Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new member here. I have a '03 Z with 64,000 miles on her I am the original owner. Today, while running errands, my bike wouldn't start.
Key on, dash does it's thing as normal.
Hit starter button, no starter, FI light comes on then off, speedo goes up to 17mph clicking sound a tail section area.
Turn key off, the back on, this time FI flashes.
I'm thinking starting system, and the ECU is reacting to that.

Check battery, 12.65 volts OK
.12 volts at starter with button pushed-not getting enough.
Check starter relay: .2 ohm battery connected, approximately correct
open battery disconnected correct

Should probably run codes, I'm just stuck on it being the starting circuit. The clicking I'm hearing could be the ECU relay?

Electrical and FI, could chase my tail for a while here, was wondering if anyone had a similar problem or useful advice.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
ECU relay? Havent heard of that one before.
Whish i could help more,more details would help alot.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
get a service manual and check ALL the grounds

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ECU relay? Havent heard of that one before.
Whish i could help more,more details would help alot.
Clicking noise at rear tail section. That or fuel pump relay, atmospheric pressure sensor. ECU best hunch?

Very early in the process here, more details, and hopefully a solution to follow.

Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get a service manual and check ALL the grounds
Yes, factory service manual first accessory to all my vehicles. Of course grounding is necessary, ever check the # of grounds, connectors, etc? Hoping to come up with a systematic, logical process of elimination.
Was hoping someone might have had a similar problem they solved so I could short cut, otherwise I'll plod through it.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went ahead and did DFI self diagnosis mode 1&2, no codes. I think I did it correctly.
Interlock checks out OK
Starter motor 0 volts with starter button pushed.
Relay checks out OK again, but
0 volts out of relay with starter button pushed.
Kill switch OK
Starter button think OK but need to check downline
Applicable grounds checked as I go.
Pulling all fairings, covers, etc. now to check wires and misc.

Two prior electrical failures I think not relevant but who knows?
A blown fan fuse at about 38k, never happened again.
A blown main fuse at about 45k. tore the bike down at the side of the road, a over length screw in the T-stat housing rubbed thru the harness and main hot (white).

Still looking for ideas.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a problem similar to this on my 03 this past winter while I worked on it, one day just would start, everything lit up but no start. I checked near every wire on it and turned out to be a fuse right by driver's right thigh area that the previous owner mummified in electrical tape. Idk if it helps

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a problem similar to this on my 03 this past winter while I worked on it, one day just would start, everything lit up but no start. I checked near every wire on it and turned out to be a fuse right by driver's right thigh area that the previous owner mummified in electrical tape. Idk if it helps

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks, checked fuses first. Checked all but hot tests on junction box yesterday, need to make up some wiring for the hot test. Then I guess I'll just start following the wiring back from the starter relay, looks like it becomes a spider web quickly, Really dislike electrical, but satisfying when you finally figure it out.

Still looking for help, unless I'm beyond help.:dontknow:

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 04 has the same problem,FI light flashing,Fuel pump relay is clicking,Its doing my head in:dontknow:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 04 has the same problem,FI light flashing,Fuel pump relay is clicking,Its doing my head in:dontknow:
Misery loves company. I'm slowly going through everything, trying to be methodical. I'll post if/when I figure it out. Seems like a spider web everything connected to everything else. Let me know if you figure it out.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Misery loves company. I'm slowly going through everything, trying to be methodical. I'll post if/when I figure it out. Seems like a spider web everything connected to everything else. Let me know if you figure it out.

Mike
Hi Mike,I bought new battery and fitted it this morning,Bike started first time:)

No flashing lights or clicking noises..So hopefully that could be the problem with yours because the old battery in mine seemed ok:thumbsup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Mike,I bought new battery and fitted it this morning,Bike started first time:)

No flashing lights or clicking noises..So hopefully that could be the problem with yours because the old battery in mine seemed ok:thumbsup:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm getting 12.6+ volts, but it is the original battery. Will do a little more testing before I try that.

I've tested almost everything for continuity, and relays, junction boxes, etc. per manual. Way too late I checked the control(not battery) input to the starter relay and only 3 volts. I'm assuming this should be 12 volts and is not enough to close the circuit. Thinking of jumping 12 volts directly from the battery. If it works, rechecking everything-wires, controls, etc for voltage rather than continuity.

Anyone know if this makes sense?
Can a battery be putting out 12+ volts and holding a charge still be bad?
Guess I can't complain about replacing a 11 year old battery, even if it still has some life in it.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'm getting 12.6+ volts, but it is the original battery. Will do a little more testing before I try that.

I've tested almost everything for continuity, and relays, junction boxes, etc. per manual. Way too late I checked the control(not battery) input to the starter relay and only 3 volts. I'm assuming this should be 12 volts and is not enough to close the circuit. Thinking of jumping 12 volts directly from the battery. If it works, rechecking everything-wires, controls, etc for voltage rather than continuity.

Anyone know if this makes sense?
Can a battery be putting out 12+ volts and holding a charge still be bad?
Guess I can't complain about replacing a 11 year old battery, even if it still has some life in it.

Mike
Has I said my old battery was showing it was fully charged on the charger reading but still wouldnt start,Put a new one in and started first time..If yours is 11 years old it cant hurt to change it:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has I said my old battery was showing it was fully charged on the charger reading but still wouldnt start,Put a new one in and started first time..If yours is 11 years old it cant hurt to change it:)
Because of your post, I decided on 1 more test. Put on a short charge, then:

Across battery posts, switch off 13 volts
, switch on 7.~to9.~ as the relays cycle.
,starter pushed 6.~ to7.~ as things cycle.

Guess there could still be a drain somewhere but,

Looks like I'm going battery shopping. Feel a little like an idiot.

Will post results, may be a day or 2.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
First rule simplest to the most complicated. Don't feel bad I had a good friend that I was sure would have checked his batt so I took his word the starter was bad on his bike and guess what! That taught me to always start at the beginning no matter who or what. Probably the best way to remember! Glad you got it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Because of your post, I decided on 1 more test. Put on a short charge, then:

Across battery posts, switch off 13 volts
, switch on 7.~to9.~ as the relays cycle.
,starter pushed 6.~ to7.~ as things cycle.

Guess there could still be a drain somewhere but,

Looks like I'm going battery shopping. Feel a little like an idiot.

Will post results, may be a day or 2.

Thanks, Mike
volts mean nothing, its all about the cranking amps

:2cents:

hard to test cranking amps without bringing it to a battery store.

i have seen bad batteries do all sorts of weird thing to bikes.sa

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
volts mean nothing, its all about the cranking amps

:2cents:

hard to test cranking amps without bringing it to a battery store.

i have seen bad batteries do all sorts of weird thing to bikes.sa
Please educate me. Everything I read said dropping below 9 volts cranking indicated a bad battery. Saw it again and again. When japs indicated his experience, I did my test, then looked up the issue.
Don't volts and amps work together whether in your house or your motorcycle?

Thanks, Mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts