Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
But the '10 has a different frame!!
Havent tried mine as I only have 6000km on it & she runs fine'
One tip if you're having trouble removing or replacing plugs is to use a piece of 3/8 (10mm) fuel hose pushed over the plug. (after you have loosened it a bit first)
It flexes enough to get around just about anything & when installing, you can't cross thread the plug as the hose will slip before any damage is done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it isnt fun but isn't bad either. just use a 3 inch extension with socket short and a swivel on the middle 2 u have to feed the one coil pack through a little spot between the frame and main harness just get a screw driver and work u a circle out. outside 2 are pie just remove the gas tank mounts and use a 6 inch extension and ur done. just use common sense and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
had to take it somewhere for the third plug coil pack wouldnt come out with out loosening the motor mounts.

it isnt fun but isn't bad either. just use a 3 inch extension with socket short and a swivel on the middle 2 u have to feed the one coil pack through a little spot between the frame and main harness just get a screw driver and work u a circle out. outside 2 are pie just remove the gas tank mounts and use a 6 inch extension and ur done. just use common sense and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
i went to change my spark plugs the other day propped the tank up and got to the two outside ones and the second one from the left just fine but i couldn't get the coil pack out of the one third from the left because it would hit the frame. it seems like the only way to get it out is to move the motor and im not doing that lol.
so does anyone have tips on how to change it??
My tip is... Don't give up, it is a royal pain in the *****, But I did it. I did it with the tools in the tool kit that came with the bike. Took an hour and a half.... but I got it done. You also do not have to remove that coil pack. Happy wrenching!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Piece o Cake

Pop the #3 coil off...Lift sraight up...Rotate the connector end around so it clears the frame crossover plate...That will give you the rest you need....The coil still appears to be stuck in there...But pull and kick the bottom out...Probably a 1/4" still holding you from kicking the bottom out towards the rear tire...It will come...almost thewholelast inch isa flex rubber boot...

I used a 3" extension and deep 17mm plug socket....Once out I used a 1" extension on the 3"...Pulled it out and removed the 1"...Then removed the 3 inch.....Then your done...

If I had to do again....Tank seat plugs out and back in 1 hour....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Holy thread revival batman!! Real quick guys rather then start a new thread, can someone tell me what the plugs are supposed to be gapped at?
Thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nevermind guys found it. It is .030. So there everyone goes. Thanks anyhow everyone who even attempted to look it up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So I just did it. 45 mins in total and all I removed from the radiator fill was the bolt that holds it in place. And the job was easy mainly due to the previous owner leaving the tool bag in the trunk.
This baby is a blessing...

I did totally remove the fuel tank...

It literally took about five minutes and worth it.

And she is all done and wow I am happy with how smooth and responsive the throttle is again. It had the original plugs in her. It has almost 14k on the dash.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The manual says I'm overdue for new spark plugs, I'm almost to 10k.

The bike runs and idles fine. Is this really necessary? The bike isn't even a year old yet.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i change mine every 8-10k miles. thats just me though... alot people call me crazy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to find new spark plug caps for my 2008 z1000, but having no luck. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to turn?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I love how we are conditioned to KNOW the stock tool kit is a worthless steaming pile of dog ****....however, if you dont have the spark plug socket, from the kit, you are seriously screwed.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts