? I recall that the pad tends to melt a layer of itself onto the rotor (glaze) and if you get a high spot or excess material build up of the pad glaze on the rotor it will create that pulsation you’re feeling. When you do a series of high-speed braking your redistributing the pad glaze over the rotor again evenly. that’s the theory of how it works to get rid of the high spot. don’t just drag the brakes as it will overheat your brakes too quickly. this is very dangerous as you will be right on the limit of loosing your brakes in the process of doing this test. if that didn’t work then like rcannon said try to take a sanding block and scuff/ruff off the surface of the pad like he said to get rid of any grooves. don’t use your fingers directly with the sanding paper as it will create a wavey surface. always use the block with the paper. if it was me i would probably for go the less risker option and replace the rotors, pads, clean the calipers, grease the pin bolts and replace the brake fluid. check for fluid leaks around the caliper pistons and make sure it will push in by hand making sure it’s not particularly frozen. it’s the more expensive option but i’m a firm believer in having the best most reliable braking setup on any vehicle for my own safety and peace of mind.
I did some high speed stops but haven't replaced the pads yet. Thanks.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts