Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Wednesday night in the return trip of a shopping excursion I was sideswiped by a car going in my direction at about 80mph as I was doing 30 - the first thing that came off was the bullshit protection.

ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT - IT FELL OFF IMMEDIATELY but that was because I by accident saved the bike with my body.

But then I slid across the road between two cars that were coming in the opposite direction - the first missed by 4 feet but the second by 4 inches but its bumper tore my backpack off.

I slid 250 feet - the Kawasaki Crankcase was almost gone - another 2 feet it would have been leaking oil. I got up, couldnt start the bike. Had to push start it eventually.

Driver kept on going.

No-one stopped & this is in Bel Air.

Buy the PUIG frame Sliders - they saved my Bike & me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hamburger Anyone?

Dislocated left finger.

Badly sprained right hand.

Huge Bruises on my buttocks, back & shoulder.

Need a new pair of pants.

A Heart Shaped Abrasion on the Elbow.

All my groceries got scattered & crushed ...

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Buy better protective gear.
Seeing your choice of footwear, pants and "a lack of ?" gloves seriously calls into question your other choices
While I am not saying you in any way caused this accident, it's seems like new riders or riders who have had a long lapse in riding seem to have a higher rate of accidents.
While I do appreciate your enthusiasm for the you have shown for our bikes over the last few months, there's a certain bravado in your posts which to myself, literally bleeds over to this unfortunate accident.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Jim,

I hear you.*

And I dont think you were being condescending just unaware of who I am, aged 57, with 200 lives, what I do for a living** & the situations I have lived through & the details around this particular short ride.

I have had many injuries separate from riding because of my Work as well as motorcycle accidents, the latter in my later years never my fault other than I chose to be on a bike. Usually I always wear full protective gear. Especially since my last accident. In fact, the bike used cost me $7500, the upgrades $3500 which included upgrading lighting, strobes, horn, etc & an equal amount on the safety equipment ie; Helmet $850, no Leathers but everything else.

Normally my plan is if I am going on a ride more than 15 minutes I invest the 5 minutes it takes me to get dressed & pressed.

This was an emergency for my Elderly clients & there was going to be no-one in the store but me.

The store was up a canyon road called North Beverly Glen & about a mile away from the property & family I am protecting now. It's usually 90 seconds but I was taking 3 minutes there & 3 minutes back getting some emergency supplies for a client.

The entire road from Sunset through to the middle of Muholland is about 4.5 miles & it has some turns & usually very late at night the very rich local kids use it as a race track in all kinds of vehicles.

But there has been no traffic & the local store had a special order prepared for my clients so I slowly cruised up & cruised down around 9pm only to find upon my return my client wanted Spam. It was on the return trip to get Spam after just a couple of blocks at about 30mph that this lunatic racing through, couldn't take the corners & instead of braking (he would have slid into me anyway), he sideswiped me & I think I hit a parked car on my right first but all I know I was in a huge series of tank slappers, the throttle was stuck wide open & I went down.

The Witnesses said there was nothing I could have done & since they have stopped the Police patrols these kids are tearing up all the Canyon roads. Especially now, it's like a Racetrack.

By the way, like the Drunk that hit me head on 20 months ago, it was a Hit & Run (but last time the Drunk couldn'tget away because my body & my bike were under his car).

But being who I am, I got up, ignored people yelling at me, finally had to push start the bike, rode back to my position & in the middle of dressing my wounds & specifically stitching up an intricate double layer over a deep gouge in my leg, I hobbled out of my position (my RV), & got rid of my first intruder/lookiloo of the night.

*I heard you well enough that I think you should stop reading my posts as even the most benign is much too much racy for you. Keeping your fears to yourself will also lower your anxieties & if you cannot be constructive, be silent.

*I make it a point to be positive in my posts, no matter what it's about. Or you sound like a pompous, out of touch, old man.

**i have a huge responsibility right now protecting an Elderly Couple on a huge estate, not only am I a Physiologist & Medic but spent 32 years overseas fixing problems in the 3rd & 4th World & am employed here now using those very same skills.

**I am not going to say what I do & who I am, Koggs can share that if he wants with a pm between you two. No need to apologise afterwards.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DONT BUY THEM!

DO NOT BUY STICK ON GENUINE KAWASAKI CASE PROTECTORS.

DO NOT BUY!

Mine fell off immediately - they are crap.

Look at the case.

This piece was 100 feet from where I landed - as soon as the bike went down it fell off - I was saved by the Puig Frame Sliders that ground down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You are not Passive Aggressive Jimz.

You (in this negative Global Situation), are being Negative. Be Positive or Silent.

The last thing we need now is Curmudgeonly comments from the less physically competent.

Z1000's don't come Factory Equipped with Training Wheels for a Reason.

Such Motorcycles normally arent ridden by those whose needs dont exceed an Electric Cart.

And in this instance, if I had been a Car, it would have been different but the Motorcycle is there as a Tool when they start closing the roads...

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes yes, i'm got it clear :) will not buy them, thank you for a feedback.
but in your case maybe they was glued badly? did you prepared surface before mounting them?

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes did everything correctly.

More later.

Since I am riding for more than 10* minutes on an Emergency run to a Pharmacy for clients, I have my full gear here - what is not shown is the full length gloves - they are inside the helmet.

Plus I fabricated some training wheels with Mad Max Spikes on them to cause some damage to speeding, out of control cars.

Am I allowed to go for a ride now?

*versus the usual 15 minutes

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
They are not hard mount protection, they simply stick on with the 3m double sided take (prep with isopropyl alcohol or another flash solvent for optimal adhesion). They are there to protect the bike in parking lot tipovers and the like. You must've gotten a good whallop for it to fly off like that but it is not the fault of the product, just the nature of the crash. Rizoma makes hard mount case protectors or there are the R&G case covers if you are looking for something along those lines. I suggest leathers for sure - next time you go down it may be at a higher speed with the power these bikes have. We all know it is not "if" but "when". Dress for the crash. Speedy recovery (y)

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You are exactly right Mate - my body got in the way first - if you look at the photos you can see the shiny scrape on the case & above it the gray double sided tape

I was talking to GB Racing* who make them for the Ninjas see photo & the Z900 etc but not the 2014 onwards Z1000 & they said it was unlikely they would manufacture them in the future - I liked the Rizoma but there was another manufacturer out there that look bull bars - the Puig saved the day!

PS. I spent so much on my upgrades I made a solemn deal with myself to do the equivalent amount with the safety gear. And I think the Rizomas you has to buy individually.

*beautiful finish

I included a photo - I remember thinking the Rizoma was a stator cover not for the crankcase side - they were more expensive than the actual crankcase covers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you look closely you can see the piece of plastic lying in the direction of a thick black stain on the road at the beginning of the slide part.

And I remember now why I didnt buy them - they were MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE PARTS

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Glad you are good to go Doc. Crazy stuff out there for sure. -as for the short ride, I hear ya, I've put on tenny's, t-shirt, shorts, gloves and helmet for the short run to the market too. Felt like a squid but took the chance none-the-less. In hindsight not the smartest thing to do but...yeah, I get it.

Glad yer alright. Originally, I thought it was much worse. Get'er fixed while you heal.

This does make me re-think about those short, minimal gear rides for sure. Gotta come up with something quick to get into yet protective.

hmm t-shirt, Icon Stryker rig, riding jeans, quick zip boots, gloves and helmet! Done! (just need the $ ) :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In hindsight not the smartest thing to do but...yeah, I get it.

Glad yer alright. Originally, I thought it was much worse. Get'er fixed while you heal.

In hindsight, stay in bed!

Use a Padded Stroller from 1 to 50, a tricycle until 65 & then never leave the Bed.

Except for the long box ...

If I had been wearing full gear I might have been in a worse situation.

Those on the surrounding teams are not using that road but we have good info those idiots are going to be riding bicycles very soon - their own Bodyguards are not allowed to ask them to do anything or they are fired immediately & sent back overseas dishonoured.

Unfortunately it's a huge drag strip as it intersects Muholland Canyon (not where the Famous Snake is), but it is Racer Paradise all along the back bone from the 405 into the Hollywood Hills.

Healing? You have seen a few of my headshots - I am Superman.

This is nothing - the Calf hole is over an inch deep with a separating tear of 4 inches. Used the mirror to double flap the wound.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you look at the first photo I was hit by the other car way up by the last car & then ended up sliding to a stop into trash cans in front of the white car in the second photo & you can see the scrape marks in the road.

Everything happens for a reason - if I had full gear on I would have missed my client's package until the am (you privately know who I am discussing), plus I wouldnt have slid anywhere except under the first car & then the second & as you know I already know what it's like to be run over again & again.

It puts a Damper on your American Idol Plans.

In fact Jimz failed to read any of my primary posts that discuss all kinds of precautions I was taking this Life #206 around.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I think I'm a bit sheltered up here in the PNW. Small town living. The worst I have to deal with is ppl not paying attention while driving. So I'll usually ride the back roads where cars are few. Just have to watch for deer.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deer are Smarter than most of the Two Legged but they tend to.wait until the last moment & dart right out in front of you.

Over the years 1. I wiped out badly on my Honda CT100 when one of my dogs suddenly appeared in front of me as I was going to get the cows in NZ 2. Hit several cattle when living in Cabo Mexico for 5 years as it's open range & to improve digestion they sit on the crown of the warm blacktop road at night in Sept & October as that is where the grass grows after the Summer rains 3. Had a Billy Goat jump off a bank in the blind fog on a bush road in NZ into & through the front window of an older model Toyota Landcruiser - died kicking the hell out of us - smelt like Billy Goat ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts