Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to ask how much to expect to pay for the 1000mi service on a 2010 Z1000. I've got to go back to the dealer for it some time this week and I want to make sure they aren't going to screw me.

Speaking of screws, I came back in from 150mi on some back roads when a few miles from the house I hear the awful sound of a metal pop on concrete. As I expected when I got in the garage there was a 2" screw in my tire, but it was damn near tangent to the curve of the wheel. It did puncture some rubber, but I threw some soapy water on and didn't see any bubbles, so Im pretty sure it didn't puncture all the way. It came out rather easily but there is a 1/8" hole going sideways into the tire. If it didn't puncture and I have no air leaking, is the tire trashed? I'm not very pleased with the thought of replacing the tire but I do ride rather hard on them. Is there something I can do to reinforce the spot? If its trashed, whats the best tire and size for the replacement? I've heard that new tires is one of the best handling upgrades you can do for the 2010's, but I dont know what size to go to.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Heck, I'd just ride what you have and keep an eye on it. If it didn't get into the cords it should be good as gold. Superglue!

·
Registered
752 Posts
The 1000 Mile service for me was $350.

Im due for the 7500 mile service this time - $750 is what they quoted me! YIKES!!!

I wouldnt worry about the tire - as long as its not leaking air you should be fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good deal. They quoted me $250 a week ago, so I suppose thats on target. Im relieved the tire will be good. Curious, what is the size of tire that is better for the 2010? Why?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I did it my self too. The owners manual tells you what to check. It was very easy, no special tools needed and check your torques. I don't think the dealerships does anything more or better. if you don't have a torque wrench you can rent one from autozone. you pay them $50 and they give them back to you when you return it. Get a KnN oil filter so its easy to replace next time.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would do the inspection myself, and replace the tire, or patch the inside of the existing one and have it rebalanced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the 600 mile service done on my 2010 Z1000. That's what it called for. Besides lubing up the chain and adjusting the tension on it, I don't see what else the bike would need, so I definitely am not bringing it in for a 1000 mile service.

I suspect my 600 mile service is the equivalent to what you guys do for a 1000 mile service. My 600 mile service had cost me ~$200 .. but I have a 5 year warranty, so I got it done for free. :D

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
No kidding. I push mow my own yard, service my own vehicles, and wash them all myself as well. I don't know what is wrong with america today.... Did we get lazy enough we can't learn to do these simple things? Do we work so much that we don't have time; and if thats the case, doesn't it defeat the purpose of working longer hours for more money if we are just handing the extra money over to someone else to do what we should have done ourselves in the first place? I know whenever I get done with one of these tasks I have have a sense of pride, and accomplishment. I don't see how one could think someone else would care for their vehicle like it was there own.... especially if the are paid better not by the quality of the work, but how many of these tasks are done in a day. /rant

k, I am done, lol!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have typically done all my own services on my zx9 but since a friend visiting decided to nosedive it into the concrete i dont have the time or the room in the garage, heh. All services after this one I plan on doing myself.

I have the warranty as well, does that really mean services are free?

Off-topic....I see people talking about using the zx9r header on z1000 but earlier years. would there be any reason to use that over the stock header for the 2010s?

·
Registered
248 Posts
No kidding. I push mow my own yard, service my own vehicles, and wash them all myself as well. I don't know what is wrong with america today.... Did we get lazy enough we can't learn to do these simple things? Do we work so much that we don't have time; and if thats the case, doesn't it defeat the purpose of working longer hours for more money if we are just handing the extra money over to someone else to do what we should have done ourselves in the first place? I know whenever I get done with one of these tasks I have have a sense of pride, and accomplishment. I don't see how one could think someone else would care for their vehicle like it was there own.... especially if the are paid better not by the quality of the work, but how many of these tasks are done in a day. /rant

k, I am done, lol!
Hey KawToy, I agree with your post 100%. I too have a 5 year warranty, but I feel I am more capable of doing my own services than a man who doesn't own the bike he is working on. I also keep impecable records of my maintenance. I take pride in my work. I also mow my own lawn, maintain a small fleet of my extended family's vehicles. It's not about the money, well, okay it is about that too, but I enjoy doing my own stuff. It actually relaxes me. I take pride.:+1:

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
i agree with clint & pete on this as well.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Not too many people care about pride in their work anymore. I enjoy the fact that I know whatever was done to my bike/car/truck was done correctly, and I don't have to worry about it. Good for you Pete, I am with ya on this one!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
i dropped my bike off at my friends shop saturday to get my valve cover gasket replaced, valves checked, clutch & coolant replaced. also going to machine down my extra flywheel & install it. normally i would do this work myself but with the hours im working, really dont have the time. plus i have known my buddy for 25 years & he takes pride in his work & will treat my bike like its his so im not worried about him doing a good job, i know he will. cant wait to get it back & ride it. my first gear thermal one piece rain suit should be here today so hopefully i will be able to ride it now till spring with that suit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts