Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
need some urgent advice.
I've noticed some oil leaking from gasket and tried to tighten the bolt.
I over tightened and snapped the bolt....:frown::frown::frown:

Please see pics. Is it still ridable to the nearest shop, possible 15-20min ride away???

Do you think it difficult to fix?

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
That appears to be just a valve cover bolt ,you should be fine to ride to mechanics. If you pull the cover yourself you may be able to grab what's left of the stub with vise grips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That appears to be just a valve cover bolt ,you should be fine to ride to mechanics. If you pull the cover yourself you may be able to grab what's left of the stub with vise grips.
really?

i found a engine diagram, there was oil leaking slowly from the gasket at this point (why i tightened the bolt)
so my guess in oil will spill out of the open hole..

mechanics here have quote me $500-700 for my stupidity.....

fks sake.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Those bolt holes don't carry any oil. The bolt has a shoulder and a rubber washer. You'll just have some oil leak out when running. Will make a mess but that's all. If you're already bottomed on the washer, no amount of tightening it will change anything and, as you found out, you can break the bolt.
You have to remove the valve cover and you'll probably be able to get the broken bolt out. Change all the rubber washers while you're in there. $500-700 to fix this is insane.

Mad

·
Registered
44 Posts
really?

i found a engine diagram, there was oil leaking slowly from the gasket at this point (why i tightened the bolt)
so my guess in oil will spill out of the open hole..

mechanics here have quote me $500-700 for my stupidity.....

fks sake.

OUCH $500-$700. Try replacing it yourself, that way you learn and save money. Youtube on how to get broken bolts out, get all the proper parts, ask us and replace it yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts