Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just find out in this forum you should ride no more than 4000rpm in the first 400 miles.
I just got my z1000 from a different state so I rode back for 145 miles on highway, maybe 6000 rpm to 7000rpm
Did I ruin my bike?
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
The RPM isn't as much of a problem. That straight 145 miles on the highway would be more of an issue. During break in you want to go up and down the RPM range instead of keeping it at a certain RPM for long periods of time.

I tried (key word tried) to keep mine at or below 5000rpm till the first oil change at 600 miles. Then tried to keep it at or below 7000 till around 1500 miles. Then I put a full exhaust, programmer, intake, kleen air delete etc... on it and rode the hell out of it. Now I have over 8000 miles on her and she's still runnin strong.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Its funny, really, to hear so many opinions on break in..was this good, or bad....?

This bike has been available since late 2009. That, what, almost seven years worth of this style z 1000? And thats without ever mentioning the ninja 1000, which uses this same engine.

I would think thats long enough that we should be seeing problems related to this "bad" break in so many warn us about, isn't it? Or, did every previous owner do a correct break in,and yours is the first that was "badly" broken in?

If this was anything, we would have seen problems, or maybe that takes 10 years to surface?

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
I rode my quad like I stole it and now it uses more oil than a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have heard so many opinions on break in my head was about to break in.

My 2016 z1k has about 250 on the clock now. Riding it like I stole it from the first mile.

If something breaks I have warranty until next year.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I did follow the break in they said in the book, but not for as long as they said. I don't ride very far so it would have taken me 6 months to break it in following their mileage. I think varying RPMs is the most important part for a couple hundred miles and I personally would not beat the bag out of it until the first service. I still don't beat the bag out of it but I'll get close to the rev limiter now. I don't think you will see any immediate issues but down the road you might see more oil consumption or loss of compression sooner than someone who followed break in procedure. Just my opinion. Everyone has their own way.

·
Super Moderator
3,069 Posts
According to the engineers at Mercury Marine that were on the racing program back when my buddy's dad owned the marina and did lots of testing for Mercury, they can tell how the engines were broken in when they pull them apart. Sure boats are different as you just set the throttle and it stays at the same RPM all day long, but it's still an engine. I have also been around some engine builders most of my life so I'll listen to what they say based off their experience.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I heard a ducati regional rep comment that the only issues he ever saw, related to breka in, were those who broke in easy.

The rings would not seat properly and the bikes burned oil.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hell, ride it like you stole it!! Up and down the Rs like 92K1500 said.
Exactly. The most important thing about engine break in is seating the rings and a good way to do that is to put load on the engine which forces the rings up against the cylinder walls. Hell 24 hours after I bought mine I did a top speed run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts