Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
This is what both SERVOBUDDY & IXIL Exhausts shared with me - I am replacing the 2016 Stock Exhaust with the IXIL SX1, it's not a performance issue but aesthetics & sound - cleans the bike up so small children approach the spaceship but both they & adults run away when the engine starts;

From Jeremy at Servobuddy;

Hello Dr. Mark,

You can leave your original exhaust components (factory exhaust pipe, exhaust control valve, exhaust valve push/pull cables) intact if you wish (rather than replacing with a full exhaust system), however it is recommended that you disconnect the servo motor from the cables and remove it completely from the bike, the valve will be spring loaded and default to the full open position as long as the original motor has been removed. The cables can stay, just zip tie them up out of the way so they don't get caught up in anything. The Servo Buddy's purpose is to prevent codes when the original exhaust servo motor is removed, therefore if you have no codes, and the original motor is removed, it is working. There are no additional concerns for your particular model. Hope that helps, if you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Jeremy Decker, customer service

e. [email protected]
p. (970) 639-0513
w. www.skutr.net

From Chris at IXIL

Mark,
I have a had a few customers mention that they used the Servobuddy. I personally do not have direct experience with installing the Servobuddy so I can not speak in depth about it but from what I have read and heard it is a must for removing the errors after a full exhaust install. After all you are just removing more weight from the bike which is always a good thing. We will have to look into the distribution for this product it would be a nice addition with the exhaust. Thanks for all your input.
Chris

[email protected]
Phone 317-284-1348

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hi Doc! I just unhooked the cables at the exhaust and zip tied them out of the way -as Jeremy described. Later I re-attached them to the stockers for a three day journey. Once back home I re-zip tied'm. :cool: No error codes, ever.

I believe I later just took the cables out and vowed to never put the stock exhaust back on. :) No servo, although I have one rtg if ever needed.

do you have a pic of your rig somewhere?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Hi Doc! I just unhooked the cables at the exhaust and zip tied them out of the way -as Jeremy described. Later I re-attached them to the stockers for a three day journey. Once back home I re-zip tied'm. :cool: No error codes, ever.

I believe I later just took the cables out and vowed to never put the stock exhaust back on. :) No servo, although I have one rtg if ever needed.

do you have a pic of your rig somewhere?
My bike arrives in the next few days, sometime between the 18th & the 21st & its probably why I am waffling on about the Z rather than riding it.

Why did you reattach your stock pipes for the 3 day journey?

Here is a photo of the Z in the owner's* garage in Florida, it only has 900 miles in 2 years but the reason I knew this was the best opportunity in the USA was the Blue Donut seat in the picture.

*owner was 5 foot 7 Japanese guy, meticulous about everything but said it was too much bike & I believed him - he said the dealer in San Diego didn't allow test rides on the Z new & he fell in love with it through Z Forum & other reviews but within 50 miles of leaving the dealership he realised; much too much Bike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Hopefully it doesn't have the 4th Generation 4th gear issue like so many people talk about as I purchased the bike without physically testing it.

Bike is completely stock.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
My bike arrives in the next few days, sometime between the 18th & the 21st & its probably why I am waffling on about the Z rather than riding it.

Why did you reattach your stock pipes for the 3 day journey?

Here is a photo of the Z in the owner's* garage in Florida, it only has 900 miles in 2 years but the reason I knew this was the best opportunity in the USA was the Blue Donut seat in the picture.

*owner was 5 foot 7 Japanese guy, meticulous about everything but said it was too much bike & I believed him - he said the dealer in San Diego didn't allow test rides on the Z new & he fell in love with it through Z Forum & other reviews but within 50 miles of leaving the dealership he realised; much too much Bike
900mi, congrats. -(be sure to read here about changing the oil/filter)- Very nice ride and agree that donut would sway the most staunch anti-'riceburnerist' on the planet! -'new' word!!

Kawasaki outdid themselves when designing the Z. So cool to look at, and then you ride it. -perma grin.

Reconnected because my buddy was putting his stock cans back on, plus I wanted complete silence for the trip. At the time, I was glad I did. Just had to paint the stock cans black.

bought new as a left-over in 2012 -had one mile on 'er.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
The 2012 looks like a contemporary new Bike.

Was it all Black or did you paint it?

The Brotherhood - I have never changed a tire, this is something I should learn to do.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Thanks Doc.

Tail bag ...never did buy an OEM one or Kawasaki -the one that fit the lines of the bike. Still scratching my head on that one! The Cortech is for the longer rides. The smaller one is ok, but not really meant for this bike.

I bought the black bits from bike bandit.

Really nice out today hmmm -grin

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I have a Cortech Tail Bag & Side Bags - bought them used for the CBR500R-was going to put them on Craigslist for $100, I paid $150 for all on Craigslist but never used them - they are used - they wouldn't look right on my bike, dont know if they would look good on yours - $25 if you want them.

Send me you phone & I can text them.

(949) 274-0646

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
...The Brotherhood - I have never changed a tire, this is something I should learn to do.
Only plugged his tire (that was day two -of three). Total newbie to plugging holes in tires -as seen in the pic (instructions laying on ground!) Never had an issue with it the rest of the way. -I too have never removed a tire from the rim.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts