Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the brakes on the Ninja 1000 were not very responsive, but improved over time. Well, ive given it enough time, and they just are not cutting it. Esp since yesterday i had a close call where i came around a blind corner to find a car stopped in the road waiting for a semi to navigate under a tight bridge. Needless to say the brakes didnt cut it, and i had to split the semi and the car, still not sure how i had the room. But i know if i had better brakes i would have been able to stop in time. So have you guys upgraded the brake pads, if so what have you used and whats results have you had? Thanks

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
JSharp is always complaining about his rear brake on his ninja 1k...... WTF Kaw Gods!?

Wisedog- If you find a good solution, I am sure he would like to know about it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
What are you looking for? I don't know about the ninja 1k, but most sport and sport touring bike's brakes are able to lock the front up with enough pressure. Is the ninja 1k any different?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The brakes just dont have any bite, i think the main issue is the brake pads they just dont have enough friction.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I believe Jim described it something like trying to clamp down on the rotor with hardwood blocks or something to that effect, lol

·
Registered
440 Posts
400 miles on my odo and I can lock up the front and rear easily. I also have decent feel. It requires a bit of effort so I will probably put braided lines on when I change out the brake fluid in about a year from now.

Wisedog, do you have ABS or no ABS?

If you have ABS, getting pads with better friction won't do you any good. I learned a long time ago, that ABS will negate any benefit you think you will get. ABS' job is to prevent you fro locking up afterall.

If you don't have ABS, the EBC HH pads will do you just fine. If you also want better feel replace the lines with braided hose.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My fronts have broken and and they're OK. Not great, but OK. Adequate power it just takes more lever than I'd like.

The rear OTOH is just about useless. I'm not sure I can lock the rear wheel even in gravel. My kid rode it the other night and noticed it right away too so it's not just me. I've been using it more to see if it'll bed in and start to bite a little harder but no luck so far and my bike has 3600 miles.

I suppose there's a blessing. I'll never need to worry about high siding from locking the rear... That must be the Mama Kaw version of ABS for US riders. :lol:

I'll probably go with braided lines this winter. At that point I'll decide if I want to replace the pads too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Vesrah makes a great sintered metal pad. They advertise one finger braking on their fronts. I installed them last spring and with braided lines I must say one finger is all you need. VERY PRICEY for the fronts and about average cost for the rear. metal 8

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the Advice, i just ordered some EBC HH pads, and a new 190/55 rear. The tire is irrelevant to the brakes, just anxious to see how the handling improves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts