Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to change my spark plugs the other day propped the tank up and got to the two outside ones and the second one from the left just fine but i couldn't get the coil pack out of the one third from the left because it would hit the frame. it seems like the only way to get it out is to move the motor and im not doing that lol.
so does anyone have tips on how to change it??

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
how bad did the 3 plugs you changed look, how many miles. unless you have a fueling problem the stock spark plugs will go a very long time. unleaded fuel and fuel injection have just about made spark plug changing unnecessary. my 04 has the original plugs with 14,000 miles on them. if they are platinum from the factory you should be fine for at least 30,000 miles. even very high performance cars 500 HP Shelby etc have 100,000 mile spark plugs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has 1834 miles. they were black, horrible and wouldnt idle it runs great with 3 new ones though but i dont want to leave the bad one in there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, I changed my outside two and got lost changing the two inside ones. Actually got my ratchet extension and socket stuck inside because it was too tall to get out from under the frame. Gotta drop the engine now.:mad: I've got 28k on mine and gotta do the valve shims and head cover gasket anyways.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i used 2 short extensions and managed to get 2nd cyl plug, took a while but nothing i did worked for the third. very bad design flaw ahaha

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, it's stuck in cyl 2. I've got two extensions too and I got the plug turned out, but turning it out made the extension too tall to get out from under the frame rail. At least I'll only have to do it this one time along with the valves and not again for another three years or so.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I don't know if the 06 frame and 07 are the same but I changed all mine my self. I used the Kawasaki spark plug tool but you have to take lose the thermostat and move it out of the way first. Do you have a Kawasaki spark plug wrench it has a swivel at the end by the spark plug so when you get it lose,all you have to do is lift up and over to the out side of the motor #4plug. Go's back in same way. It sounds easier than it is,but it works;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I didn't have the manual for mine till it was too late. You know, the one that tells you that you MUST use that thing in the tool kit or your socket will get stuck. Stupid design, stupid me.

Thought to myself, "its just a stupid spark plug, how tough can it be?":rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
shame on kawasaki for not making spark plug changing a normal job. they also made the air filter removal very hard on my 04 Zed. it has a very stiff main wiring harness going right over the top of the lid to the air filter. i am worried i will break something electrical trying to move that harness out of the way to check my air filter. my first try i just gave up and said screw it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ill check to see if i have one tomorrow doesnt look familiar though. and it willl be very much appreciated thank you

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, getting that third plug out is like near impossible due to the coil pack not being able to be pulled all the way out. I checked mine a little while ago, and they looked excellent so I put them back in.

they also made the air filter removal very hard on my 04 Zed. it has a very stiff main wiring harness going right over the top of the lid to the air filter.
Trick is to turn it to turn it to the side a bit and wiggle it out. You can also loosen the factory ties around the harness which will allow for just a little room to move the harness while removing the airbox lid or filter.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah, getting that third plug out is like near impossible due to the coil pack not being able to be pulled all the way out. I checked mine a little while ago, and they looked excellent so I put them back in.

Trick is to turn it to turn it to the side a bit and wiggle it out. You can also loosen the factory ties around the harness which will allow for just a little room to move the harness while removing the airbox lid or filter.
thanks for the tip :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts