Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed custom led's tail light worked out great.Great product easy install.Did need there relay so that the front would flash properly.This tail light is very very bright.Mounted plate underneath with led bolts.Much more noticeable than stock and much cleaner looking! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custom LED.com 119.00 bucks+relay(20 bucks) which some bikes do not need according to custom led,my bike did.A little more than some of the other brands but well worth it.Its a quality part,super bright and has a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,I just mounted the plate underneath with LED bolts.Plate is easily seen from behind.I put a vid up on youtube check it out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I see it also fits the N1k too. Which would be good because I think you have to relocate the signals to mount the hard cases. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I have to, this could solve the problem.

All I would need is a license plate mount as well. Don't want to tuck it under the tail though.

I have a question on it's operation.

Lets say you are signaling to turn left and braking at the same time... does the other side show the red brake light while the amber light is blinking? The website gave me the impression that only the blinking side works and no brake light.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey X1 check out my vid on you tube I think it will answer your question.Just type in "z1000 custom led" its the 4th vid down.When signaling the other side will light up when you brake.Also the plate underneath worked well and is very visible to law enforcement,in fact had a cop follow me for a mile or so with no probs.

·
Registered
440 Posts
'ppreciate it. Will check out the vid tonight.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The OEM relay is underneath the rear seat if custom led's relay is needed.Easy way to locate it is to turn signal on with bike off you will hear oem relay clicking.To install new relay you will simply cut connector off of cutom led's relay and install male spades which will plug into oem connector.This way you are NOT cutting any wiring on your bike.:)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not having any luck.:(

Got the light in today and set to work installing it. Got it all plugged in fine. Blinkers blinked fast as I figured. So I look around and listen. No clicking from a relay anywhere. Then I look back and nothing is working at all. No tail light, signals not working. The fuse had burnt. Replaced it, tail light is on, brake light worked for a sec, then it burnt out again.

Enough of that. There may not be a traditional turn signal relay on the '11 models. It may be a logic circuit that routes power like every automobile on the market these days.

Whatever it is, the Custom LED tail light assembly is not liked at all by the '11 Ninja 1000.

I'll give the folks there a call tomorrow and see if I can talk to tech support or an engineer.

I was pretty excited about getting this in the mail. Now I'm of little hope.

It's beyond me why the OEMs are not supplying LED signals as standard these days. LEDs are not just for brake lights anymore. Come on OEMs, incandescents are so 20th century.:screwy:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very strange mine has worked perfectly besides needing a different relay.When I removed the oem relay it DID say led relay on it however it still did not have proper blink rate.Custom leds customer service is EXCELLENT and there products are VERY high quality,trust me I have bought some of the ebay brands.I am sure they will get it figured out for you as they did with me.As far as your fuse popping it sounds like one of two thing something in the circuit drawing to much power or there is a short.Check and make sure no wires were pinched in the install process.Let me know what you figure out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first pic is a pic underneath rear seat.I am pointing to were the relay is located this is after I have installed custom leds relay.The second is a pic of oem relay,as you can see it says led on it.Hope this helps with locating and installin new relay.Also look at the pic of the oem relay,note the two male spades on it this is the part were you need to install two male spades on to the new relay so that it will plug into oem female end.Hope this helps.AS far as your fuse issue more than likely a short,check wiring for a pinched wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for the pics. It appears that 1 year has made a significant difference between our models and I doubt the '11 Z is different from the '11 Ninja 1k also. Aside from our subframes looking different, I definitely do not have a relay like you do. This is absolutely a logic circuit setup. I see no clues to it being otherwise.

As for the pinched wires. I'm good there. I'm sure the LED tail/brake light wasn't the issue. It had to have been the turn signal portion of it that did the fuse in.

I sent an e-mail to CustomLED last night for help. I'm hoping to get a call or an e-mail today.

I'm actually highly irritated about the combination of Kawasaki not being able to supply luggage mounts when the cases have been available for 8 months, Givi's overbuilt and underengineered mounts as their substitute and needing to relocate signals because of the cases, also discovering that the signal wires are too short to connect when the relocation is done. Rerouting the wires wasn't possible because of how the harness was built.

The CustomLED was my solution to the OEM signal problem. So, I really do hope I can get this resolved. Plus, the clear tail light lens looks real good and matches my clear front signals.

Here's hoping...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me know when you get it figured out.You should call them thats what I did and got it resolved quickly:).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nice light. FYI, here in California the CHP are pulling bikes over for no rear deflectors. The law says that at least 2 RED reflecting lenses must be on the rear of a bike since 1965. Lit red lights don't cut it unless they are reflecting when shut off. The cheap little round ones that sell for a few dollars and mount on your license plates are fine. They have pulled over and ticketed 8 people that I know of and 3 were riding on the freeway with a permit so they impounded their bikes. Unfortunately it seems that they like to hassle groups of any type bikes attacking you with 2,3 or 4 cars! Seems they don't even look at you when you're alone.
Just be aware of the laws in your area when modding, changing lights, reflectors and removing tails, etc.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks underdog for the heads up but here in nebraska the sheriffs department could care less lol.Plus my mechanical engineering company does all there work at the jail so I know them all LOL.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
X1 got his problem resolved,was a short in wire from install.Just wanted to update,custom led is good stuff.AND X1 ever consider mouting plate like this.
Just got some led bolts and mounted it right up.Wired them in to oem plate light wiring,it is very visible is and not covered by the hugger.Actually have had cops behind me never been a problem plus it cleans things up alot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
i just bought one of these from custom led the other day for mine.. should be here tomorrow, cant wait! i also got the relay just incase i needed it. will post pics when done :)

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
X1 got his problem resolved,was a short in wire from install.Just wanted to update,custom led is good stuff.AND X1 ever consider mouting plate like this.
Just got some led bolts and mounted it right up.Wired them in to oem plate light wiring,it is very visible is and not covered by the hugger.Actually have had cops behind me never been a problem plus it cleans things up alot.

yeah im going to mount my tag the same way.. i mite put some type of shim under it to kick it out slightly more so its a little more noticeable from behind just so im not asking for trouble from the local cops. im loving this taillight tho, bright as hell! the quick strobe action you get when first applying the brake is nice too :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts