Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hav an 03 z1000 with the muzzy exhaust map 004. the muffler tip is black around the inside but it pops during deceleration. does that mean its too lean? havnt checked the plugs yet.:confused:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
It just means you have a 4-1 pipe.....

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
appreciate it. i really enjoy everybodies help & feedback on here. guess my next project will be barend mirrors & disabling my secondaries.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Do a search for removing or disabling the secondaries; I just had a thread on this recently.....

Popping through a 4-1 pipe is a common occurance; my '77 KZ1000 does it as well.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i printed it off. looks pretty simple. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
If you close off the cool air injection plates on top of the heads most all of the popping will go away. un hook the hose going in the air box and plug it off with something. then give it a test ride and see if that helps. You must also plug the hole in the air box with something.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Yes, you can get almost all of the popping out of it, but you will never make it completely go away...... so I was told by an old bike mechanic.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
04 ZED 4-1 full muzzy no pop ,no PC?
:dontknow: not sayin it couldn't happen just repeating what I had been told. Just out of curiosity, how hard are you decelerating? I get a slight pop if I am really aggressively downshifting with my hacked stock exhaust..... (only had it happen once or twice during my ownership of the bike)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i am pleased that my MUZZY simi loud pipe is not poping on decell. i down shift a lot but not from high RPM much. i am not saying it never pops, but no sustained loud pop down shifting. on most down shifting i here nothing but a nice exhaust sound.
i am chicken to install a PC because my millage, performance and no pop on decell are just fine without it. no need to stir up a problem i do not have. i still would like to get a dyno pull and a A/F ratio test though.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have made mine pop once or twice quite audibly when downshifting from high rpms.... normally mine does not pop either. I wouldn't mess with it either notabiker, just curious, not trying to stir up trouble.......:eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just crusing at speed limit & letting off throttle it does it. maybe not as extreme as pops but definate cackling

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have only ever had slip ons on my z1k, but my kz1ooo has the same isue you speak of and it has a vance and hines 4-1 megaphone

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
The pop you here from high RPM'S is when you let off the gas at lets say 6,500 to 10,000? the fuel shuts off all the way,then when the RPM'S hit around 4,000 -3,000 RPM'S the fuel comes back on that's when you here the pop. Ivan's has a fix for that.

·
Registered
555 Posts
i am pleased that my MUZZY simi loud pipe is not poping on decell. i down shift a lot but not from high RPM much. i am not saying it never pops, but no sustained loud pop down shifting. on most down shifting i here nothing but a nice exhaust sound.
i am chicken to install a PC because my millage, performance and no pop on decell are just fine without it. no need to stir up a problem i do not have. i still would like to get a dyno pull and a A/F ratio test though.
Hey notabiker,

This guy is local to us and has fair pricing on most services. It's been a while since I was out there but I thought he said a dyno run was $85 for an hour or something like that. Here is a link to his shop website: R Cal Racing, Huntington Beach, Ca.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just posted on another post...

I cleaned my air filter real good and had an emissions tube off on my head....I believe its the reed valve hose...1 incher or so....Never a pop again....

·
Registered
30 Posts
With my aggressive style of air cleaner I had a serious popping on decel. I read so many suggestions from people on plugging the smog plates on top the valve cover yet also had people say big no no so I've been up in the air. I did use a zip tie for a bit to see the difference and popping was gone. I will be running a dyno tune with a local yet well know guru soon and will ask his professional opinion. As of now I used a small k&n filter and an inline pcv valve as a compromise. If pressure builds up like some say problem solved. If it sucks air and feeds the popping poof stops that also. Seems fine for me now and we will see what billy says at rohm performance machine. He set a world record and built the motor on a death trap I rode daily in high school so ill gladly tell you what he thinks.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With my aggressive style of air cleaner I had a serious popping on decel. I read so many suggestions from people on plugging the smog plates on top the valve cover yet also had people say big no no so I've been up in the air. I did use a zip tie for a bit to see the difference and popping was gone. I will be running a dyno tune with a local yet well know guru soon and will ask his professional opinion. As of now I used a small k&n filter and an inline pcv valve as a compromise. If pressure builds up like some say problem solved. If it sucks air and feeds the popping poof stops that also. Seems fine for me now and we will see what billy says at rohm performance machine. He set a world record and built the motor on a death trap I rode daily in high school so ill gladly tell you what he thinks.
i blocked my cool air injection off over a 1000 miles ago with no problems. all the popping is gone.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts