·
Registered
5,210 Posts
amen 2 that brother :eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
japan perfected the motorcycle back in the 60s when you had to be a simi mechanic just to own and keep other brands on the road. honda changed the motorcycle world. my kawa is a marvel of reliable operation. i never had a bad bike from japan. including a 40,000 mile 10 year old honda 750 night hawk.
you can have your duc and bmw no thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Notabiker, i wonder what kind of response you would get if you posted that on OCmoto? just joking but I'm sure it would get a few responses.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
A friend of mine is dealing with that very problem on his sport classic 1000

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Notabiker, i wonder what kind of response you would get if you posted that on OCmoto? just joking but I'm sure it would get a few responses.
i tend to say what is on my mind. sometimes i regret it. guys that buy those bikes want the status of ownership. they are just not interested in the truth.
i have talked to a lot of BMW owners over the years that tell me horror stories of BMW ownership. a friend used to work at the ducati dealer in BREA. and used to talk about DUC owners . funny stuff. i know you looked a long time before you bought the ninja 1000. hats off to YA fantastic bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Meh, as someone who has owned Kawasakis, Yamahas, Suzukis, Hondas and Ducatis and currently own bikes from all these makers except Suzuki, no maker is always better than any other maker.

Frankly a gas tank problem is nothing compared to the problem of a weak 2nd gear on the original ZX11, or the oil burning problems of the '08 CBR1000RR. I have direct experience with both of these bikes and problems.

Without a doubt Ducatis are more maintenance intensive than bikes from the far east, but all makers on occasion build bikes with significant flaws. Properly maintained, a Ducati is a fine bike. My 916 has over 50K miles on it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i will stand behind what i said about the big 4. take a GSXR 750 as a example. lube the chain, change the oil and ride it for a long time without ever seeing the dealer. that just does not happen with a DUC or BMW. it might only be little problems, but always something.
most jap owners can replace a clutch themselves on a JAP bike . try that on a BMW. i am sure if you treat a DUC with respect and keep on top of maint it is a nice bike.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Everyone truly believes that their ride is the best. Otherwise, they would not own it. Personally, I pined for a Duc Monster (and later the Streetfighter) for a long time before I bought my z1000. I realized that I would never buy a new bike if I held out for either of those because of the initial cost and subsequent maintenance expense. I could not (in my mind) spend 15K on a new bike.

I started to research other bikes, and decided on the z1000, mainly because it performed so well in comparisons with the Ducs and the Speed Triple, and cost thousands less. It made it much easier to get the non-essential expense acquiesed to (read "Approved") by my spouse.

I am very satisfied with my Z, having put 1500 miles on it in less than 2 months. Does that mean that I will never own a Triumph, BMW or Ducati? Absolutely not.

Just my $.02...

·
Registered
49 Posts
why pay more for a brand that costs more to own, and operate that will not out perform a bike from japan. i just do not understand this thinking. if japan made ugly bikes [ they do not] maybe that would explain it some.
And what Japanese bike might you be thinking will out perform the BMW S1000RR in stock trim? And why in the 2011 Masterbike competition did the Aprilia RSV4 Factory which came in second after the BMW beat all the Japanese manufacturer offerings?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Brand wars!!!!!!

I'm gonna lay out some sense here.

First, in racing, it ain't just the bike. The team as a whole, and the rider, has a huge impact. Sure in masterbike or W/e those brand did well, but last time I checked AMA standings those bikes werent doing so well. Like I said earlier, all these bikes are very similar. The S1000RR was based on a k5 gixxer thou. BMW comprised it's heritage for that bike (inline 4, chain drive, etc.etc.), most of these were pioneered by jap manufacturers. A true BMW is horizonitally opposed and shaft driven, IMHO.

Either way, it doesn't matter. As street rides, all these bikes are awesome. And talking about racing on a Z1000 forum (a bike who is meant to be more practical than the reply-racers) is crazy. How many Z1000's compete in that level of racing?

To each there own. Ray, let's see pics of that 916!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Everyone knows that the best bike is the one that is between your legs! It doesn't matter if it is a scooter at the beach, a dirt bike in the desert or a cruiser headed to Sturgis. If you are on 2 wheels it is the best! "Different strokes for different folks" That is why they come in so many shapes, types, sizes and colors. So everyone can find the perfect bike for their mission, whether it is for commuting, touring, drag racing, track days, canyon carving, impressing the girls, showing off the bling to the boys. As long as it is still running, still putting that big smile on your face every time you ride it must be the perfect bike. As far as expensive Euro models, they have been around forever in motorcycles and cars. Look how many super expensive import cars that are out there. Same with bikes, some buy them to impress and some buy them because they can't help themselves when they fall in love with the looks. When you buy a expensive whatever it is, Porsche, BMW, Ducati, it is a given that maintenance costs will also go up accordingly. Some people just have bigger budgets for bigger bling and some actually research and buy the bike that fits their needs instead of their ego. It's the same with cars, bikes, houses, vacations, TVs. We are just stuck in a marketing world that hammers you into thinking what you want, is way more then what you need, and worth it. Our job is to swim through the BS and pick something that fits our NEEDS, not our pipe dreams and to stay within our budgets. Not easy sometimes when you are starring at something, while drooling, almost within reach of your budget, and you gotta walk away, or go back to eating Mac N' Cheese to pay for it.
Sorry for the rant...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
about 5-6k cheaper too probably!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts