Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you already have good 310mm rotors, I dont know if I would bother with an upgrade, just yet. The 310mm brembo rotors are better, but it's not worth upgrading if your stock rotors are still ok.

Good pads make a massive difference. Way more than a rotor swap, a d you can get great pads for 150.00. The brembo pads in the gsxr rotors are fairly awful. You'll want to replace them asap.

If I were buiyig from Kawasaki, I would buy zh2 rotors and their 320mm size. It has to be the zh2....not the h2, or h2sx...just the zh2.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i found this old post that suggests the vesrah pads.

·
Registered
417 Posts
if i wanted to use the stock calipers (no spacers req’d) , does any use one of these brembo rotors? website says they will fit.

also, can i use the zx14r as a direct replacement on the gen 4? think ungarish/rcannon said it will work but has any actual done this. sorry, just triple checking don’t mean any disrespect. also, are rotors sold as a set or individual? does one front rotor really cost +$450?

the front rotors are sold as a set here
Yes, they are $450 is per disc. I'm going to sell my Brembo 310mm discs, they are in great condition, no grooves, no warpage, I'm asking $280 for the pair, and for another $60 I'll throw in a matching Brembo rear disc. PM me if you're interested. For the 4th gen no spacers are required, for the 3rd gen you need 5mm spacers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes, those rotors will be fine. The Capri moto listing looks like they are advertised as a set, or pair, so that price appears to be for 2. But yes, Kawasaki is asking 450.00, each. That high cost is why we were both so happy to find those slightly used, zx14 rotors on ebay.

You didnt mention what year your z 1000 is. If it has 300mm fro t rotors, and you bolt on 310mm rotors, you have to account for this large diameter. Half of 10mm is 5mm. You will need 5mm spacers under your calipers. These are cheap, on ebay. Something like this:

4th gen already uses 310mm discs, while 3rd gen is 300mm, so for 4th gen no spacers are required

·
Registered
439 Posts
they are $283 per disc at the motorcyclespareparts website i found. i assume their legit, but never done business with that company. about $75 for shipping to the usa.

i did order the vesrah rjl front pad from sport bike track gear. yeah! the only bummer is i can’t seem to find the vesrah rjl brake pad for the rear. only the economy pad. any suggestions for the rear pad for improved performance?

·
Registered
417 Posts
they are $283 per disc at the motorcyclespareparts website i found. i assume their legit, but never done business with that company. about $75 for shipping to the usa.

i did order the vesrah rjl front pad from sport bike track gear. yeah! the only bummer is i can’t seem to find the vesrah rjl brake pad for the rear. only the economy pad. any suggestions for the rear pad for improved performance?
even at the price, might as well get T-Drives so you at least get a full floater. Or just buy mine for half the cost :oops:

·
Registered
439 Posts
are you going to put the “T-drive” rotors on your bike next? i’m not really comfortable buying used rotors. if i was totally strapped for cash and could verify the flatness/runout measurements i’d might consider it, but rather buy new. thanks for the offer though.

·
Registered
417 Posts
are going to put the “T-drive” rotors on your bike next? i’m not really comfortable buying used rotors. if i was totally strapped for cash and could verify the flatness measurements i’d might consider it, but rather buy new. thanks for the offer though.
yeah, I'm going to upgrade to the 320mm T-Drives discs a bit later in the summer. I currently have the GP4-RS calipers on order but they are on backorder until late June. At that time I'll swap all the discs out as well and sell off my current M4 calipers and 310mm discs.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Let's see....ungarish is currently using the rotors, with no issues, but they would no longer be flat if he sold them? Makes sense..

Or, if he were to sell warped rotors, to a forum member, no one would notice?

I'm glad people think like this. If they didn't, we wouldn't be able to buy these rotors , used, for pennies on the dollar.

·
Registered
439 Posts
well, i’m only speaking for myself. if i were to buy used rotors from anyone i would want to verify flatness/runout for my own piece of mind. not saying what other people should do. doesn’t equate to me being a bad person which seems like what you are suggesting. i don’t think there is anything wrong with my thinking, it’s just not what you might do. i don’t fault anyone for their choices so why do this to me?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well, of course you are a bad person....no, I didnt mean it that way and I'm sorry if it sounded like that.

No, i hope people will be responsible with used pieces they sell. If they offer it up to us forum members, disclose anything that's wrong, or might be wrong.

This is usually a pretty decent rotor set to consider , used. These are on the zx14 se bike. They are thicker than our normal discs, but I for sure understand wanting to be careful with any used purchase.

·
Registered
417 Posts
well, i’m only speaking for myself. if i were to buy used rotors from anyone i would want to verify flatness/runout for my own piece of mind. not saying what other people should do. doesn’t equate to me being a bad person which seems like what you are suggesting. i don’t think there is anything wrong with my thinking, it’s just not what you might do. i don’t fault anyone for their choices so why do this to me?
RC's been on these forums for too long, 9 years makes you a bit cynical 🤣

Regardless, functionally i can confirm that these are not warped and not grooved. Do they look brand new? nope, if they were brand new then I would probably be asking a bit more for them. They have brake pad material on them, AKA glazing but that comes off with a scotch brite / brillo pad, and some elbow grease. I didn't bother cleaning it because I don't think it really makes much difference, not in their current condition. These discs have stopped down from 145mph in 3 seconds on a regular basis, I really don't think there is anything wrong with them as is. Like RC said, they are thicker than stock, so they absorb / dissipate heat better, very hard to actually warp them, and they are too new to have visible grooves from pad wear.

De-Glazing:

I posted them on 13X, where there is probably a bigger market for them than on these forums. These also fit certain years of ZX6r and ZX10r's

21 - 33 of 33 Posts