Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
They look good! Do you notice any diffrence? And did you put in other brakepads aswell?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
The gixxer Brembos M4's are monoblock, while the 3rd gen Z Tokico's are 2-piece, but that really only comes into play during extreme use when the caliper gets up to max operating temperature, where the 2-piece could technically warp while the monoblocks tends to not so much. The 4th gen already has monoblocks as standard, so there is not much to be gained on going with Brembos on that bike other than a bit of bling-bling and generally overall high standard of fit and finish.

Master cylinder size makes a much more noticeable difference than a caliper swap. I believe the stock Nissin m/c is a 19mm. I have personally switched to an 18mm Brembo 18MCS because I more prefer the feel of an undersized master cylinder for better modulation while trail breaking. A lot of people go oversize to a 20mm or 21mm for a more immediate initial bite (plus to some people bigger number = better), but if you look into what most races are using it's definitely a smaller master is prefered. Yes, a smaller master is going to feel a bit squishy to some, but that allows you better precision when modulating the brakes at corner entry. It's all a preference. Both Brembo and Magura have a higher end master cylinders like the Costa Corsa and HC3, that allows for an adjustable pivot that mimics different piston sizes, so that you can see if you like a harder or softer master better.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The gixxer Brembos M4's are monoblock, while the 3rd gen Z Tokico's are 2-piece, but that really only comes into play during extreme use when the caliper gets up to max operating temperature, where the 2-piece could technically warp while the monoblocks tends to not so much. The 4th gen already has monoblocks as standard, so there is not much to be gained on going with Brembos on that bike other than a bit of bling-bling and generally overall high standard of fit and finish.

Master cylinder size makes a much more noticeable difference than a caliper swap. I believe the stock Nissin m/c is a 19mm. I have personally switched to an 18mm Brembo 18MCS because I more prefer the feel of an undersized master cylinder for better modulation while trail breaking. A lot of people go oversize to a 20mm or 21mm for a more immediate initial bite (plus to some people bigger number = better), but if you look into what most races are using it's definitely a smaller master is prefered. Yes, a smaller master is going to feel a bit squishy to some, but that allows you better precision when modulating the brakes at corner entry. It's all a preference. Both Brembo and Magura have a higher end master cylinders like the Costa Corsa and HC3, that allows for an adjustable pivot that mimics different piston sizes, so that you can see if you like a harder or softer master better.
Thats some usefull info there !

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok, what is HK ?
Hong Kong.

If you're asking where the caliper is from, it's off of a 2013 and above GSX-R600/750, the 1000's came with the gold caliper with the red lettering , the 600/750 with the silver on silver lettering.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ive got HPKs for mine...blingy yes, but i had the option to get them at a good price... one thing i will say for them is first and foremost the old calipers felt "grindy" when needing alot of "brake" that could be the pads though....the new calipers give loads more feel and are more progressive...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ive got HPKs for mine...blingy yes, but i had the option to get them at a good price... one thing i will say for them is first and foremost the old calipers felt "grindy" when needing alot of "brake" that could be the pads though....the new calipers give loads more feel and are more progressive...
Sofa, your caliper's aren't blingy, those are fine motorcycle jewelry. If you find a good deal, get a Costa Corsa (or HC3) and play around with the simulated piston sizes and you will be amazed at how much more feel you can get out of those HPK's

·
Registered
912 Posts
If youre talking about the master cylinder im still rocking the stock on for a couple of reasons...first and foremost...it does feel really good. Ive got a brembo rcs and m50`s on the rsv4 and they feel brilliant. On the zed an rcs would give me the remote reservoir (the plastic tank) which constitutes "sticky out bits" and im try to keep that to a minimum....if the performance was sub par then id change it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts