Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently replaced all of the clutch plates on my 2016 Kawasaki Z1000 which has a slipper clutch. After installing all 17 plates (Clutch & Steel) on the bike it has been an issue with adjusting the clutch cable, mind you this is a new cable . No matter how many combinations I have tried with adjusting the cable, the clutch cable will grab as soon as i put it in the gear with the lever squeezed in all the way and will surge foward. I was wondering if i put too many plates in the bike and that seems to be the issue

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Inviitro just did this but it was his clutch cable adjustment that was the issue.

Do you have the old cable?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Read jordans post. 17 plates seems normal. All i can think of is that your stack height is too big.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You bought your plates from Kawasaki, didnt you? Aftermarket plates rarely match up when you measure stack height.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You bought your plates from Kawasaki, didnt you? Aftermarket plates rarely match up when you measure stack height.
My steel plates are from kawasaki. Friction plates are aftermarket

·
Registered
198 Posts
I dont have my haynes manual around. Its over at a friends place. Think you shaould call your kawa dealer and ask them what the stackheight should be and the tolorance. If your are way out side, replace some steeelplates with thinner ones , you can also order them from kawasaki.

As u can see frim the partslist 2.6 thickness is "use aS required" not all your plates should 2.6. .

So i can pretty much say with confidence your stackheight is too big. You should have started with the plates that quotes the amount of 6. From there on you measure , and replace steelplates with "use as required" untill you are within tolorance height

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont have my haynes manual around. Its over at a friends place. Think you shaould call your kawa dealer and ask them what the stackheight should be and the tolorance. If your are way out side, replace some steeelplates with thinner ones , you can also order them from kawasaki.

As u can see frim the partslist 2.6 thickness is "use aS required" not all your plates should 2.6. .

So i can pretty much say with confidence your stackheight is too big. You should have started with the plates that quotes the amount of 6. From there on you measure , and replace steelplates with "use as required" untill you are within tolorance height

Is this quoted for the slipper clutch for the 2016 or the standard clutch, in my clutch I only need 1 (13089C) steel plate that is in the front right after the first friction plate that sits on the groves of the pressure plate (13187)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, this is for 2016 slipperclutch. Just under a month ago i converted my 2015 standard clutch, to the 2016 slipperclutch.

·
Registered
198 Posts
On my diagram 13089C(marked red) is located in the middle and quotes 6 plates. The one you are referring to (on the grooves of the pressure plate) is just 13089( marked green), you will only need 1 of those.

This is you basic starting point, from here you start measuring and swap out 13089C plates, for either 13089B or 13089D until you are within the tolerance stackheight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On my diagram 13089C(marked red) is located in the middle and quotes 6 plates. The one you are referring to (on the grooves of the pressure plate) is just 13089( marked green), you will only need 1 of those.

This is you basic starting point, from here you start measuring and swap out 13089C plates, for either 13089B or 13089D until you are within the tolerance stackheight.
okay ordered those plates and will try again, will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
819 Posts
see if i can find out....i think my manual is for the old clutch - invitro might be able to help as hes done exactly that...and had stack height issues....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts