Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Yoshimura R77 Titanium/Carbon Fibre Slip-ons. They're still on their way form over seas and my quiery is.. Do i need to remap the ECU for them? Now I'm in the belief that the stock ECU can't be remapped so my option is to get a PC-V.. Which I am thinking of getting anyway and a K&N filter.. But before I get these goodies can I slip on my slip-ons to the factory setup and ride her around happily and more to the point safely.. until i get the PC & air filter.. and is there any point in getting a Dynojet Auto-Tuner for my PC-V once its mapped on a dyno?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
it should be fine without a pc5 with just the slip ons. but to get more power would definately go with a power commander

·
Registered
33 Posts
From what ive read w/ the PC-V you wont be gaining to much in horespower, but the throttle response will greatly increase. Slip-ons are not going affect the fuel/air ratio enough without the PC-V installed. But i wouldnt suggest installing the Air filter and the slip-ons without a re-map because you might be running it too lean. You will get a huge improvement with the PC-V and slip-ons, but if you are contemplating the Auto-tuner you might as well purchase a full exhaust systems as that is were you will get some serious gains in power. Post a pic and a sound clip when you get them installed!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just to let know, with the slip ons you WILL get some decel popping. Its there with the factory exhaust just not as pronounced. I am running my Muzzys right now without a Power Commander and its fine. But next summer I will be doing the airbox mod, K&N filter, and power commander to compensate. But with just the slip ons you will be fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K cool thanx everyone. Very helpful indeed. Been speaking with my friendly neighboorhood tuning man and we agreed on taking her down to him stock, and doing a before & after dyno with the K&N, R77's & PC-V. Which will take place in a months time or so. I'll definitely post pics & audio when she's finished. In the meantime sourcing a radiator gaurd then that's it. My build will be finished and the bank account can have some time to recuperate.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Cyber, only some of what was replied is completely true about slip-ons and the ECU.

It is true that most fuel injection systems will make adjustments to the air/fuel ratio when you free up the system with slip-ons and a K&N. It will make adjustments "in addition to" the base map. If your base map is "off", the adjustments the ECU makes will also be off even after the adjustment since it was never completely right in the first place.

Here's the other part of the story... The ECU only makes these ajustments in the "closed-loop" part of the map.

Let me define a few things first:

1. The whole F.I. table is nothing but a spreadsheet of values inside the ECU where air/fuel ratios (and ignition timing) are determined by rpms and load (manifold pressure).

2. In a F.I. system there is only one map. But that one map has two areas... "open loop" and "closed loop" spreadsheet cells.

"Open loop" means the air/fuel ratio is read from a part of the F.I. table that can not be changed. This is the emmisions testing area (and usually the part of the map you wish you could alter...right in the middle where you typically ride). This area is dictated by a combination of rpm range and load and the "actual" emmissions reading on a SAE "J" weighted dynomometer scale. This area's mixture is locked so the motorcycle can pass emmissions testing. The O2 sensor is ignored completely and only the values in that part of the table are read in order to satisfy the EPA.

The "closed loop" area is where the O2 sensor is used (and sometimes a MAP sensor). Typically this area is at idle (so it can adjust during warm-up/fast idle), at all high loads across the rpm range and at high rpms no matter what the load is. The sensors send a signal back to the ECU and the "percentage based" adjustments to the mixture are made. The percentage varies by load. Only this "closed loop" area is autmatically adjusted. Unfortunately, nobody rides around all day at idle, nor do most of us ride all day at 11,000 rpms when that is our redline. We also don't ride all day at 100% load. If we do, we're probably riding head on into a gale force wind. So, expecting the ECU to adjust for your slip on and K&N isn't what you really thought it was.

You still need the PC and a map for your mods to correct the base map, which is lean and has timing that is less than desirable as well. The PC will not change your "open loop" area to a "closed loop" area. The PC can only add a certain amount more fuel to this area. Still, the whole table can be altered for both loops. The closed loop will be made better and can adjust as you expect. But your open loop is also better even though it will not self adjust. Tuned properly, you can also get rid of the popping on decel.

I'm also a fan of the accelerator pump feature. Great for getting rid of the bog.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Doc. :) M8 thankyou for the indepth reply. I understand the ECU much better now and what the PC offers. I'll still take it down stock and do the before & after dyno run.
Tell me more of this Accelerator Pump feature? Is that part of the PC or something else?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts