Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stuck on clearing the FI code on my 2011 Z1000. The problem has been resolved, but I can't find any information on how to clear the darn code so I could start a bike.

I found some intructions on this and other forums, but thet're all talking about "the orange cable under the driver's seat" to enter dealer mode 2.

I'm either blind, color blind, or I'm in a parallel universe - what orange cable?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is only one code - 21, which stands for Crankshaft Sensor Malfunction, wiring open or short.

I basically disconnected the battery while running the engine (long story as to why), and the engine stopped. Since I reconnected the battery, I'm stuck with code 21 and the engine won't turn.

The code makes sense since the wiring was indeed open while the battery was disconnected. But now that the battery is connected, I can't clear out the code nor start the bike.

And before anyone asks, yes - I tried removing the battery, putting it on a tender for 2 days before I tried connecting it again. No cigar :(

Gadget Automotive exterior Font Gas Display device

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Its possible that you damaged the sensor, but it might be worth trying to rotate the engine.

I know that's easier said than done, but what if the bike thinks the crankshaft should be in "x" position, but it's really in "y" position? It wouldnt know since no battery meant it didnt register in the ecu?

With the engine not rotating , I dont believe you can shift any higher than second gear? Maybe have someone push you, drop the clutch, and see of that might turn the engine over enough for the ecu to read the position?

I'm not sure how else you coukd do this without taking off the stator side cover.

·
Registered
16 Posts
+1 to what rcannon said. Time to get the multi meter out. Also trying to turn the motor could work, it might even push start after a try or too.

if you don’t have a strong friend or a nice little hill around you can put it on a stand, loosen the chain and slip it off. Then put it in gear and put a wrench on the sprocket nut and turn it over. More of a pain but you can try different positions that way with the sensor out then reinsert and turn the key. All else fails might have to replace the sensor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts