Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owned a lot of bikes but never a Kawasaki. Not sure about the reliability. I put on 18-20k miles/year. Anyway, I'll be picking it up Saturday (Ninja 1000).

I have the opportunity to get an extended warranty for a few extra years and thought I'd get some opinions on that. Necessary or not?

I've had no need for a warranty at all on some bikes and others...the OEM lost their *** fixing my bike. One OEM spent $20k over 2 years getting all kinds of stuff warrantied.

But I don't want to spend the money on something that may be rock solid for 5 years. They're asking $1100 for 5 years total.

·
Registered
555 Posts
At the price of labor and parts now days it wouldn't take long to go through $1,100.00. The Z is as solid as they come, however, there are lots of people on these forums with strange and expensive problems. The warranty is a good thing if you have troubles and your dealer and their mechanics are worth a hoot.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woohoo! One reply! I guess lots of people have real lives!:lol:

Thanks for the reply. I've read through a bunch of threads looking for common problems. Seems most of it is fueling issues or some strange noises. I have a few days to digest this info before deciding.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Do regular maint on your own. Keep your babies oil fresh and clean, and as long as you dont beat the hell out of it constantly you wont need the warenty extention. Kawis 1 year will catch any manufactured defects if you are a true rider(ride your bike more than on just the weekend a couple of miles) you will be just fine.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
if u do decide to get the warranty, read it over real good. alot of extended warranties are limited to what they cover & how much they will pay. some dealers dont like going back & forth with the warranty company to get them to pay.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards it now. Hopefully it will be a waste of money.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dropped my 2011 z1000 at the dealer yesterday. Found valve cover leaking oil. 1200 miles. First time I've ever had a valve cover gasket go bad. :dontknow:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually got the 5 year warranty too. Got a decent deal on it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My '03 Z1k. I would not hesitate to get on it, and ride to either coast at a moments notice; its uber reliable! It has 30.5k on the ticker now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For anyone who is considering getting the manufacturer extended warranty it pays to see what they are going for on Ebay.

There are always authorized Kawsaki dealers selling the Kawasaki extended warranty plans on Ebay for much less than most dealers sell them for in their showrooms. At present, the 4 year extension plan, which provides an additional 4 years of warranty beyond the initial 1 year of warranty is available for less than $350.

·
Registered
803 Posts
When I sold motorcycles back in the day we also sold extended warranties. The figures were pretty sad. For every $100 collected in warranty fees only about $5 was paid out in claims.

Maybe the newer extended warranties are better or cheaper but no matter you're effectively buying an insurance policy. One that the warranty provider is very sure he'll make money on overall.

Like always, YMMV etc....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I essentially got my dealer to throw in the 4-year extension for free with my bike. After negotiating my OTD price, told em' "oh yeah....I want a 4-year warranty for that price too." Never needed it with my previous (bought-new) Kawis, though I've sold them before the mileage got high. But again, I got it free!

Couple things to remember..... As mentioned above, you can purchase the GTPP from any authorized dealer within the first 12 month warranty period, IIRC. There are exceptions in certain states (such as Florida) where you are restricted to buying only from your bike's dealer. Which isn't to say you can't negotiate the price of the warranty, just like the price of the bike itself. A printout of an eBay ad would certainly help there....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts