Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, newish rider here, and new to the Z1000. Have a concern with bubbles in the oil and wanted to get some thoughts on it.

2003 Z1000, 39'000kms. Previous owner used Lucas oil with 20% stabilizer. I wanted to be fancy and used Motul 7100 for the change I did 3000km's ago. After seeing some bubbles at the top, I got scared thinking I overfilled, so I drained a tiny bit, had to re-add some, which then used up my leftover Motul.

The other morning the oil level was close to the minimum mark so, because I didn't have any leftover motul and all shops were closed on Sunday, I topped it up with some Lucas Motorcycle 10w-40, hence the slight yellowish colour. (Motul is usually totally Red).

No residue or anything on the cap, seems totally clean and just oil. No temperature issues.
To be fair, I never looked at the previous oil while the bike was running so I don't know if it was like this before. I've also never owned a street motorcycle so this is new to me.

The bike seems to run great, has tons of power. My friend riding behind my said it smelled like I'm burning a little oil, but nothing at all visual.

The bubbles go away after it sits. I'll also add that after the oil change I had the oil light and had to do the "loosen the oil filter to burp the system" trick.

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don’t think having a small amount is surface air bubbles in the oil is necessarily a bad thing. I think when the engine is running some amount of air will get mixed into the oil and you can see a little bit of froth. In the old days they used to put engine oil in the front forks. And a common problem would be with the stroking of the shocks the air in the oil and mix together and start to get what I call a little bit foamy. Nowadays fork oil is specific to the forks in it’s been designed to not do that. Typically I don’t mix different brands of oil together because if you get an oil that has a heavier density it will sit at the bottom of the reservoir and the lighter density oil stay on the top which could be what you’re seeing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the reply! Makes sense about the oil/air churning. I guess I've just never seen this sort of thing on a car or other vehicle since there's no window to look inside.

It WAS bubbling/frothing before I "mixed" oil brands. So even with pure Motul 7100 there was bubbles/froth. I try not to mix brands but I needed to ride and didn't want minimum oil.

bubbles only while engine is running.

I'm thinking I'm going to do a slightly early oil change here to avoid any difference in viscosity breakdown between the two, just switch to the Rotella T6 everyone seems to like.

Thanks again, I won't worry about it. Cheers!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey right on that sounds like a good plan. I just use the Kawasaki semi synthetic oil for now. I might switch to a full synthetic in the future but it’s so expensive and I don’t do a lot of hard riding with the bike so I’m not sure she really needs it you know. maybe post some more pictures of your bike as we all like to see these awesome machines :geek:.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay, sweet. Again, the bike sounds, runs, and pulls great. Haha here's my Z!! She's definitely got some war wounds but it's still an absolute blast to ride. Added a photo of the oil after it was sitting for a few minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bubbling typically happens ons short rides. It shouldnt be anything to worry about. On longer rides your oil shouldnt bubble at all

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your bike looks real good brother. I really like the windshield and I’m not typically a windshield person on a Z 1000. Here’s a link to the dealer service manuals for all the bikes. I thought it might help you in the future

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man, appreciate that! I'd like to get a smoother sounding exhaust, the Danmoto's are quite 'Brappy', but I don't mind them for now.

Thank you very much for the manual link!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts