Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
disconnected my secondaries & it fixed 98% of my popping problem when decelerating. i guess it was way too rich with the map i had on my pc3 & it was unburnt fuel igniting. wow what a difference in low end throttle response disabling my secondaries made. should have done that a long time ago. :screwy:

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well disconnected my secondaries on my throttle bodies. i tried about every map on the pc site with no luck. finally ended up adjusting the buttons on my pc3 manually, one click at a time

·
Registered
197 Posts
So i did this mod as well, fixed the popping on the downshift.

but now I have my idle is all over the place.

I also changed my plugs. Would that do anything? Make sure the spark plug caps are on tight or something? What would it sound like if one cap was loose? or am i way off the mark and paranoid.

The idle goes between 1050-1150 constant up and down.

where as before it sat nicely at 1100 as per the manual.

the sound is more up and down than usual as well.

hope that makes sense and someone can opine

thank you

·
Registered
197 Posts
havent done any mapping...still have stock exhaust and cats...so anyone else?

mapping is easy, if you have problems bring it to a pro for dyno and it will be amazing and powafuuul

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
sometimes you dont want to mess with a beautiful machine and keep it stock. i dont think ill ever get to the point of mapping and doing exhausts. sure it might give u lots of power, but the thing has enough power as it is.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
So i did this mod as well, fixed the popping on the downshift.

but now I have my idle is all over the place.

I also changed my plugs. Would that do anything? Make sure the spark plug caps are on tight or something? What would it sound like if one cap was loose? or am i way off the mark and paranoid.

The idle goes between 1050-1150 constant up and down.

where as before it sat nicely at 1100 as per the manual.

the sound is more up and down than usual as well.

hope that makes sense and someone can opine

thank you
Mine started doing the same thing. It lopes. I like it though. Makes it sound badass.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine did the idle fluctuation too. my tps had got out of spec for some reason. performed the procedure with my pc3 & it went away. heres how to set it with a power commander if anyone else needs it.
Configuring the Throttle Position Settings: **********
1. Warm up the bike to operating temperature.
2. Make the USB connection to the Power Commander and start the Power Commander Application.
3. Select Power Commander Tools, then Set Throttle Position.
PCIIIUSB models; A window will open with 3 sets of numbers, Closed, Current and Open.
PC 5 models; A window will open with Min. = Closed and Max. = Open
4. At the Set Throttle Position window observe the Current number or voltage. The number will be changing. Look for the average number or voltage and write it down. (the number or voltage half way between the lowest and highest number or voltages that you observe)
5. Left click into the Closed field and backspace over the old number. Change it to the number that you wrote down. Press the OK button. The window will disappear.
6. Return to Power Commander Tools, then Set Throttle Position again.
7. The following steps must be completed quickly:
a. Use the kill switch to stop the engine, leaving the key on. (except for Yamaha’s; turn key off and then back on)
b. Immediately after the engine stops, turn the kill switch back to its ON position.
c. Turn and hold the throttle to wide open.
d. Observe the number in the Current field, it may be changing or may remain constant. Look for the average or constant number and record it.
8. Restart the bike.
9. Left click into the Open field and backspace over the old number. Change it to the number just recorded. Press the OK button.
Verify the Throttle Position Settings:
1. Start the bike if it’s not still running
2. With the bike at idle the % Throttle window should read “0”
3. Use the kill switch to stop the engine, leaving the key on
4. Immediately after the engine stops, turn the kill switch back to its ON position
5. With the engine off, turn and hold the throttle to wide open, the % Throttle window should read “100”
If either the at Closed or at Open throttle positions do not read correctly, go back and repeat the above configuration procedure and pay closer attention to the average numbers being displayed when using the Set Throttle Position utility.
You are now finished with the Throttle Position settings

·
Registered
197 Posts
funny you say that! when i force the throttle off even more, it goes to normal idle!
so next purchase is that Jb Pro...uses pc software and maps anyway.

just hope i can find a map that works for now till i get headers/slip on

·
Registered
559 Posts
sometimes you dont want to mess with a beautiful machine and keep it stock. i dont think ill ever get to the point of mapping and doing exhausts. sure it might give u lots of power, but the thing has enough power as it is.
Yeah, me too.

I got over my desire to sqeeze more out of it............at least for now.

I am also wondering if it'll end up creating problems ......

·
Registered
197 Posts
to each his own right?

i personally enjoy modding my bikes...as long as its done right your in the clear.

not like were popping turbo or nos to create mad stress.

also the beauty of mapping, its simple just changes the fuel management...as in it makes it BETTER...many stock bikes can run too rich or too lean and this can lead to problems too.

·
Registered
532 Posts
to each his own right?

i personally enjoy modding my bikes...as long as its done right your in the clear.

not like were popping turbo or nos to create mad stress.

also the beauty of mapping, its simple just changes the fuel management...as in it makes it BETTER...many stock bikes can run too rich or too lean and this can lead to problems too.
that is true, to each there own. im sure its a lot of fun to be able to do that, but when u mess up, im sure there will be consequences.

it sucks that when adding a full exhaust you need to add some sort of fuel management system and that costs a tad bit more. so its always something you have to add to the bike. the only person i know who hasent had to do it is htech.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
that is true, to each there own. im sure its a lot of fun to be able to do that, but when u mess up, im sure there will be consequences.

it sucks that when adding a full exhaust you need to add some sort of fuel management system and that costs a tad bit more. so its always something you have to add to the bike. the only person i know who hasent had to do it is htech.
if u ask me playing with the fuel management is a lot easier then droping carbs and playing with jets.... just my :2cents:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
mine did the idle fluctuation too. my tps had got out of spec for some reason. performed the procedure with my pc3 & it went away. heres how to set it with a power commander if anyone else needs it.
Configuring the Throttle Position Settings: **********
1. Warm up the bike to operating temperature.
2. Make the USB connection to the Power Commander and start the Power Commander Application.
3. Select Power Commander Tools, then Set Throttle Position.
PCIIIUSB models; A window will open with 3 sets of numbers, Closed, Current and Open.
PC 5 models; A window will open with Min. = Closed and Max. = Open
4. At the Set Throttle Position window observe the Current number or voltage. The number will be changing. Look for the average number or voltage and write it down. (the number or voltage half way between the lowest and highest number or voltages that you observe)
5. Left click into the Closed field and backspace over the old number. Change it to the number that you wrote down. Press the OK button. The window will disappear.
6. Return to Power Commander Tools, then Set Throttle Position again.
7. The following steps must be completed quickly:
a. Use the kill switch to stop the engine, leaving the key on. (except for Yamaha’s; turn key off and then back on)
b. Immediately after the engine stops, turn the kill switch back to its ON position.
c. Turn and hold the throttle to wide open.
d. Observe the number in the Current field, it may be changing or may remain constant. Look for the average or constant number and record it.
8. Restart the bike.
9. Left click into the Open field and backspace over the old number. Change it to the number just recorded. Press the OK button.
Verify the Throttle Position Settings:
1. Start the bike if it’s not still running
2. With the bike at idle the % Throttle window should read “0”
3. Use the kill switch to stop the engine, leaving the key on
4. Immediately after the engine stops, turn the kill switch back to its ON position
5. With the engine off, turn and hold the throttle to wide open, the % Throttle window should read “100”
If either the at Closed or at Open throttle positions do not read correctly, go back and repeat the above configuration procedure and pay closer attention to the average numbers being displayed when using the Set Throttle Position utility.
You are now finished with the Throttle Position settings
\

this weekend im going to try this. pretty cool never knew it was there.

and htech do you know what elevation your at. i was running your custom map but i was afraid it was to lean.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im at 800 ft. above sea level. pull your plugs to see what color they are. should be tanish in color. if they are white, too lean.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I wish htech71 could have been a bit more specific in those instructions. LOL

Kidding. That's another example that this is a killer forum. Lots of valuable info on here.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
if u ask me playing with the fuel management is a lot easier then droping carbs and playing with jets.... just my :2cents:
:+1::+1::+1: I totally agree with this statement

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i do too. change mapping in minutes instead of an hour or two rejetting carbs. thank god for FI.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts