Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

Considering a 2003 to purchase

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dodogenocide 
#1 ·
Hi gang,

Alex here from Los Angeles. I am looking for a new bike for my daily freeway drive (30 miles round trip) to work and I have always liked Z1s but have never had the opportunity to buy one. How are Z1s suited for commuting?

There's a 2003 (I really like this model year) on Ebay right now about 400 miles north from me.

What do I need to know about these early models before buying one? I did a Google search to see if there had been any recalls or service advisories and the only thing I found was about possible steering bearing problems?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Alex

#2 ·
Hi Alex, Welcome o the forum!

I don't know much about the 2003 bikes, but I've been commuting on my 2012 for 5 years now. Depending on the speed, you may want to add a taller windscreen, but the ergonomics are comfortable for commuting and the upright position gives you good sight lines over cars.

The bikes are rather reliable. Mine and @BriansZ1000 are both over 40k miles (his is 60k) with no noticeable issues.

#3 ·
Yep. About 95% of the miles on my bike is from commuting reaching speeds from 0mph to 80mph. Wind screen may help, but I just got used to it. Never left me stranded and has never had an issue other than a fork seal leak a few thousand miles ago. No idea about the 1st gen bikes as mine is a 2010.

#5 ·
I couldn't find much through Google on problems with the 1st gens.

That's because there aren't many problems. There are a few users here whose gen1 bikes die randomly, but that seems to be a pretty small set.

Is it perhaps not a good idea to buy a 1st gen if I am looking for a reliable daily commuter?

I think it would make a great, reliable commuter.

#6 ·
I had mine for 3 years now. got it with about 8000 miles and now its around 13000. I used to ride it mostly on weekends and to work every now and then, but this year I take it on the daily round trip of about 50 miles. I really love this bike, and it really serves good as a commuter, I fill up about every 3 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.