Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Gang,
Im new to this forum, so please bear with me. I have a 1979 KZ1000 MkII edition and recently put it back on the road. I have a brand new battery in it and it is discharging. I have done a little research and tested with a meter, and feel it is a faulty Voltage Regulator! If anyone has a different suggestion, please help! I hate to spend money on a new regulator for nothing.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I personally restored one of those bikes! Awesome bike. Basically an older version of these z1000's I had the KZ1000ST it used the MKIII motor that was a little more powerful. It was there supersport. Anyway on your problem what was the voltage regulator reading? And have you look on the kzrider.com web site? alot of very valuable info on them older KZ's
Good luck hope you get it fixed.
Do you have a pic or your project?
Here's a pic of my old KZ

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey, Hope this Helps.
Check the voltage across the battery poles if you have a a volt and or amp meter.
Readings at idle will and should be low as in 11<12 volt but if you rev the motor you should see anywhere from 13 to 14 volts above 2500rpm.
if not your stator is dying or or dead if you see no increase of voltage at all.
Hope this helps .....Ride Safe Barry

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Then its time to check for dead shorts.
Which is time consuming but if you do it your self you'll save a bunch of cash.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Dead Battery

HI Gang,
Im new to this forum, so please bear with me. I have a 1979 KZ1000 MkII edition and recently put it back on the road. I have a brand new battery in it and it is discharging. I have done a little research and tested with a meter, and feel it is a faulty Voltage Regulator! If anyone has a different suggestion, please help! I hate to spend money on a new regulator for nothing.
I had the same problem with my 1992 zr750 check the amp from the battery should read 12.5 at idle and 14 or so when rpm gos up. if it shows good check the wires that go to the stator and the regulator rectifier to see if the wires are melted.or smell burnt. if not you can check the stator the same way by using a test light hold it on each prong coming out of the stator if it lights up on all three your good there its time to replace the regulator rectifier. :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts