Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know where to get the socket to remove the front sprocket on the 2010 z. want to go one up. even kawasaki dealer doesn't know. the service manual lists evry tool but that one. any help would be appreciated.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it's made like my 07....it has a stepped nut with 2 sizes....I think the socket size for mine is 27mm....can't say for sure because the socket is in my toolbox at work.....Make sure you buy a 6 point socket and not a 12...it will slip and damage the nut.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the picture in the manual looks like some sort of star. guess i'll have to pull the covers to look at it. thought maybe someone had already changed theirs. maybe this week now that it's staying lighter later may6be i'l feel like messing with it. thanks guys.:screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
finally took off the cover and the nut is the metric equivalent of 1 1/16". tried to get it off with a breaker bar and me holding the brake. he lifted me and the bike aways but nut wouldn't break loose. then he tried an impact wrench. that didn't work either. we have a stout one at our shop might try it one day. might just wait til the chain needs changing and change all of it. hate to change just the front sprocket with 8700 miles. pretty sure it will werar the chain faster. been getting over 40mpg when i ride with my uncle. :screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
803 Posts
The torque spec on the sprocket nut is only 92 ft/lb. A decent 1/2" drive impact wrench should easily break it loose.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
j, i looked it up after we tried to get it off. i thought it was odd that it wouldn't come loose. i'm thinking locktite or something. the pressure he was putting on it should have loosened it. anyway i'm just going to wait now with the miles i have put on i'n sure the chain and soprockets would wear prematurely if i change just the front sprocket. if i ride with my uncle i can get over 40mpg anyway. :screwy:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I wonder if the same guy put your sprocket on that installed my factory oil filter. :lol: That was a fight to get off.

Could be Loctite. Kawasaki seems to have fallen in love with the stuff.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I wonder if the same guy put your sprocket on that installed my factory oil filter. :lol: That was a fight to get off.

Could be Loctite. Kawasaki seems to have fallen in love with the stuff.
So far my strap wrench has not failed me. :D

·
Registered
803 Posts
So far my strap wrench has not failed me. :D
That MF was tight. I broke the strap on one of my cheapo Harbor Freight strap wrenches and it didn't budge. My giant channellocks wouldn't fit in the space inside the fairing and my smaller pair was too small. I finally got it off with a chain wrench. :mad:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Thats impressive for a filter. For the longest time i refused to buy oil filter wrenches, and once I bought the Z, got a strap wrench. So far I have never needed more than that.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've been getting Wix filters from my son at Bumper to Bumper and I have a 3/8" drive cap end wrench that fits those. Plus I lube the gasket before I put the filter on and don't overtighten it. I've never had any problem getting them off after I install them.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sharp, i have the plastic filter wrench. and i use wix filters and now lucas 20w50 full synthetic. last oil change was 50 bucks. i also put as much oil in the filter as i can. no burping problems for me. :screwy::screwy::screwy:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah, I was worried about the pump losing prime so I drained the oil then put the plug back in and filled the engine with 3 qts. THEN I removed the oil filter, filled the new one as best I could and installed it.

Started the bike and the oil pressure came right up. I let it run for a minute or so then shut it off and topped the oil off a few minutes later. Interestingly, my bike took exactly 4 quarts to the high line of the window. That's certainly convenient.

I ordered a 16T front sprocket just now. I'll let you know what I have to go through to get the old one off. We have BIG air wrenches if required...

·
Registered
803 Posts
I changed mine last weekend. A decent 1/2" drive air impact will spin the nut right off. My good Chicago Pneumatic wrench had no trouble. I tried first with an old Rockwell wrench I keep around for changing tires and it wouldn't budge.

The nut is 27mm and you'll need a good 6 point socket. The nut is not all that hard and is slightly undersize to make things even worse. If you somehow manage to mess up the nut there's a larger hex portion father down that's 32mm/1.25" you might be able to use.

If I had it to do over I'd order a new nut from Kawasaki and use it with the new sprocket. I'm not looking forward to trying to get it off again with the crappy nut already partially rounded.

Kawasaki screwed up on this deal IMO. They should have used a normal nut and a separate speed sensor reluctor.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts