Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I am going to possibly look at a honda xr650r tomorrow. I have been wanting a 650l for a while, but they're hard to come by and close to just as expensive as the 650r. The difference boils down to: the 650r has more power and is water cooled, the 650l has a little less ground clearance, softer suspension, and is air cooled. I want something I can ride for a few hours on the road and be okay; and something that will do great on trails/ full off road. My main concern, and this is where you guys come in, is the water cooling of the 650r. I worry about radiators and hoses getting punctured, etc. For those of you with Sumos (as i know most are water cooled), do you have any troubles or concerns with the cooling system while off road? Have you ran into issues with coming close to puncturing the radiator, etc? Am i just over concerned and chances are itll never be an issue to begin with?

mr mod guys move this to the right place if not already

Thanks all, ANY input is appreciated

'03 Z

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wouldn't worry so much about rad damage, but the R is a beastly off roader. Unless youre a big guy it will be a handful. Also the L has an e button.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 250r so i know what you mean off road. I know the 650r is bigger and all, but i get how it will respond. Evidently, and unfortunately, this is an L. The poster, older fellow, got it crossed. Either way still going to look in about 10 min. Will let you know how it goes.

'03 Z

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You want the aluminum frame 650r. You'll thank me in six months if you get this one street licensed. That specific one was never "street legal" but many made kits for them.

Its their Baja racer. Durable, tough and one heck of a machine. Excellent, high dollar suspension and unlimited hop up potential. The forks are to die for. If that wasn't enough, they made it comfortable enough to run at a race pace for 8 hours.

The "L" is much less serious. Radiators are a non issue. They make guards and they are easily repaired, if even necessary.

If you are going offroad, the r is twice the machine. Plus, just as good onroad, if not better.

It never gained huge popularity as it was 300lbs and not electric start. Its very much like a modern day 450 mx racer with 50 extra lbs of durable and smooth built it. Honda has HRC parts for it for crying out loud.

I would not commit murder for one, but lesser crimes...hum....

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well RC i ended up with an L. I know where you're coming from with the R but I have a 250r that I destroy offroad with. I feel I'll be well satisfied with the L even with the lesser power and a little extra weight. I'd love a 650r as much as you, but I wasnt looking for another dirt bike. I wanted a good all arounder and this seems to be a good ticket. Plus just like the R theres all sorts of aftermarket crap for the L if i ever feel down on power.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1453609392.928744.jpg

Ps RC check the plug thread again!

'03 Z

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cool!
I actually topped off the tires and tank and took mine for a spin for the first time in a month or so. Been having a blast on the Z and I had to remind myself why I keep it around. I remember now ..cause it's fun! So light feeling on the street she's a keeper.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool!
I actually topped off the tires and tank and took mine for a spin for the first time in a month or so. Been having a blast on the Z and I had to remind myself why I keep it around. I remember now ..cause it's fun! So light feeling on the street she's a keeper.

SWEEEET Ride!

What exhaust are you running? Full system or slip on? Is it loud? You running a stock carb or fcr?

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
I hadn't had time to sit and read this thread until today. Radiators aren't a big deal. I've never come close to doing damage to one of mine. The only downfall to water cooling is you have no fan so if you're doing low speed stuff or are stuck in traffic it will overheat pretty fast.

·
Registered
362 Posts
SuMo stuck in traffic? BUZZZZ!! :D
Cool, it's just a slip on yosh and wheels most everything else is stock. You can spen a ton of money trying to get a little more power out of the xr line but in the long run the bulletproof motor is best off left alone imo. I decided against getting my neighbors 650R because of the kick only. I wanted to do another project. I could see myself pulled over to gas up and kicking my brains out. Had an XT600 that was kick only and it killed me sometimes when it was hot. Heck i have a hard enough time kicking my 450! Speaking of...gonna go do some dirt ride today :)

CYA later suckers!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I hear ya on the kicking man! I get tired of kicking my one kick 80 lol. Maybe just lazy...? Have you found out about adding a kicker to the 650L for "just in case"? Thats a future plan for me. Along with 2nd and 5th gear mods (fixed that 2nd gear gap, and gives you more overdrive with 5th). Overall I agree with you about the reliability and not needing to do much. I just wish the initial crack of the throttle was more responsive like my 250. Evidently the best way for that is a pumper carb (another future project). How do you like rolling on the 17s? I used to want them but have since realized the necessity of keeping stockers for the off roading I will be doing. I think 92k is in the same thoughts currently. Speaking of, I am really glad to not have a radiator/ water pump/ etc. BUT I hope any of our fellow riders never have a problem with theirs! I'm sure you guys won't though. Cant wait to make some local dual sport/ sumo/ adventure buddies!

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
The WR450F has electric and kick start. :) You jelly?

I don't like the look of 17's on a dirtbike. They are too small, they make the bike smaller, they change the steering angle and cost a ton of money.

It's not worth it to me. I can buy a lot of $50 tires for that kind of money. I won't be taking it to the track and the Kenda's do just fine on the street so I'll stick with them.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Just goes to show how everybody likes something different . I Love:kiss: the look of the 17s and street rubber. And I can tell you I'm not going to track days ether (To old and cost to much here) I wasn't looking for a dirt bike, did that when I was young. Body couldn't take it spine would be totaled completely if I tried. Hell it's all I can do to ride the 11 miles at Deals Gap, so it all works out. Nice smooth pavement is my ride of choice these days. So that's why I bought the SMC and not the Enduro R. Only thing I don't like that well is having tubes again I looked into the setup to make them tubeless, but If I keep her long term I may go with Duke alloy wheels to end that. My Q3 front was $94 and back was $112 on sale this winter. Now there back up to $112 and $135. So buy in the middle of winter! 92k1500 any dirt bike would look small under your Big ***!!>:):wink: Surprised you didn't tell everybody how nice the weather is today. It's 73 :surprise: here right now 70s and high 60s all week. And we been dodging the rain too.:thumbsup: Great! Day All.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
**** I just drove through your state last week and forgot to stop in and buy you a beer. :( Congrats on your 1000 posts!

I mostly ride street but I still play offroad from time to time. No major trail riding. My buddy does everything I do while on street slicks. I just don't like the way it looks. If I was a foot shorter and 200lbs lighter then I might like it.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts

vs my buddy at about 5'8" 150.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
First time I rode the 690 around for a while and the wife says, that bike looks small when your on it! Now I'm going to have to look at my self in one of the windows down town just to see how goofy I really look!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
**** I just drove through your state last week and forgot to stop in and buy you a beer. :( Congrats on your 1000 posts!

I mostly ride street but I still play offroad from time to time. No major trail riding. My buddy does everything I do while on street slicks. I just don't like the way it looks. If I was a foot shorter and 200lbs lighter then I might like it.
Dam, on both! 1000 and no Beer.:surprise::laugh:

·
Registered
362 Posts
K, I'm sure you've ridden your buddies bike so you know what you're missing and if you don't like it you ain't missing anything :)
I personally love the look and feel of 17's its a hoot on the street I can't get from a 21" with d/s knobs.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very jelly of the kicker and button! BUT, that will be remedied. I have options you just will never have with your WR ;) I wanted the 17s for a while but love the full size wheels. Still wanting the cush hub if someone wants to send one LMAO. If I want to lean over too far for the stocker wheels, well we all have a Z! I like being able to use my dual sport completely like it should be. Everything from street to mud/ rivers/ dirt/ etc. No stopping the BRP!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts