Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I don't own a z1000. I currently ride a 2015 Versys 1000. It is a great bike. Very practical with a great engine. I really like the mid range and its revy character. I'm thinking about getting a second bike though. Something a little more hooligan to compliment the stiff upper lip of the Versys.

So give me some arguments/opinions in favor of the z over its principle rivals. I'm looking at bikes as low in displacement and weight as the fz 07, but the fz 09 and the Speed Triple are the most likely counter choices I would make. I would also consider the new Suzuki GSX naked, but I feel like it is a little too top endy for my taste. I really like the mid range character of the Versys/z engine. I'm not interested in Honda's offerings. Finally, while I certainly appreciate the engineering of bikes like the Tuono, the s1000r, the Monster, the Duke, etc, I don't see a reason to pay that kind of money for a second bike.

I already know that I love the engine of the z, despite the version in the Versys having a different tuning. That itself may not be a good thing though, as I feel like my second bike should have a different character than the bike I already own. Which is to say, I'm really drawn to the idea of a triple.

Just lookin' for opinions at this point, I haven't done any test riding. I live in Colorado and would likely only use the bike on the weekends. The Versys is a great 8-10 hour day kind of bike. The second bike would be used on those days when I only have 2-3 hours to get out into the mountains.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Sounds like price and fun/hooligan'ness play a big part in your decision for the 2nd bike. Are you looking at new or used? Perfect time to find a good used 3rd gen. maybe with mods done already too. Or a discounted new left over.

I like the Triple, but am not convinced about the buglights up front. Plus I owned a 1050 Sprint and it was milk compared to the Zed. Couldn't wait to sell it so I could buy the Z.

I personally luv the short wheelbase fun the Zed provides ...gearing, ergo's, looks, everything. And it's just fine for longer rides too -after you replace the seat with a Sargent or similar.
So yeah, the Zed is perfect for canyon runs or to meet up with friends for shorter rides. oh, and replace the 190 rear for a 200 for more bad-azzery!! Obviously, you know which one I'd get/got! btw, I've noticed the 3rd gens feel beefier when sitting on them as compared to the 4th gens. imho :) (wider sub frame)

Ride them all and keep us posted! :D

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
yeah what is bike's character if you dont like riding them in the long run.. the bike that makes you come back and see more than 2x is the answer.. and by sitting and test ride too..
i have owned 3rd gen and 4th gen currently i love them both, i love the ergos of the 4th better however.. coz am short lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Kobi, what exhaust type or brand id the one in the pic of your bike mate? Got a 15 Zed a few weeks ago and i'm considering changing the stock cans so i'm looking into something different and nice and yours look good and superclean with that one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the difference between the Versys and the Z. I have a 2015 Ninja and a 2016 Z which are far more similar than what you are looking at and I still feel there is enough of a difference to enjoy both very much :)

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Buy it! Don't second guess it.

I've done everything from hit jumps on it (only about a foot of air) to wheelies, to 140+mph highway runs, to cruising all day long.

I've gone on a 2 day ride that covered only about 500 miles, and I've also ridden in town for 13 hours in one day. Get a sargent seat, new suspension and ivans performance package and you're set.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the difference between the Versys and the Z. I have a 2015 Ninja and a 2016 Z which are far more similar than what you are looking at and I still feel there is enough of a difference to enjoy both very much :)
woah!! you are missing a dirtbike on your line-up

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
Reactions: cooldudesmd

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just to wade in on this....ive tried a BMW s1000r - had one on test for a morning back in April last year...I had one all lined up to buy, money wasn't an issue (as the bmw I was going to buy was 1200 more than the Z) - but I didn't like it - for me - the stuff I didn't like...

1. Vibrating bars and at some revs - footpegs.
2. Too much electronics, kind of cushioning me from what my arse was telling me...unnerving...
3. Heated grips didn't get anywhere near hot enough.
4. Looks...I was 50 50 on the looks, took it home, parked it up, knocked on the front door - got my 12 year old son and said "whaddaya think of that..." to which he replied "its a bit rubbish dad..." - about turn and went in the house - that, was the nail in the coffin for me...

Got my zed for 7800 and I reckon ive spent about 2k on it but - from my dyno readings it puts out pretty well the same as an s1000r - plus if I wanted to get a beemer to the same "finish" with regards to parts and upgrades id be in the 12k mark I reckon....but you cant polish a turd (the zed looks better hands down no matter what you do to the Beemer!)

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
92k1500

WR450f ???
I spy a little sticker...:D

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts