Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow z1000 enthusiast.
I need some help, direction or information.
I own a 2018 Z1000R, I would like to do a decat and install a Y pipe keeping the stock cans for now. Will I need to tune The bike? If so any suggestions of a tuner? I’vetalked to Dynojet and they currently do not have a system for the 2018.
Any help with this would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Welcome & congratulations on the bike!

You are in the right place but I am the wrong person, answers will be here soon.

Unless you do what I did; installed a IXIL SX1 EXTREME FULL EXHAUST, no need for a tune or flash but you will need a $65 servo-buddy

If you are interested, talk to Chris, I put an IXIL Exhaust on all of my bikes, Day One.

Mention my name & the importance of breaking the tack weld, that now holds the Racing Killer DB Killer baffles in place.

It used to be that all IXIL exhausts you install them first & then decide whether or not you wanted to install the DB Baffle by screwing it in place.

Now because if the Euro Trash Compliance, you have to break the Weld

·
Registered
818 Posts
I would say get arrow headers and replace the whole front section... A quarter of the weight...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome & congratulations on the bike!

You are in the right place but I am the wrong person, answers will be here soon.

Unless you do what I did; installed a IXIL SX1 EXTREME FULL EXHAUST, no need for a tune or flash but you will need a $65 servo-buddy

If you are interested, talk to Chris, I put an IXIL Exhaust on all of my bikes, Day One.

Mention my name & the importance of breaking the tack weld, that now holds the Racing Killer DB Killer baffles in place.

It used to be that all IXIL exhausts you install them first & then decide whether or not you wanted to install the DB Baffle by screwing it in place.

Now because if the Euro Trash Compliance, you have to break the Weld
I would say get arrow headers and replace the whole front section... A quarter of the weight...

ive noticed that a lot of you talk a lot about Arrow exhaust. What makes it stand out more than other full exhaust kits out there. Is there still the need to have the bike tuned/flashed?

·
Registered
818 Posts
For me....

Cheapest headers out there I think.

Large bore... Lex moto ones for example are a smaller bore size.

Spare parts are easily available... I bought the centre section to switch to a single exit pipe... 3 days to get to the uk from Italy.... On balance try getting parts out of akra! Anything for that matter...

Weight.... Very light...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe you can get away without having a professional tune with an ECU flash. Not cheap but places like Ivan’s have a really good flash that gives you a lot of benefits.
I’ve got the Akrapovic headers with SP Engineering cans. Sounds awesome but a little on the loud side. I know that Delkevic recently came out with a full system that is half the price of Akra. They make a quality product and their pipes sound pretty good. I had a slip-on for my old SV 650 that made it sound like a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe you can get away without having a professional tune with an ECU flash. Not cheap but places like Ivan’s have a really good flash that gives you a lot of benefits.
I’ve got the Akrapovic headers with SP Engineering cans. Sounds awesome but a little on the loud side. I know that Delkevic recently came out with a full system that is half the price of Akra. They make a quality product and their pipes sound pretty good. I had a slip-on for my old SV 650 that made it sound like a beast.

After you installed your exhaust we’re you able to ride or did you need a flash?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed a PCFC...much cheaper than a full blown power commander. Unfortunately they didn’t have an exact map for my setup so just used one for a full Arrow system. It backfired on decel but I haven’t noticed any flat spot along the rev range. I wanted to do an ECU flash but didn’t get around to it this year. In hind sight, I wish I would’ve just done that over the PCFC

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Did the extra horsepower make a difference to you guys?

For $745 I am very happy with my IXIL SX1.

And I don't use all the horsepower this bike puts out, I am not that good a rider.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I installed a PCFC...much cheaper than a full blown power commander. Unfortunately they didn’t have an exact map for my setup so just used one for a full Arrow system. It backfired on decel but I haven’t noticed any flat spot along the rev range. I wanted to do an ECU flash but didn’t get around to it this year. In hind sight, I wish I would’ve just done that over the PCFC

The backfire on bikes, atleast on later model bikes and i know for sure on the Z is caused by the PAIR or AIS system. Pair/ais shoots air into the exhaust to ignite unburnt fuel, in order to meet emision regulations. The backfire it self, after putting on an aftermarkrt exhaustsystem, is harmless or at least not an indication your bike is running bad.

But getting a tune is recommended to make your bike run more efficient and make some more power

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

PC does not have a tuner for the 2018 nor do t gf ey know if they will have one soon. Spoke to them already. Dead end.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The backfire on bikes, atleast on later model bikes and i know for sure on the Z is caused by the PAIR or AIS system. Pair/ais shoots air into the exhaust to ignite unburnt fuel, in order to meet emision regulations. The backfire it self, after putting on an aftermarkrt exhaustsystem, is harmless or at least not an indication your bike is running bad.

But getting a tune is recommended to make your bike run more efficient and make some more power

Do you know other than dynojet power commander, who has a tuner for the late model Z? The wall I’m hitting is finding a tuner I can buy for a 2018 Z1000

·
Registered
818 Posts
Did the extra horsepower make a difference to you guys?

For $745 I am very happy with my IXIL SX1.

And I don't use all the horsepower this bike puts out, I am not that good a rider.
It's not the extra horsepower.... Although that is nice... Its the.... And the only word I can use here is ride/drive ability.... Everything becomes easier and more controlled...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thess days a decent to good tuner should also be able to flash your ecu and put a mapping on it. Then you will not need a component like a powercommander anymore.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I might want that point of difference in a Weapon System overseas or a Medical Device to help me here but on my Z, I am still reeling from the effects of buying a Schuberth C3 PRO instead of the C4 Touring helmet, even with the most tight internal sizing, my head levitates off my neck at anything over 70mph of hard acceleration, I grow 2 inches at speeds of 125 & above ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts