Kawasaki Z1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you guys change brake pads and rotors? I have around 6500 miles, still look and feels ok. I was looking some EBC rotors and they were $700. I never had to change them in any of my bikes. How much are the pads? And last question. Is it a DIY job? Thanks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
OK, not an easy question but here goes. The '07 pads have a groove cut in the pad and the book says when that is gone it is time to change. As for the rotors, hopefully never! They cost too much and if you keep up on you pads the rotors should last a long, long time. Of course the book gives you a minimum thinkness. I have close to 18k on my bike and the rotors still look good and measured out fine when I changed the brakes a couple months ago.
Another 2nd gen, yeah!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Vesrah Brake Pads! They work as advertised, "One finger braking" however, the charge like they were gold at $180.00 for the fronts! Any stintered pads are good. It all depends on how you ride and what you are looking for. Soft organic pads will help those expensive rotors live longer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
180 for pads another, 200 for the rear tire, 170 for levers, maybe a new exhaust ohhh and a few bucks for brake lines. They add up don't they?? and the list is still full..

·
Registered
555 Posts
And you are just talking about stuff for the bike. Don't forget the safety stuff like helmet, boots, gloves, leathers etc. All this bike stuff costs a fortune! Don't forget what you are wearing is more important then what you are looking at.
Be safe out there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First Gear and aerostitch. I have already invested on all these. the only thing i dont have is a one piece leather suit. which is useless in ohio...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't have a one piece either. I'll rent if I ever go to do track days. They just don't look that comfortable and are definately too hot for the summer weather around here. I know they are a good idea for protection but there are many other good choices out there too. And I can think of several things I'd like to have for the bike with all that money. A naked chick on the back perhaps??? They can get real expensive! And talk about a waste of money... lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Numb hands

OK, not an easy question but here goes. The '07 pads have a groove cut in the pad and the book says when that is gone it is time to change. As for the rotors, hopefully never! They cost too much and if you keep up on you pads the rotors should last a long, long time. Of course the book gives you a minimum thinkness. I have close to 18k on my bike and the rotors still look good and measured out fine when I changed the brakes a couple months ago.
Another 2nd gen, yeah!
After 5 minutes of riding my hands are painfully numb. How much improvement or changed did you notice by adding aluminum bars, risers, Vibranators, and Grip Puppies? Any suggestions? Thanks.
2008 stock Z1000

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
How often do you guys change brake pads and rotors? I have around 6500 miles, still look and feels ok. I was looking some EBC rotors and they were $700. I never had to change them in any of my bikes. How much are the pads? And last question. Is it a DIY job? Thanks.
I have 27,000 miles on my '03's original pads/rotors. I will be changing them this season though. Yes, this is a DIY job. I have removed the rotors before, and even installed a new set of front wheel bearings....... all by myself. @ 6500 miles you got no worries, but possibly tires. :eek:ccasion:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Bar Buzz

After 5 minutes of riding my hands are painfully numb. How much improvement or changed did you notice by adding aluminum bars, risers, Vibranators, and Grip Puppies? Any suggestions? Thanks.
2008 stock Z1000
I know exactly what you mean about your hands. First off, you have to relax and loosen your grip. That came from the instructional DVD called "A Twist of the Wrist Volume 2" and it really does help. Too small of glove will add to your pain also. A real good video I recommend to everyone riding a motorcycle.
The aluminum bars (first recommened Mod) were on the bike when I got it. It still vibrated bit more then I wanted so I started doing my research. The bar risers are solid aluminum so they were added just to get the bars up higher and back more toward the rider so I could sit up straighter then stock. I've had 3 back surgeries and needed to sit up straight to last all day. After tons of reading I came up with the "Grip Puppies" for $10 that just slip over your stock grips. For $10 I had to try them: Grip Covers - Grab On Foam Grip Covers - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories
I didn't buy them here but you get the idea what they look like. They also helped and I liked the larger Diameter of the grips cuz I have big hands.
The biggest difference were the "Vibranators" I bought the model with the barend weights figuring from what I learned was adding weights really help also. Here is a link: Vibranator.com It virtually removed all vibration from 0 to 5,000 rpm! You can talk directly to the owner/engineer that designed them, let him know what you are looking for and he can adjust to suit. I still get a little bar buzz over up over 6,000 but most the time I'm not cruising in those ranges anyway.
Last but not least there was one mod I read about that I didn't try and supposedly works also. Fill your bars with lead shot from a gun shop. Some people even added silicone with the shot. The cost of the shot was over 50 dollars and the weight of the bars would be conciderable. That is when I decided on the Vibranators and never looked back.
I hoped this helps and answers your questions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 27,000 miles on my '03's original pads/rotors. I will be changing them this season though. Yes, this is a DIY job. I have removed the rotors before, and even installed a new set of front wheel bearings....... all by myself. @ 6500 miles you got no worries, but possibly tires. :eek:ccasion:
I have already chanded them. i went with the contis road atacks. Not very happy with them. it takes a long time to warm up and feel the grip. Very good in rain though. 2000 miles on them and they started to square in the rear.

·
Registered
752 Posts

I change pads when needed. Ive only ever had to change rotors once, on my old ZX7RR, after 10+ years of EBC sintered metalic pad use. EBD Double H pads are good...cost is dependant on application...

It really is a DIY job. Two bolts hold the caliper to the bracket - remove those and the brake caliper comes right off. There is then usually one bolt that holds the pads in place...remove the old pads, push the brake pistons back into the caliper (might take the use of a set of channel locks to do so...) and then install the new pads. Pump the hand brake a couple of times and VOILA! Youre done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts