Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the 4000 mile oil change & check up when the mechanic noticed a small nail in my tire - about to see it & old have patched it fir $50 but went ahead & upgraded to a Dunlop Sportmax* 180 versus the stock 190.

Mechanic guru said the Sportsmax is a copy of the Michelin model that is very popular.

He also said that the 180 gives more surface area to ride on than the 190.

Has anyone else gone to the 180 Rear & what is your opinion?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I would've went the other direction to a 200/55. Stock is 190/50. Ppl have said 55 has a better tip in (to corners). My Monster had a 180/55 and it was a hoot.

I don't think you'll gain or lose anything going either direction. Sportmax is a good tire. ...even if you got the 'baby' version of it!! hehe!!

Us men will be on the 190's. haha!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#$%@ - its too late now!

The mechanic said the 190 rides too much on the center, less on the side?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I would agree with that during your commute on the 5 !! Not so much in the canyon. Check your chicken strips.

Either way, you'll be just fine on the weeee lil 180 hahah! :D

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I got there he didn't realize the reason I was changing my tire was because his employee was the one who found the nail & explained that arrived with only 10lbs of air (I knew something was wrong).

But from his inspection he was "Wow, you really ride these stock tires hard ..."

I explained immediately the error ...

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Some tires have a better life span than others -harder compound in the middle. Based on your riding style, ie commute, tour, carving or... should determine what type of tire you put on. He should have asked you that.

I usually stick to the size of tires that came from the factory and replace them based on my style of riding.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some tires have a better life span than others -harder compound in the middle. Based on your riding style, ie commute, tour, carving or... should determine what type of tire you put on. He should have asked you that.

I usually stick to the size of tires that came from the factory and replace them based on my style of riding.
He told me this was a great tire, modeled after an early Michelin - he did say it was an excellent commuter tire & superior to the stock. I did tell him "I am not a Canyon Carver, too dangerous with kids coming the other way, missing the corners & possibly* running into me ..."

*happened on Angeles Crest Highway, only by a miracle did I not get hit by a kid coming the other way, missed the corner, just missed me & killed himself in the steel divider - broken neck

·
Registered
142 Posts
If all your doing is commuting or drag racing, it'll be fine as long as you don't exceed the load rating. Stretching a smaller tire on a 6" rim will give you a wider center patch (good for drag racing), but with the downside of a significantly reducing your shoulder contact patch. Also, your reducing your max lean possible angle as well, while at the same dedicating a smaller contact patch while at full lean.

I like taking corners fast, I personally wouldn't do it.

If you need commuting tire, I should still have several sets of Michelin's with the shoulders scrubbed off but nearly full center tread.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@#%× I was sold a Lemon.

I don't ride as hard as you guys though, I don't think I would notice the difference.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
lol! not a lemon!
180/55 was on my Monster and it was AWESOME.
You'll be just fine. Skinny and boyish, but fine! j/k -haha!!

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I should get my testicles removed ....

Now I see what you mean, its a narrow tire versus a fatter tire with more rubber on the ground.

If I go in there & raise my voice just a little, I am sure they will change it - when he explained it to me I perceived as just the opposite.

Why would anyone get a skinny tire?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Yeah you never know mate. You may get some money applied to the 190 but I would imagine them saying the 180 is now 'used'.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I always ride on 190's , it makes throwing your bike into twisties easier. I could be wrong here, but i alway thought a 190 gives a bit more contact area in corners/bends. I dont use mine for commuting purposes, but i think 180or 190 will not make much difference when going straight.

Tbh you cant go wrong with either. Its mostly up to personal preference and purpose.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They offered to change it out.

Then explained to me again that unless I am a hard canyon rider, I wouldn't notice the difference.

I don't ride canyons hard.

What about a 200mm?

·
Registered
142 Posts
here is my crude MS Paint drawing that explains the concept, it's a bit exaggerated for illustration purposes.

Assuming that rim width (shown in black) stay the same, the narrower tire (shown in red) will reduce contact path size (show in blue) while at max lean angle, the opposite is true for larger tires. And again the opposite is true for center tread contact.

However, when you go larger in size the tire physically becomes taller changing the geometry of the bike, pushing weight bias towards the front and reducing the steering head angle and trail, which are not necessarily a bad thing, but typically not desirable for a street bike because it make it quick steering and twitchy.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thank you!

He did say the 190mm versus the 180 is going to have less contact until I get onto the sides on canyons.

The Wisdom of being over 55* informs me NOT to use the extreme edge of the tires in the canyons surrounding a metropolis like Los Angeles.

Everytime you do you meet the conditions of driving in the Third World complete with Drunks, Road Debris & hard riding motorcyclists dealing with the same, in both directions.

The Snake photo area (temporarily closed)(for over 14 months), is an unusual phenomenon in Los Angeles where the entry & exit points surrounding those few curves, are very well patrolled by Law Enforcement & if you crash, its 99% because you & you alone, #@$%&÷ up.

*plus years of ER Visits, Hospitalizations & the years of recovery.
*aka now a ***** in the Canyons

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I was going to go with the 200 because of the same idea that I don't carve as much as I used to ...did I really ever? :unsure: haha PLUS it's BEEFY which is what I prefer.

Next set will have a 200 on the rear for sure. Gotta try it at least oncee! A guy on here ..Pashnit, I think, had a 200 on his and he drags a knee in corners. but like I said, for me it's about the beef. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think most people don't understand that you don't need to drag knee for fast corner speed, unless you're super tall or you're one of those apes that hangs completely off the bike to "look cool". My lap timer has a built in lean angle gyro sensor in it and according to it, the one and only corner (turn 16) at Chuckwalla where I do drag knee every time I'm at over 50 degrees of lean, though I'm only 5'-8".

Also, on the Z1000, with stock suspension geometry, your engine case and side stand touches down at probably around 52-55 degrees. My bike is lifted about an inch in the rear for this reason.

_MG_1756.jpg

1 - 20 of 46 Posts