Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my z has 25k miles on it & i decided it was time for some new spark plugs. i have been running some pretty rich maps until this last one i found so i figured it might not be a bad idea 2 change them especially with the miles on it. wasnt as bad as i expected but it still took an hour to do it. my old plugs were a nice brown color so it looks like the map i am currently running is doing good. :D

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some say you must lower the engine to do the center 2 plugs ? what is the real skinny ? . i have 17,000 on my 04. this winter i was going to do a cooling system flush and new spark plugs.
i loosend the radiator fill neck & shuffled the harnesses around. couple extentions & swivel. it was tight as crap but doable. cant be too bad if it only took an hour.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the inside left one wasnt that bad but the inside right side was a bear. pretty used to working in tight spaces being a honda tech at a dealership for 9 years & nissan 5 years b4 that

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I changed my plugs @ 7000, and If I remember right the book says to do it every 7k miles......... I have 31k on my Z, and the last spark plug change it got was at 7k

·
Registered
61 Posts
what plugs does the 03 use?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NGK CR9EK or ND U27ETR

·
Registered
61 Posts
anyone use the autolites?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm going to agree with htech71 on this. My experience with stock emissions controlled vehicles is that the plugs fitted from the factory work as well or better than anything else and are usually cheap.

The factory engineers spent hundreds if not thousands of hours on compliance issues. It's hard to better what they've done.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
how difficult is it to change spark plugs on 2008 z1000. 03-06 people seem to have hard time.
07-09 has basically the same frame as the 03-06. As long as you have the spark plug tool that came with your bike it's not that hard, just a tight fit.

·
Super Moderator
3,337 Posts
Here are the frames....

2003-2006

2007-2009

2010-2012

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I changed my spark plugs a few weeks back mainly because I had the tank off and airbox out to install the PCV, I only have 5000 miles or so on her but though what the hell, whilst its undressed!

I'm gonna do the oil and filter in the next couple of months even though its only 6 months old and done only a few hundred miles with it in, its an excuse to get underneath her and drain her dry!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
its not hard to change the plugs, but you need to loosen the water filler cap mount and move the wiring harness around a little. I used the plug spanner that came with the bike and an extension ad remove the leads to the plugs. I hope this helps

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts