Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I picked up a 2003 Z1000 this winter and didn't get to test drive it as it was like 10 below out! Anyways I've taken it out twice now just for little rides around town and noticed the front end shakes pretty good when I grab the front brakes.

I'm assuming one or both of the rotors are warped? I would like to order new rotors and pads to fix this issue, can you guys recommend me some decent rotors and pads? They don't need to be the best out there but I would like a little upgrade while I'm doing it and preferably black rotors rather than gold or red etc.

Eventually I will ad SS brake lines and upgrade the master cylinder but for now the rotors and pads need to be swapped!!

Thanks guys :eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'd consider giving the lines and fluid a swap while you're there. I'd bet they're pretty old.

EBC supposedly makes good things. I've heard less-good things about Galfer's rotors somewhere. Pro-lite Rotors. HH sintered pads. If those rotors aren't pretty or black enough, their Double V comes in black.

According to the Parts interchange list (post 1 is interchange for Gen I):
Z1000(03-06), ZX12R(05-07), and ZR-7S(03-05) front brake rotors are all the same
-ZX9R (02-04)320mm front rotors
No mods required direct bolt on
So you could go Ebay hunting, and probably spend significantly less..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd consider giving the lines and fluid a swap while you're there. I'd bet they're pretty old.

EBC supposedly makes good things. I've heard less-good things about Galfer's rotors somewhere. Pro-lite Rotors. HH sintered pads. If those rotors aren't pretty or black enough, their Double V comes in black.

According to the Parts interchange list (post 1 is interchange for Gen I):

So you could go Ebay hunting, and probably spend significantly less..

I checked ebay and pretty much came up with Galfer or Chinese crap. Those pro-lites look nice but not black, I like the looks of the double V but price is a little higher than I would like right now. I put the double v and HH pads in the cart and it comes to $270, If I could get pads and rotors under $200 that would be great! If its not possible I'll have to save up a little longer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember, pads are sold in pairs and rotors are sold individually.
Really? So I would need to double that $270?

If that's the case then there's no way I'm upgrading the brakes lol.

I guess I'll have to look at other options...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You can fix what you have with a good cleaning. On motorcycles, you wont typically warp discs. Its more pad material being on the disc.

Id switch pads, for sure. Then try a series of hard stops from 80mph, or so.

Obviously, check to see if one os bent. That can happen. But the odds of "warping" the discs are not that high.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can fix what you have with a good cleaning. On motorcycles, you wont typically warp discs. Its more pad material being on the disc.

Id switch pads, for sure. Then try a series of hard stops from 80mph, or so.

Obviously, check to see if one os bent. That can happen. But the odds of "warping" the discs are not that high.

OK thanks I'll give that a try first!

What's a good pad to go with on the stock rotors?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Versah RJL Pads

Versah RJL pads much better than EBC, heard lots of folks having problems with the EBCs. There is a step down in the Versah line so you could go a little cheaper and still have excellent pads for the street. The RJLs are pretty much track pads but I've been running them on the street. You just don't grab to much front brake with them. They are a one finger pad for sure. EBC from what I've read have lots of chatter. I also have some changes in my front end and brake master. But They also worked well with the stock front end and original calipers before the changes. Just a suggestion, and what I like! Ash_z1000 is the one that turned me on to them. He has done the racing thing in his past and was spot on on his suggestion to try them. But as he said once there set in be careful not to Grab to much front brake. Just my 2 cents! Great! Day All.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I love Vesrah, and am considering having Vesrah tattooed on my forehead. They are THAT good.

I'll bet you fix the issue if you....

1...switch pads
2..clean discs. Use some 180 grip sandpaper. Dont worry. They are so hard, you wont remove material.
3...clean calipers. This means using a toothbrush and cleaning around the pistons.

At this pint, perform a series of stops from 70 mph, down to 20. Do this 4-5 times, and see where your at.

Your out nothing if it doesn't help.

The front discs you have are the same as the 04 and 05 zx12. That means they are overbuilt for this application.

If this does not work, and you have to replace, Id try ebay.

04 05 zx12r ZX12 Front Rotor Parts Straight | eBay

Still, I ran a bent disc for about 500 miles. Lets just say, "Bike A fell on to bike B. Bike B was knocked into bike C. Bike C was hit on its front rotor."

I straightened it to within 10 thousandths, you could visibly see it was bent. When ridden, it did not pulse. I had excess lever play because the pads kept getting knocked away from the disc surface, but otherwise, all was fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Versah RJL pads much better than EBC, heard lots of folks having problems with the EBCs. There is a step down in the Versah line so you could go a little cheaper and still have excellent pads for the street. The RJLs are pretty much track pads but I've been running them on the street. You just don't grab to much front brake with them. They are a one finger pad for sure. EBC from what I've read have lots of chatter. I also have some changes in my front end and brake master. But They also worked well with the stock front end and original calipers before the changes. Just a suggestion, and what I like! Ash_z1000 is the one that turned me on to them. He has done the racing thing in his past and was spot on on his suggestion to try them. But as he said once there set in be careful not to Grab to much front brake. Just my 2 cents! Great! Day All.
I love Vesrah, and am considering having Vesrah tattooed on my forehead. They are THAT good.

I'll bet you fix the issue if you....

1...switch pads
2..clean discs. Use some 180 grip sandpaper. Dont worry. They are so hard, you wont remove material.
3...clean calipers. This means using a toothbrush and cleaning around the pistons.

At this pint, perform a series of stops from 70 mph, down to 20. Do this 4-5 times, and see where your at.

Your out nothing if it doesn't help.

The front discs you have are the same as the 04 and 05 zx12. That means they are overbuilt for this application.

If this does not work, and you have to replace, Id try ebay.

04 05 zx12r ZX12 Front Rotor Parts Straight | eBay

Still, I ran a bent disc for about 500 miles. Lets just say, "Bike A fell on to bike B. Bike B was knocked into bike C. Bike C was hit on its front rotor."

I straightened it to within 10 thousandths, you could visibly see it was bent. When ridden, it did not pulse. I had excess lever play because the pads kept getting knocked away from the disc surface, but otherwise, all was fine.

Thanks guys I am going to order some Vesrah RJL pads and clean everything up then report back!

Ill do some shopping around today for the best price on the pads, let me know if there's a go to spot for pads. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Vesrah is pretty odd about making specific pads, and compounds for certain applications.

If thats what Vesrah sells, for that bike, Id do it. I've yet to be disappointed with any pad I ever bought from them.

Yes, Id get those.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I love Vesrah, and am considering having Vesrah tattooed on my forehead.
Just don't do it yourself! harseV

:D

Easy way to tell if your rotor is bent get the front up or even better, off the bike and spinnit!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It's a 13 yr old bike. Can't see dumping a lot of money into it. Just toss on a used set of rotors. Yours are likely warped.
Pashnit, I have a 13yr old bike that can go any place you would go. That's because I take Care of it. If it needs something I replace it with a good quality part (factory, aftermarket, used or new) so I'm not endangering you the public or myself. Not everyone has the ability to keep up dating as you do. So your commit about it's a 13yr old bike, don't dump money on it sucks in my book. Some of these young guys and old don't have a lot of money to spend. Don't you figure that's why a lot have to buy a 13yr old bike and some have to slowly get her in shape as money dictates. Believe it or not they love that new to them 13yr old bike as just as much (maybe More) as any one with a new or newer one. Or maybe your choice of words, dumping and toss just come across wrong to me. Oh well, just my opinion and we all know they all stink the same.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Its funny how people will throw out the warped comment without even taking 30 seconds to see how much different this specific set of motorcycle brakes are than their cars.

Seriously, think about what symptom a warped disc, in this application, would feel like?

Yes, it will push the pads back into the bores, and make the lever move further, but it wont pulse. a bent disc wont pulse. the pulse is uneven pad material stuck to the disc. A new pad will clean this right off, as wil a series of high speed stops with the existing pad.

Thats all it would take to see the four floating pistons and the rotors ability to move back and forth, slightly.

However, a car disc can warp, so by god, so will these...

A rotor change and pad change fixes this..really? You dont say?

Oh yea, if you change the pads, within 25 miles the discs will no longer feel warped. HUM...new pads must have un warped them?

I'm in to 13 year old bikes. For those of us in seasonal areas, this can equal not much in the riding time department.

Also, if you fully give in and choose to replace any and all, so what? Thats one payment on a new bike thats way more awesome than your old z because it has, uh...just about zero real differences other than styling.

Oh yea, in not trading the bike every four years, and losing money, you can add to the collection as opposed to buying the same thing over and over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its funny how people will throw out the warped comment without even taking 30 seconds to see how much different this specific set of motorcycle brakes are than their cars.

Seriously, think about what symptom a warped disc, in this application, would feel like?

Yes, it will push the pads back into the bores, and make the lever move further, but it wont pulse. a bent disc wont pulse. the pulse is uneven pad material stuck to the disc. A new pad will clean this right off, as wil a series of high speed stops with the existing pad.

Thats all it would take to see the four floating pistons and the rotors ability to move back and forth, slightly.

However, a car disc can warp, so by god, so will these...

A rotor change and pad change fixes this..really? You dont say?

Oh yea, if you change the pads, within 25 miles the discs will no longer feel warped. HUM...new pads must have un warped them?

I'm in to 13 year old bikes. For those of us in seasonal areas, this can equal not much in the riding time department.

Also, if you fully give in and choose to replace any and all, so what? Thats one payment on a new bike thats way more awesome than your old z because it has, uh...just about zero real differences other than styling.

Oh yea, in not trading the bike every four years, and losing money, you can add to the collection as opposed to buying the same thing over and over.
Some dudes just can't let go of the past. How'z that rotary phone working in your kitchen? :p

Thanks for the tip Roland, I'll try hanging out around here for a while to check it out. :D

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Some dudes just can't let go of the past. How'z that rotary phone working in your kitchen? :p

Thanks for the tip Roland, I'll try hanging out around here for a while to check it out. :D

Welcome young Squidlious!

Your bike is a little new, but what the heck. You'll fit right in!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts