Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody tried this on their parts? They brag it鈥檚 the best thing since the invention of cheese. 馃 just curious if anybody tried it yet. Do you need to bake it in the oven or does it air dry? Some of the finished product looks just absolutely amazing from the pictures. Don鈥檛 know if that鈥檚 actually true or a bunch of hype though. I鈥檝e done my own cadium plating before in the past but it鈥檚 a three-step process and it鈥檚 a pain including heating the water to 180掳 and wash/soak the parts. Rinsing drying. plating. More plating. then painting. if cerakote could Do the corrosion resistance and the painting, call it what you will, at the same time that doesn鈥檛 sound bad. A lot easier.

Registered
I am looking to have it done professionally on my new bike for bits that can't be covered in film (e.g. tank, fenders).

Registered
Yep... Use it all the time.... Loads of parts on my zed are cerakoted. My hypermotard has a cerakoted engine and 3 years later it still looks amazing. There's the engine from the hyper when it came back from being rebuilt - it still looks the same...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Registered
I am looking to have it done professionally on my new bike for bits that can't be covered in film (e.g. tank, fenders).
your thinking of ceramic coating, that's completely different. Cerakote is simpler (though less hard wearing) version of powder coating metal parts.

Registered
I'd argue that... I actually tried ceramic coating... Had the headers on my rsv4 done in blue... Lasted about 2 weeks before they were fucked... Those pipes don't look far different from then 2 years on... A little faded now...

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
What鈥檚 the prep work like before you get ready to do the cerakote. wash in acetone? do you need to bake in an oven to cure? excellent work on your parts, they look great. Do you think the cerakote is better than paint?

Registered
No prep work....unless youre able to sandblast your stuff first....the other thing is if you do sandblast youre stuff first then the coater will just coat that so if youve missed a bit then it just gets done....i just drop my stuff off as is...

Registered
I'd argue that... I actually tried ceramic coating... Had the headers on my rsv4 done in blue... Lasted about 2 weeks before they were fucked... Those pipes don't look far different from then 2 years on... A little faded now...

There is 2 completely different meanings to the word "ceramic coatings" and its kind of stupid that they couldn't pick a different name for it. What your talking about is the original meaning of ceramic coating, as in of metal part (usually headers) for heat retention purposes, kinda like a header wrap. What @Sanctuary was referring to was the more modern definition for ceramic coating which is a polymer "think wax" coating you apply onto paint finishes to protect the clear coat from minor scratches and for the water and dirt to bead off the paint easier during washing.

More info here:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts